NEED HELP !

BIGSHaW

Hi guyz, well...Im still fighting with the virus on my friend's puter...what I got so far:

I know the virus in NOT on hard drive, its somewhere on the mobo for sure cuz I tested it...(intel 810e)

I did: Updated BIOS, took out CMOS battery for 10 mins and reset it.

I dunno what kinda virus is this nor do I have any idea how to flush it off the MOBO other than buy a new one wich would be unfavourable :(

Please guyz, if anyone has any idea or though on what I could possibly do in this situation....plz share cuz I ran out of ideas

Thanks

capacitors? don't get it Homer...are you serious?

I know this virus is NOT on HD cuz I took off the HD and run Norton Anti-Virus 04 through it...came up clean, then I took my old HD and tried to run it with broken PC and I got same results as b4, hard reboot on the windows start up :(

Could the virus kill mobo? is it possible?

Fried hardware is a rare occurence with a virus, but it is possible.

You need to know exactly what the system was hacked with. Do you mean hacked with a virus? Hacked actively and they were in control of his system? Hacked because he was running no security, and had Windows' security features turned off?

Running Norton AV on it may not eliminate a virus, if it was a virus. A clean wipe of the hard drive would be the only way to sure - as in not just reformatting but repartitioning as well.

As for clipping capacitors - I was joking. But it seems like a good way to get rid of Gremlins! :P

Without more specific info on the "friend got hacked" situation it'd be hard to say for certain, but it sounds like the mobo is toast either through a virus or just that it's time was up.

I think this is what is puzzling most of us:

its somewhere on the mobo for sure cuz I tested it...(intel 810e)

Other than flashing the CMOS there isn't much to be done to a mobo.

Sounds like the perfect time for your friend to upgrade, tell him for whatever reason the mobo is a goner and let him decide what to do.

shaw from my experience tell your freind to dump it. When you flash the bios it overwrites the existing data it does not append. It is possible for the virus to make it so it cannot be removed. Its software and they can do just about anything with it.

I agree with the other guys man find a 810e for cheap like this one

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/justdeals/gain...in3iwmotso.html

this one has no agp slot so I wouldnt bother with it. Find a socket 370 with a 4x agp at least.

but better yet get a athlon xp or a p4 800 mhz bus with a 8x agp.

Sorry bout the issues.

auggybendoggy

I know this virus is NOT on HD cuz I took off the HD and run Norton Anti-Virus 04 through it...came up clean, then I took my old HD and tried to run it with broken PC and I got same results as b4, hard reboot on the windows start up :(

First off Symantic's virus scanners are about worth their weight in spit....too many times have I been fixing PC's and symantic doesnt see anything yeah other virus protections have cleaned it. Secondly it doesnt seem at all like it "got hacked" there is nothing that someone can do from an outside source to fry or physically damage your MOBO. Electroncs sometimes just "go" and in the case of open architecture electronics such as most PC's it happens more than you think. Before going out and buying a new MOBO start swapping parts one by one to find tha cause.

I have encountered many crazy things in my Bench tech days. I had CD-ROMS cause a PC to not start or load an OS correctly, NIC cards cause "blkue screens of death" , RAM mess tons of stuff up......before you jump to conclusions of it being a MOBO as I said start troubleshooting more before you spend money.

I think it is possible for the virus to get into the bios...flashing would not help because the buggers then load into memory and put themselves back into the new bios. I would think this is rare & probably not the case.

Have you tried booting this puter from a floppy? How far into the windows boot does it make it before restarting? Did you try using safe mode?

flashing would not help because the buggers then load into memory and put themselves back into the new bios

if you take off the jumpers and take out the battery i thought it clears everything... i dont see how it could still remain assuming that this is even whats wrong with it

No jumpers, but you could always pop off the battery for an extended period of time (some older systems I believe needed to have the battery removed for longer than a day) and it would default back to the system default settings. Only problem here is, if it is a virus and it overwrote the BIOS, then it is now the default. But for all that you have tried on this thing, it sounds more like a HW issue to me.