RPGS

rackish

Any of you guys play RPG? I never have, only Diablo II. I'm looking forward to game called Fable from microsoft for Xbox, I don't really know much about it, I saw a trailer and thought it was cool. Any RPG fans, any games you guys have that are worth buying/renting for ps2/xbox?

(edited)

FF3 (SNES), FF Tactics (PS1), Chrono Trigger (SNES), Secret of Mana (SNES)

So far XBox has no RPGs worth playing from what I've seen. Basically you can't go wrong with any Final Fantasy as long as it's 3 and on, except maybe FF8.

Edited by Hitman

Final Fantasy X is a video game that actually made me cry (I'm a big softy but the only movie ever to make me cry was Rudy). Very awesome game.

If you play all the way through FF 10, THEN play Final Fantasy X-2.

If you can deal with PS1, I'd really sugguest Final Fantasy VII, and IX, as well as Final Fantasy Tactics (Strategy RPG...very addictive).

Kingdom Hearts is pretty cool. (I'm a huge Squaresoft fan)

Xenosage is also pretty cool.

Thats all I can think of for now.

I'm lookin forward to Fable. If it actually turns out well, then I'll buy an XBox.

FF3 (SNES), FF Tactics (PS1), Chrono Trigger (SNES),  Secret of Mana (SNES)

So far XBox has no RPGs worth playing from what I've seen.  Basically you can't go wrong with any Final Fantasy as long as it's 3 and on, except maybe FF8.

Actually I myself think that 3 was the last great FF game. FF 2 was great, 1 started it all and 2, 3 and 5 never came out in the US. You have to understand that 2 here was 4 in japan and 3 here was 6 in japan. 2 and 5 have since been rereleased but 5 suffers from horrible PSX load times. 3 was the last pure FF game. After that there were too many lame mini games that had too much of an impact on the game. Side quests and mini games are fine but they shouldnt give you uber items and they shouldnt be ridiculous/random.

Crono Trigger was great so was Crono Cross. Secret of Mana was great Im currently playing through Sword of Mana on GBA. FF Tactics was great and I recently finished off FFT Advance which was a great sequel, better in some ways, not as good in others. Oh and FF8 was great. Had the best story post 6(3) 9 was the biggest load of poop ever. Other good RPGs Zelda was always an adventure/action/rpg great games though. The Breath of Fire series isnt bad for RPGs and Golden Sun was good stuff.

Hmph. I have a ps2 and an xbox and I want a good rpg, I hear knights of the old republic is good? I never really got into Final Fatasy, it sounds like the best RPG of all time from the way I heard of it. If I were to buy it, which one should I start with? thanks!

RPGs are da' debil! I know I wasted enough time on Diablo II and Dungeon Siege and I don't even care for RPGs in the first place. I can only imagine how much time one wastes when they actually like to play that type of game. I have a friend who plays Galaxies and he was all excited when he found a herd of respawning carnivores (he was a medic and needed it to make a potion that would sell for a lot). He said something to the effects of "Wow, I could stay here all day and collect meat...cool".

Actually I myself think that 3 was the last great FF game.  FF 2 was great, 1 started it all and 2, 3 and 5 never came out in the US.  You have to understand that 2 here was 4 in japan and 3 here was 6 in japan.  2 and 5 have since been rereleased but 5 suffers from horrible PSX load times.  3 was the last pure FF game.  After that there were too many lame mini games that had too much of an impact on the game.  Side quests and mini games are fine but they shouldnt give you uber items and they shouldnt be ridiculous/random.

FF3 is totally my favorite Final Fantasy. I have Final Fantasy Anthologies, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Final Fantasy 9 (which I actually haven't opened yet), but FF3 is still the best in my opinion.

You RPG fans need to try out The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Excellent game (on Xbox, not sure about PS2). I've played the PC version, Xbox is the same pretty much. The Game of the Year edition comes with the Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions. It's a very linear RPG. You can follow the (great) story, or just go your own way killing monsters, doing side quests, collecting literally hundreds of weapons, many unique. It's a first person, hack and slash type game. If ya get the PC version, you can play with the hundreds of mods that have been released, like MUCH better body models, with sexy underwear...or none at all.... :lol:

HEY SMARTIES!!!! LISTEN UP!!!!

He says hes got a PS2 and an XBox. That means he doesn't have an SNES, an NES, a Gamecube, a N64, an Atari, or a computer. Wakeup.

