choke the chicken

Fatty

Ok, what is choke, what causes it, why's it go up and down, who's responsible for it, and um yea.

Also, anyone find tweaks for source? I could use any info at all, especially video...but also the normal rate stuff, etc.

I had an entire autoexec.cfg of tweaks for CS, but now I'm running stock. Any tips would be helpful. I really need to see if I can squeeze tolerable perfomance out of my video card, and I'm also interested in why I'm seeing so much choke.

Loss = percent of incoming packets of data seen as lost

Choke = percent of outgoing packets of data seen as lost

Both are a type of packet loss

Rate = Amount of data per packet. This number needs to be the same or very close to the server's settings. Otherwise packet loss occurs.

If you have choke type into your console

cl_updaterate

Look at the current value. If it was 60, lower it to 50

If you have latency, you want to increase your cl_updaterate values

Hope this helps!

:)

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Loss = percent of incoming packets of data seen as lost

Choke = percent of outgoing packets of data seen as lost

Both are a type of packet loss

Rate = Amount of data per packet. This number needs to be the same or very close to the server's settings. Otherwise packet loss occurs.

If you have choke type into your console

cl_updaterate

Look at the current value. If it was 60, lower it to 50

If you have latency, you want to increase your cl_updaterate values

Hope this helps!

:)

Excellent explanation. I was going to type the same thing.

You may gain some ping by downing your cl_updaterate but choke will go away.

Default rate is 10000. I have mine at 15000 with excellent results.

GC Founder

This is from Barry at xgaming:

Please relize Choke does not come from the server itself. It is happening because these players think they know it all and are "Tweaking" there client side. Choke comes from when the client over sets there settings particuly with the cl_updatrate's. They did this with HL1 and they will try and do it again with HL2. I never understood why these people would alter there settings when they have no idea what it really does. If they set there updaterates and the server is not properly setup to accept tweaking then the client will be trying to pull to much information and the server will only allow so much which causes Choke. Now I dont suggest changing the servers updaterates because it has not been properly tested to do so. A while back CAl put out some false information about update rates and such and ever since then most of the CAL teams at least over tweak there settings without knowing what they are doing. Then they think evry server they play on that has choke is because the server sucks. Well yes if you have a small 5 vs 5 match server with the CAL configs running you can get away with this. When CAL put out the information about tweaking the configs they did this with the intention for 5vs5 match play with there config running. Typically you do not want to run these configs on a public server because most pc's can not handle that update rate on anything larger then 10 players. Its just to much information to process for that PC. Now HL2 is more demanding then the HL1 is therefore the tweaking should not be so harsh like it was with HL1 unless you have a top of the line PC. Im not sure if you notice but those that do not tweak there settings rarley complain about Choke. Good rule of thumb for any server is if every single person is not seeing the exact same problem then its not the server itself. Its either the ISP, Routing to and from the server or the client has over tweaked his or her settings. You can try changing the rates within the server but I do not suggest it.

I've noticed that each time someone in our server complains of choke, another comments that he has none, which backs up his rule of thumb.

So, Budweiser salutes you, Mr. "Tweak Everything until it Breaks" Man.

Although, I think the defaults are a bit off...cause I tweaked to suggested and choke went away for me. So anyways, this addresses the fact that it's not the sever.

GC Founder
/background singers

"Tweak til it breaks!"

lmao dweez...

The guy keeps talking:

"When they said your card wasn't going to run that new game, you scoffed at them and made it work...."

<background "you scoffed and laughed at them..."

"FPS? You invented max_fps because smoke has no effect on you"

<you don't see the smoke>

Mr. Tweak Everything until it breeeaaaakkkksss.......