Wireless ISP?

gOOters

Guys, my new house is going to be done this week. We should be moving in by the 13th. But the house is on the outskirts of town and there is no cable service there yet!

Any tips on how to get a connection good enough for gaming?? One of the neighbors said he has a microwave connection. Anyone know about that? Cost? Performance?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Microwave = not much better than Satellite for latencies. I would say borrow it for updating steam, etc. Use dial-up for gaming. get a good high performance HARDWARE modem. OR check and see if broadband over powerlines is available.

OH NO! Thats what I was afraid of!!! :( I hate life :(

Ironic thing is, we pulled out of a house about 8 miles away that would soon be getting Verizon's fiberoptic connection :(

Honestly, we will probably be fiberoptic within a year or two though.

Until then, I hate life :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(:(

fiberoptic connection

I really hope you didnt plan on paying for an OC3 connection running to your house. If you was only getting T1 bandwidth on that fiber line, then you might as well keep the DSL......well, I guess the pings could be better now that I think about it :P

Nah, fiber doesn't have any of the inherent problems of loss like copper does. I'd take fiber over DSL anyday if the pricing was in the same neighborhood, though come to think of it, I do have a short run to the telco and a very recent line, so my pairs are really good.

But yeah, if your'e going to be on microwave the further away from the ISP you are the higher the latency. Sorry, bud, you're probably out of luck, depends on where the ISP is. Though, I woudln't write it off if the ISP is nearby...

you could always call up your CO and see if they will run a dedicated line to your house, costs will be high, but if you had a cool basement and a few machines, you could setup your own ISP and lease your bandwidth out to other people :)

I was forced to use ISDN for a while when I first moved. Basically it's phone lines. They contain a dialup 64kb line. You can get 2 and have 128kb connection. They are good and bad. For gaming I had no issues...I had a very good ISP that I connected to and actually pinged better with ISDN than I did with cable...for download it stunk like a 56k modem.

The cost was the same as 2 phone lines which I had anyway because I wanted a seperate data line. Then I also had to pay an ISP. Nice thing about the dual is that it will drop one channel and let your phone ring when there is a call. Then when you get off the phone it picks back up...so you go from 128 to 64 back to 128.

Call the local phone company & see about availability and pricing (as well as some ISP's). Back in the day you had to pay based on connect time. I had a flat monthly rate...same as a phone line.

Oh, another drawback is that, unlike a standard phone line, ISDN will not function at all if your power goes out. You also can't use a regular phone connected to the ISDN jack...you have to hook the phone into the ISDN modem.