Buying a house!?

gOOters

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! WHAT THE BLANK?! BLAAAANK!!!

I find out today, after we have dropped the deposit on our house, that there are TWO registered sex offenders in our neighborhood and that they are considering putting in a low income apartment complex across from the front of the neighborhood?~!

This is a nice neighborhood!? The houses in the adjacent neighborhood cost over $300K (thats alot of money for this part of the contry).

Should we eat the deposit and wait for something different? :(:angry:

Wow, that sucks to hear goot. :bang: Low income doesn't always mean bad though. But there is a good chance they could turn to crap in a hurry. Remember that if they do put in a downhill neighborhood, the value of those $300k homes will drop, and I guarantee the owners will not stand for that. As for the 2 registered sex offenders... :twitch: Don't know what to really tell you about that. They are everywhere. Heck, you never know who your neighbors are. I knew a family that moved into a brand new subdivision with $200k+ 2 story homes, and a year or 2 later there was a drug dealing guy a few houses down who killed his wife and hid her body in the house. Lesson is - "those" people are everywhere.

Good luck with the house though. I thought getting our apartment was a big move. I can't imagine owning a home right yet. :blink:

General is right that sex offenders are everywhere. The records of sex offenders are public record and each county should have a list of them. I can see all the ones around here by simply logging onto my county's website and looking them up. You'd be amazed at how many there are.

You're right Zap. And great advice J! Wifey and I were thinking the same thing. The neighborhood(s) are already organizing to fight the zoning. I think it hasnt even been filed yet, it is only a thought on some minor politician's mind.

Thanks for the perspectives guys.

G00t, another thing to consider is that it doesn't take much to be required to be a registered sex offender these days. I had a friend who had a great relationship in college, we thought the two of them were for sure going to get married. One day, they get into this huge fight, lots of crap happens, she yells rape, the judge throws it out of court saying the whole case was frivolous and obviously made up...but now he has to register as a sex offender wherever he goes. Not that that means anyone who's registered didn't do something wrong, but it's pretty much the only way that, in America, you can be guilty even when proven innocent :rolleyes: And that's a terrible shame, too, considering how serious actual offenses are.

Gond, man, I want the name of your guy :boing: My wife had a friend who didn't do much for us, but we had to use her for some reason (Never BancMortgage, everyone remember that!) but now that we know better, next time I do anything I'm asking my friend. *ugh* Gratz on the deal, and the patio looks awesome

You can't stop the low income housing g00t. It is just a fact of growth. First they develop an area with expensive homes. People move in thinking "wow...this is nice...only big expensive homes in this area". Then after all the good land is gone all the smaller lots start selling. Course by now the property value has gone up so much that you can't afford to put large lots out so you put the small ones or the apartments.

I've been through this 2 times now. One of my neighbors says "you gotta have someone to cut the yard". Basically it takes all types to create a community and as someone said above...low income does not equate to crime and problems...it can but it doesn't have to.

My guy isn't doing mortgages anymore...maybe cause he was broke after us...LOL

Well, I am going to a meeting on it today at 1PM at city hall. Rumor is, the builder will fight it if the homeowners cant get anywhere. I agree that there needs to be lower income housing even in the nicest towns, but not at MY neighborhood!

The neighboring city's (Southlake) AVERAGE home value is over $600K. And thats midwest dollars!!! :-o They dont have ONE apartment complex in their city (which is much richer than my city is). I just looked that stuff up and was kinda amazed by it.

Thanks for the PM Gond, I am excited to do that. Will probably take awhile for us to save up for it though.

• 4 weeks later...

We bought in a different area, but the same builder/house. Were supposed to close today, oh wait, we were suppused to close YESTERDAY too, but the title company is late getting their survey back.

Man, this has been a REALLY stressful experience! I cant wait until its all done...

We bought in a different area, but the same builder/house. Were supposed to close today, oh wait, we were suppused to close YESTERDAY too, but the title company is late getting their survey back.

Man, this has been a REALLY stressful experience! I cant wait until its all done...

I work at a title company and it isn't ever our fault if the survey isn't back on time :P be nice to your title company they are the ones that everyone blames for everything yet it is rarely our fault :P If anything it is most likely your Broker's fault. All broker's are lying evil slimey creatures and will do whatever it takes to get their loan closed so that they get their money. On the flip side the title company has to make sure the Broker doesn't get away with anything illegal because if they do it is our donkey on the line. If you want to close it in IL I will do the closing for you for free :P I have lots of experience.

Heehee, wish I could Chuckles. I dont trust our broker very much. He keeps saying, yeah its almost done...my wife keeps calling in subs at school and it never happens.

However, the builder's rep told us that the Title company was responsible for the survey, this is true right? Now, even if it is on them, I wouldnt put it past my broker that he didnt give them what they needed to start the survey fast enough.

I wish I was more familiar with the process. Would it be bad for me to call the Title company?

Heehee, wish I could Chuckles. I dont trust our broker very much. He keeps saying, yeah its almost done...my wife keeps calling in subs at school and it never happens.

However, the builder's rep told us that the Title company was responsible for the survey, this is true right? Now, even if it is on them, I wouldnt put it past my broker that he didnt give them what they needed to start the survey fast enough.

I wish I was more familiar with the process. Would it be bad for me to call the Title company?

