Cooking advice for da noob

Playaa

so remember that I have just recently moved out of my parents home where my mother is an amazing cook (evidence seen in the fact that I am fat as well as the rest of my family)...that being said...I can't cook a thing...well actually I can make soup (open can, add water, microwave) or....reheat food....

I CAN MAKE A SANDWICH!

anyway...

my roomate and myself bought a rice steamer (due to Homer's suggestion) and we're waiting for it to be delivered (bought off of overstock.com I think) and I realized we had a Wok in the house...so he and I (he not being a cook either) decide to see what we can do...let's just say that we didn't realize until halfway through that the rice wouldn't absorb oils like it does water...so we ruined the first batch of fried rice...no biggie...we'll try again after we get the steamer.

now the question is...is that how to make fried rice?

steam the rice then add it to other ingredients in the wok?

what do you use in the wok?...cooking oil? soy sauce?

just trying to get a feel for this...(btw Homie...got the lite soy sauce too...that's some gross stuff :D )

Since I'm half Korean...

I use a REAL rice cooker...not the Americanized kind...

anyways..

1) Cook Rice

2) Chop up veggies

3) Chop meat (dead cow, etc...)

4) Use Seasme Seed Oil (Asian Store Store)

5) Sautee Veggies in a littel OIl (Careful Seasme Oil is very Flavorful...use a little) till soft

6) Add Meat...cook till done

7) Add rice, Seasme Seeds (not oil) and some Soy Sauce

8) Mix well...

9) Enjoy...

Well, thats how I make it.

I'm no chef (like TeflonBulletCatcher), but I do love to cook....

Edited by redeyez

This recipe > you

Prep time: under 5 minutes

Cook time: 30 minutes (stir a couple of times)

White Beans Provencal (pro - von - soll)

4 servings

Try with sauteed veal chops or slices of grilled eggplant in summer.

2 cloves garlic

2 cans (16 oz.) white cannellini beans or chick peas (I used S&W white beans)

1 tablespoon olive oil

1.4 teaspoon fennel seeds

1.4 teaspoon dried thyme

1 can (16 oz.) Italian-style stewed tomatoes (S&W again)

Salt and pepper to taste

1. Mince the garlic. Rinse and drain the beans (I just dumped a little of the water off and poured the cans in.)

2. Heat the oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic, fennel seeds, and thyme and saute for a few seconds until you can smell their aroma.

3. Add the beans and tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered until you're ready to serve, at least 15 or up to 30 minutes. If too much liquid is evaporating, remove the pan from the heat and reheat the beans covered before serving.

I made a double batch and it was more like 6 servings using it as a main course. It is a nice easy side dish, or it can be a main dish with a low-fat kielbasa thrown in.

Edit: Practice a time or two for yourself, then it is a great tasting and smelling dish to impress a date. :wub:

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

What if your name is Jared? :P

Another good recipe:

Scrambeled egg whites

Mix skim milk and ~ 5 eggwhites together

Heat on frying pan for 5 minutes

Keep active spatula on it

Salt/Pepper to taste

Fast, easy, good source of protein.

FYI, not sure on amounts, I buy actual egg whites (as I have no use for the yolk) and just kinda mix it in with the milk till I get the right amount in the frying pan :)

Add ketchup if necessary

yeah... you dont need to buy them... you can take the eggs crack it in half and move the yolk to egg shell to egg shell and the whites come out wit out the yolk...

Meh

less exspencive

NuT- :o

Playaa, go get you the Betty Crocker cookbook.. Just the basic one witht he red and white cover.. Lotsa good and easy recipes.. I love to cook too.. :)

For what it's worth, the last trip to the japanese steakhouse, I saw the chef making the fried rice.. Lotsa soy sauce, the veggies of course, and he used an egg or two.. Make sure you mix it up good.. I'd steam the rice first and get it nice and tender then fry it up in the wok a bit.. or a skillet for that matter.. Then yeah, like dweeze said, when yer done with the wok, lightly coat it with peanut oil or sesame? I always used peanut oil.. THe wok will get this nice dark coloring to it.. Kinda like a well used cookie tray.. W00t!

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

I know captain :P

But there's not much of a price difference (I figured it out a while ago, it was pennies) and it's alot faster.. so :D

THe wok will get this nice dark coloring to it.. Kinda like a well used cookie tray..

this is already an old wok.

my roomate is asian (Vietnamese) and this was his uncles house before we moved in....and the wok is his.