pwned by walking

Playaa

so the walking every day pwned me...

I haven't done it in 2 weeks (and actually after 3 weeks of doing it I gained 5lbs :unsure: )

I could never get myself pumped about it and it bored the crap out of me...

so the new plan....DDR@Home

I bought a pad and am now trying to decide between a ps1/DDR game or a USB Convertor/PC DDR game

whichever is cheaper is what I'll do

I figure that at least I can be slightly entertained while I work out...anyone ever tried this?

have any advice on which route to take?

Do it a lot and with gusto would be my suggestion. I know some people who have DDR at home and do it pretty regularly -- not a lot every day, mind you -- and have put on a few pounds since getting the pad.

How's the diet (food consumed, not fad-type thing)? That could make a big difference, too.

Oh, and make sure you're getting enough water. If you want to break down bigger products (fats, protiens, carbs) the metabolic process involves hydrolysis, so you're going to prevent the breakdown of these molecules if you aren't properly hydrated.

P.S. -- Good luck, man! We gots your back!

Edited by appalachian_fox

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests
No carbs...  I heard that helps?

Sure, if you want to get sick and risk death.

My guess is gained the weight due to your diet changes (I remember you were drinking a lot of high sugar drinks.. tea/juice).

Lots of water, skim milk, 0% fat cheese (yes it exists.. not much flavour but better than the alternative ;o), 0 fat ham, .. just go low fat, don't eat excessive carbs (read: don't eat as much) and a decent amount of protein and you'll do just fine.

DDR is a decent workout, but swimming/running would still be better... though I suppose if you're self conscious about your weight (not sure if you are, just stating it's a possiblity - no insult meant) then running is really your only option.

For the people that are hardcore with it playaa, I've heard some major success stories from DDR, but I mean HARDCORE. SO if you're going to go about it, give it all ya can stand, else I dunno if it'll do much at all. BTW, he's right about the water. I stopped drinking anything but water for a while and dropped several lbs in just a week or two and I wasnt doing ANYTHING else.

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests
No carbs...  I heard that helps?
don't eat excessive carbs (read: don't eat as much)

Ah, Thats what I meant. :o

Big difference :D

Atkins = almost no carbs at all

Healthy = 30% ish of your calories from carbs *

* Atkins is about 10%, I think.. but don't quote me on it =).

I almost forgot...My mom takes Chromium supplements (I think it's called Chromium Picolinate) that she swears by. Says she's shedded a few pounds just taking them. Apparently it helps the metabolic processing of sugars and other less complex carbohydrates and it's not uncommon to suggest to insulin-dependent diabetic patients now. I tried it, I didn't notice much weight loss but I did notice more muslce mass...My exercising returned more results.

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests
Find and abandoned stair well, and do it like Rocky does.

Really though stairs are an awesome way to lose weight if you have good knees.

I think Playaa has bad knees and that's why he was walking and not running..?

mostly my problem isn't my diet...I don't eat a ton of junk food...my diet isn't the healthiest but it's far from the worst...

my problem is inactivity. I'm a computer programmer so I wake up in the morning go to work and sit in a chair for 8 to 10 hours...then when I get off I go home and sit in a chair to play video games...

I get winded walked up stairs quickly...playing with my roommates dog is a workout (albeit a fun one...she's an awesome dog)...

so basically with DDR I'm just hoping to get my body active and my metabolism working a bit...

as for swimming....no time to get to a pool...and running...well I already don't have the best knees/ankles and throwing 300lbs of force on them isn't going to help (yes I weigh 290lbs)

and the water thing...well see I try to drink water...but if I can't keep the water ice cold all day long I end up feeling sick to my stomach...and even when it is ice cold I don't get through half of my 1 liter bottle in a day...lately however I've been making Crystal Light and drinking it all day...at least with it I'm finishing my 1 liter bottle + some each day....and Crystal Light is the closest I can get to water without it being water...

Crystal Light is the stuff without sugar, right? That's not a bad solution if water's not going to work. You can also get away with hot drinks like teas, but the same things apply -- Don't sweeten it with a bunch of sugar. A cup or two of coffee wouldn't be bad. Mix it up.

Also, I don't know what arrangements are like at work, so this may not be possible (considering the cold water requirements) but consider a bunch of smaller bottles instead of one big one. Maybe you could pack a small lunchpail-sized cooler with one of those freezer bricks and a few small bottles of water? Then you could drink at leisure. I know I don't usually down a liter of water at a time, so I can imagine that doesn't work.

Maybe, also, have a small glass of water in the morning, one once you get home, one before you go to bed...Don't force yourself to finish if you don't want it, but at least go through the motions of having a few sips. It'll be cold and a few small cups add up.

Best of luck, Playaa, we're all rooting for you!

:boing:

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

Well, I still think running would be that bad for them.

It's not going to be great for them obviously; but football players run, and I'm sure there's linebackers over 300 lbs running on their knees, and they're not all in the greatest shape (beer belly anyone?).

Best advice I could give you is don't give yourself excuses (ie: knee's) the last thign you want to do is spend more time thinking up reasons to not do something then doing it :)

GL!

• 2 weeks later...

well...just got my DDR pad in today and finished my first DDR session of like 15 minutes and I am SWEATIN!

and it was FUN!

that has got to be the absolute coolest way to work out ever...and the difference between this and say a treadmill or a gym or pool...this cost me $30 and I can do it for ever...

fun fun fun

sign up at a gym with a pool and swim. Dont see too many fat fish around.  :unsure:

or learn to fly, cause there's not many fat birds either! i'd go with flying, it's gotta burn some serious calories.

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests
sign up at a gym with a pool and swim. Dont see too many fat fish around. :unsure:

or learn to fly, cause there's not many fat birds either! i'd go with flying, it's gotta burn some serious calories.

Just make sure you find a high place to start from and take a big jump.

Flapping your arms should work , right?!

still enjoying my DDR times...don't know if it's gonna make me lose weight quickly but drinking Crystal Light all the time (which is basically flavored water) and doing DDR for 30 minutes a day sure can't hurt.

sign up at a gym with a pool and swim. Dont see too many fat fish around.   :unsure:

Just make sure you find a high place to start from and take a big jump.

Flapping your arms should work , right?!

There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day, it suggests, and try it.

“The first part is easy. All it requires is simply the ability to throw yourself forward with all your weight, and the willingness not to mind that it’s going to hurt. That is, it’s going to hurt if you fail to miss the ground.

“Most people fail to miss the ground and if they are really trying properly, the likelihood is that they will fail to miss it fairly hard. Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.

“One problem is that you have to miss the ground accidentally. It’s no good deliberately intending to miss the ground because you won’t. You have to have your attention suddenly distracted by something else when you’re halfway there, so that you are no longer thinking about falling, or about the ground or about how much it’s going to hurt if you fail to miss it.

“It is notoriously difficult to prize your attention away from these three things during the split second you have at your disposal. Hence most people’s failure, and their eventual disillusionment with this exhilarating and spectacular sport.

“If, however, you are lucky enough to have your attention momen-tarily distracted at the crucial moment by, say, a gorgeous pair of legs (tentacles, pseudopodia, according to phyllum and/or personal inclination) or a bomb going off in your vicinity, or by suddenly spotting an extremely rare species of beetle crawling along a nearby twig, then in your astonish-ment you will miss the ground completely and remain bobbing just a few inches above it in what might seem to be a slightly foolish manner.

“This is a moment for superb and delicate concentration.