Customers call the title company all the time, just don't be grumpy with them and usually they will help you gladly. We don't like crabby customers who try to put the blame on us. The appraisal comes from a seperate company. It is possible that your title company also does appraisals, most don't from my experience. I doubt it is the title companies fault. My theory would be the appraiser hasn't returned it to the Broker yet(as a title company you get the appraisal from the broker) and that could be because the broker forgot to order it on time, they forget to order stuff all the time. However it is possible that the title company is clearing something up on the appraisal.

Whelp, if I call them, it will just be to get a straight story. I havent been grumpy with anyone yet, but every time I hang up with my broker, I am scratching my head lol. Im talkiing with the builder's "closing office", found a friend there who is able to explain what is happening. I'll let you know when we have closed. Thanks for the help Chuck.

Whelp, if I call them, it will just be to get a straight story. I havent been grumpy with anyone yet, but every time I hang up with my broker, I am scratching my head lol. Im talkiing with the builder's "closing office", found a friend there who is able to explain what is happening. I'll let you know when we have closed. Thanks for the help Chuck.

np, I really only fully know the title company side of things as that is where I work. What I do know is that the lender and broker try to blame us for everything and then tell the borrower the same thing. We have to pretty much take everyone's crap :P That is why if you are reasonable with a title company you can usually get something out of them.

Took a LONG while to get the right name/phone number for the Title company. I called and spoke to them. The woman was very friendly and helpful. Seriously, you could tell me that I wont close for 2 weeks and if its the truth and I know the whole story I will not be a jerk at all about that.

But, she told me some stuff and it seems even more like my broker is lying. Now I am even more informed (been chatting with the closing office and the title company) and Im gonna call my broker and ask him whats up. When he tells me a lie, Im gonna start calling him out on it.

I dont get the lying. But one thing I heard was that the lender was waiting on the broker for a document, even though the broker told me that the title company should have everything already.

Anyhow, we will probably close tonight with the broker and a Notary. I asked the Title company if there was a good reason not to do this and they said it really didnt make a big difference unless I had some detailed questions about the title, the broker should have all the answers.

Sigh. Anyhow. I cant stand dishonesty, for any reason.

Oh and every time I call him, I know more about what is going on than he does!

Ive come to the conclusion that either:

- He is trying to do too much (overworked).

- Lazy and making up stuff instead of taking care of his business.

- Greedy (doing too much so he can get more $$ and the customers are suffering quality of service)

Anyhow, how long should it take to get a broker to find a lender, get a rate and close? Maybe 10 business days? More?

Oh and every time I call him, I know more about what is going on than he does!

Ive come to the conclusion that either:

- He is trying to do too much (overworked).

- Lazy and making up stuff instead of taking care of his business.

- Greedy (doing too much so he can get more $$ and the customers are suffering quality of service)

Anyhow, how long should it take to get a broker to find a lender, get a rate and close? Maybe 10 business days? More?

Depends on the broker and title company, my title company specializes in quick turn around and clean title. Some title companies will insure over judgements on title and take exception or anything of the sort. We require clean title to close the loan. We also mostly deal with refinances but we do purchases now and then. On a refi we can go from you walking in the broker's office on say a Monday and we could be closing your loan as early as wednesday but realistically easily closing you on Thursday or Friday. With a purchase add in a couple more days so 5-7 days shouldn't be a problem to get you closed on a purchase assuming you have a clean title and appropriate credit from the start. Broker's lie, its what they do, it doesn't really matter which broker you have they will lie to you about something and most of them try to pretend they know more than they do. Really Brokers are over glorified customer service reps. The title company does most of the work as well as the lender.

this title company rox. Its a new home purchase, the builder held the title I guess. And they are turning it around in a few hours. The broker acts like he gave birth to Jesus by getting the whole thing done in 10 business days. We had our rate locked in 5 business days ago.

anyhow, thanks for the advice Chuck.

wow best of luck Goot! it does look quite nice, and those patios rock, my neighbor does that for a living ( rich guy...)

dont you like how wilco stole your thread? lol, but his looks nice too. What part of IL are you in Wilco? i forget, those look like many homes around here and north of the city.

I dont know whether or not your building or buying spec from Pulte, I am a finish carpenter and work in alot of houses per year(60 - 80) and the only thing I would recommend if have the choice at this point, is to upgrade to solid core interior doors instead of hollow, and make sure your trim is wood, not MDF, I see alot of problems with both of those issues, doors swelling and moving, and trim not being durable, one hit on the corner of MDF trim with a vacuum or whatever and it crumbles. Pulte is big out here in OH too, they build cheap to expensive, with quality ranging accordingly. GOOD LUCK!!!

As long as its not Moltalbono (sp?) my dad would be ok with it. Polte is putting some townhomes up down the road from me actually. My dad has been in sales for construction forever and just recently owns his own business. Solid doors are much much better. The advice on trim is also a good one :)

Make sure you check your list, and check it again, and again. One of the biggest purchases of your life o0o

Thanks clueless, we have solid wood trip, but I dunno about the interior doors? They feel heavy though? All the exterior doors are solid. It's funny, about 8 minutes away there are Pulte townhomes starting at about 100K, and 5 minutes the other direction there are Pultes starting at 390K (alot for FW area).

Jiff, Wilco knows he can share my thread anytime. :)

wow best of luck Goot! it does look quite nice, and those patios rock, my neighbor does that for a living ( rich guy...)

dont you like how wilco stole your thread? lol, but his looks nice too. What part of IL are you in Wilco? i forget, those look like many homes around here and north of the city.

Jiff its going to be out west in Plano, Nice and quiet out there :)

Jiff, Wilco knows he can share my thread anytime.
:wavey::hug: Edited by wilco