I'd start with Final Fantasy X. Its one of the best RPS's of all time. If ya can dig it, then I'd try the PS1 (you will need a PS1 memory card for your PS2 to save) Final Fantasy's. There really haven't been a great number of good RPG's on the new consoles. I find myself constantly looking for new ones to no availe. Oh well, only 1 more year before Final Fantasy XII.

The best RPG ever made, in my opinion, was Chrono Trigger. But, on next-gen systems, there hasn't been much to offer a great storyline like the old-school (snes mostly) RPGs. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was a great addition to the RPG family, as well as all the Final Fantasies on PS1. The next-gen systems such as Gamecube, Xbox, and PS2 just don't have that same storyline affect as abundently as the older systems did. I give the point that Final Fantasy X was a great game. I sometimes play my last-saved game on there just to see the ending, and how well everthing is tied together by it all. But there aren't very many truly grand RPGs on the systems we now play. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker was a great game, but it lacked playtime-length and everthing. I'm not saying it wasn't an enjoyable experience, far from it, but it still doesn't compare to its predecessor, Ocarina of Time.

Now to look forward to what are in the plans for the future of RPG's:

- Right now we have the king of the expectations hill for 2004 which has to be Fable. This game was originally developed for a past system, Dreamcast I believe, but was picked up for Xbox before the system ever released. The idea behind this game is that ever choice and action you make affects everthing from how your character looks to how you are treated by the locals. Relationships can spring at random with the NPC's and the story can be led in a completely different direction evertime it is replayed. Big Blue Box has had plenty of time to get this game shaped up for our tastes, and hopefully when the present release of May comes around, it'll quench the thirst that Xbox owners have had for an RPG that isn't so horrible to play you'd rather organize your grandma's underwear drawer than play the game.

- Final Fantasy: Chrystal Chronicles for Gamecube isn't your usual FF game. It's going to be a multi-player FF game, played with a gameboy advance instead of your usual cumbersome gamecube controller. The gameboy will act as your menu so you can organize your character's items and such without having the three friends you're playing with pause on the main screen of the game. This FF involves teamwork, but at the same time that thrilling idea comes around the old-school stuff such as summons and other classic features leave the game. This will play more like a Secret of Mana game or Gauntlet on steroids. Scheduled for a February release.

- True Fantasy Live Online is another good prospect for Xbox owners wanting a nice RPG to own. Developed by Level 5, the makers of Dark Cloud 2, this game has the talent behind it to make it good. Your character's appearance will change with your actions, much like Fable, only I expect to a lesser degree. But the up-side of this is that you will have a huge changing world, (with 4 realms), to explore and beat the crap outta NPCs and other Xboxers alike. This is scheduled for a Spring 2004 release.

- Xenosaga Episode 2: Beyond Good and Evil is an up-and-coming PS2 release that will have fans of the original standing in line at the opening hour of their local Wal-Marts and Best Buys. The story continues where the original left off, with a new character being exposed and news that the original heroine has taken a back seat to Junior. Not much is known about this game as of yet, except that the graphics are much better, along with the character design. The release date for this game is TBA.

- Kingdom Hearts 2 is slated for a 1st quarter release in 2004. From early talks in the gaming community this one is supposed to continue from the last one with all the characters more grown up, and a bit edgier, for a disney/squaresoft game anyhow. Expect more info on this PS2 game as the advertising campaign for it starts in mid-february.

So there ya go. There's what rpg's we have looking at us for right now in 2004. But, also expect Final Fantasy XII to hit maybe around the holidays in 2004. It's slated for an early 2005 release, but both Final Fantasy X, X-2, and XI have been released early in the states. This trend might continue into the next installment. Hope this is informative to you all

Master Gamer Lance :D

HEY SMARTIES!!!!  LISTEN UP!!!!

He says hes got a PS2 and an XBox.  That means he doesn't have an SNES, an NES, a Gamecube, a N64, an Atari, or a computer.  Wakeup.

If he didn't have a computer....then how is he posting on this site, White? :P

Guest Draft
Guest Draft
Guest Draft
Guests

I love RPGs, games with a story to them are the easiest to get into...(as opposed to the run around and shoot anything that moves games *COUGH* Counterstrike *COUGH*)

but that said Chrono Trigger is by far and away the best rpg ive ever played

and just about any of the Final Fantasies is worth playing through at least once (3, 10, and 7 are my favorites, in that order)