Doom III

Lunk

So, I was watching D3 being played at BestBuy the other day.

IMHO it's to darn dark for me to shell out $60 for it.

I guess I'll just wait until it goes on sale before I buy it.

Well, you do get a flashlight. The darkness is really just so they can "hide" more enemies (hiding spots have been pretty obvious). But so far it's not impressing me too much. It's just been really repetitive... go into the next room, clear it out, be sure to check behind you, pick up more amor/health/ammo, rinse, repeat. I mean, it's not a bad game... just a bit overhyped IMHO.

Don't buy it. Nowhere near the single player that COD was, and it doesn't look like the multiplayer is gonna take off around here, especially with CS:S coming out.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Don't buy, hell i'll sell you mine... I'm probably only 1/4 the way through the game and haven't played it in like a week.

i went about 3/4 of the way and stopped. not played a week.

geez, critics unite...I bought FarCry, played 2 hours and then put it back in the box...

Doom 3...I play at night with the lights off...and I think its worth every penny. I suppose I don't play it looking for unique gameplay...come on...its a classic FPS done the way they have always been done...repetative yes...so was Doom and Doom II.

Bottom line, I'm almost done with the game and I still jump out of my chair when an Imp screams at me, and I still tense up before I enter a fresh room.

Still it's good you guys voice your opinions tho...I enjoy reading them...no harm no foul. :)

The game still scares the crap outta me. I am almost done with it and it has been well worth the $50 I spent. I have not had this much fun playing a game in a long time. I thought it was way better than CoD, BF 1942, and Unreal (although UT2004 is online, this is still better).

:( I like Far Cry better than Doom 3 sorry to say

I would rather be in a paradise gone wrong, then to be in hell.

But Doom 3 had a better single player experience. Although FarCry may have better multi player, but that's not saying much for either game's multiplayer.

I really enjoyed COD single player but is was way to short, Left wanting more. Doom 3 I waould say I am prob halfway through it and havent played it for a week or longer. Its pretty kewl and all just dont get that feeling of wanting more of it. FryCry I have never played nor BF. I think the next one I will buy would be the sequal to max pain. That was a pretty kewl single player game. I will defintly buy the new HL since I own every game they have sold, I probably have 5 or 6 HL keys

• 4 weeks later...
Guest unSANE
Guest unSANE
Guest unSANE
Guests

Above and beyond anything else, D3 is a 'cinematic' experience featuring visial and audio cues from a number of scifi thrillers (alien/s, it, T2) horrorfests (night of the living dead, texas chainsaw massacre, exorcist)and at least one 'war' flick I can think of (Full Metal Jacket) --along with noticible aspects from some of the best games in the past decade (thief(1&2), and...(of course) D1 & D2).

The whole 'darkness'/'silly flashlight' issue has an obvious answer>>to add to the atmosphere of tension. IMO they take the last 15 minutes of 'alien'--when Ripley is running through the ship trying to shut off the self destruct mechanism--and try to infuse the entire game with that ambiance.

To get the 'full' D3 expereince, though, you need a rig that has relevant components. You need a kick-donkey vcard and surround sound, lots of RAM and a high-end CPU. So...waiting a few years until prices come down might be your best bet. I suspect the case will be the same with HL2, tho...

Yeah, the multiplayer (online, atleast) is a joke, but I think the length and the level of detail in the single player make it well worth the price of admission.

But, face it nothing beats UT04 for online multiplayer mayhem...

Is D3 better than FarCry? as a single player game---only time will tell. It depends on the individual, right? Which game he/she ends out dumping mre of their life into. It is nice to have a wide variety of games to choose from, though. I was getting mighty tierd of the same old ww2 style shooter even before Call of Duty came out (not that CoD doesn't totally kick-butt)

PAINKILLER rocks, also...

bleh :bang:

Since we're shelling out opinions, I liked FarCry better. I think the graphics engine was more elegant and, coming from a guy with a math degree, I always concern myself with the unimportant and nerdly. Doom 3's interiors looked a little better, I must admit, and the active computer panels were really neat, but for all the hype I didn't think the graphics engine had improved much over FarCry. If I had to buy only one, I would buy FarCry, especially since I played Doom 3 on a friend's computer with much better specs and wasn't impressed with the improvement over my computer running FarCry.

However, for what Doom 3 lacked in fancy-pants graphics improvements, the environment makes up for. As the creators write in the manual, "For those who want to experience Doom 3 the way it was meant to, turn off the lights, turn up your speakers, and lock your door." Wow. Perhaps I'm easily spooked by video games, but Doom 3 is by far the best fear-instilling atmosphere I have ever played in. I didn't like hunting Trigens in the forest, but Doom 3 definnitely takes the cake. Yes, a bit repetitive, and yes, way too dark, and as a friend pointed out, "It's the year 2145 and we still can't figure out how to mount a tactical flaslight to any weapon?", but the atmosphere is excellent, in the truest sense of the word. A new level of sweaty palms for me.