new video card

I've been thinking about getting a new graphics card since mine is pretty outdated. Right now I have a GeForce 2 64mb card, and I'd like something a little more powerful, but I really don't know much about any video cards.

Would anyone suggest me a pretty good card near the $200 range that'll last me awhile and able me to up my video settings on some demanding next-generation games?

I have a P4 1.6 ghz comp with 768 mb of ram, so I dont want a card that will overpower me/slow me down, if that's possible :D

I've got the 9800pro and am happy with it. I only have 512mb of ram and have learned that that's not really enough for the card to reach its full potential. With 768 not sure what it'll do, but it's a big step from a GF2 64mb (which I also have in one of my comps).

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

That card upgrade will not do much for you with only a 1.6 P4. I had a 1.7 P4 at my work and the thing was much much slower than my 1.3 Duron system. Those first gen P4's are terribly slow. You may want to try going for a full system upgrade or a piece at a time.

Hmmm, alrirght. But if I go with a 9800 pro (since I only have a 1.6 P4) will I be able to use the card to its full extent? Or will I have poor frames or lag since the computer is only 1.6 ghz? Keep in mind that I do have 768 ram. I'm not sure what's important between ram and processor speed. :(

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Hmmm, alrirght. But if I go with a 9800 pro (since I only have a 1.6 P4) will I be able to use the card to its full extent? Or will I have poor frames or lag since the computer is only 1.6 ghz? Keep in mind that I do have 768 ram. I'm not sure what's important between ram and processor speed. :(

you WILL get better frame rates and better Image Quality but only to a limit due to your CPU. You will be able to use AA and AF in most older games. Just your fps will only go so high.

I wouldn't buy a sapphire......but I can't remember why :/ It's been since December that I bought the 9800 pro, and for some reason I remember specifically steering away from that brand.

Don't have anything solid tho....

okay...sapphire is off. I will either buy the ATi 9800 Pro on newegg, or a Hercules new on ebay.

Anything else I should look out for? If it is a Hercules 9800 Pro with 128MB onboard from a very reputable seller, brand new...I should be safe right? They all have the same num. of pipelines and same onboard processors and whatnot right?