To make things easier

Xterminator

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really starting to dig this game, so much better than SWG. The high level content of this game is mindboggling...about what level do you think it will become imposible to solo at, I'm thinking around 23+ its going to get really really really hard.

Oh, and when retail comes around what say we start to pool our money for mounts, put together the money from like 3 or 4 characters and we can save up for mounts pretty quickly.

One thing i'm worried about. When it does go retail and we start over. I have no clue what i'm doin on Alliance side. With horde i know where all the quest items are and where to go so i can lvl up very quickly.

I hear ya X... but think about all the newbies in the low level zones. I would think you would want to get out of those zones asap. Go horde and get up to level 10ish, then you should have another mobs in various areas. If you go Alliance and dont know the quests and where to go, your going to be spending twice as much time with getting kills and finding the areas. Either way I exspect launch to be very bumpy!

i missed the part why we can't just have a guild on Alliance and a guild on Horde on the SAME server ? They can have diff names so it will atleast be the same server ...

since were not sticking together, im going to play undead next week. It's what i've played in all the phases of my beta time, and it's what i'll play out of the gates i guess.

making one will be quicker for communication purposes. That's all we really need is the chat ability.

We can figure out a server on release day, are they using numbers again or giving them names ? a central PVP server is where i'll end up even though im east. Going to be nice being able to have guild chat and not have character and guild wipes no more !

i wouldn't say their is an advantage to either style of play. It's whatever you enjoy more. I play mmo's so i can go head to head with other characters, whether it's a 50 on 50 battle or a pk group roaming enemy lands. You spend so much time getting your character built up, i have to be able to use what i've spent so long working for..

i missed the part why we can't just have a guild on Alliance and a guild on Horde on the SAME server ? They can have diff names so it will atleast be the same server ...

The game wont let you have a horde char and an alliance char on the same server.

Not sure of the reasoning behind it, but thats the way it is.

lol, I'm sorry Killer, I should have phrased it differently. What do you do on a pvp server, how is it different. Every time I think PvP I think if diabloII where peeps just go outside of the rouge camp, go hostile, and kill each other over and over again...never do quests, spend all their time trading or doing xp runs to build up the char just to go right back outside. I dont' know the dynamics of an "actual" pvp character.

How do you build them? Do you spend all your time trading for better PvP items? Do you still group for long periods of times to do the elite dungeons? Or is it simply a matter of kill stuff to level up then at some point just raid enemy towns and passer-byes until your sick of the game?

I'm going off a lack of info here, it seems like half the group is PvP and the other is normal...I'd like to group with the guys who are all about exploring the world, hitting all the uber hard quests, getting really awesome weapons and items and even possibly setting up events, guilds. I don't know if I'd like to be wandering around gathering herbs and getting ransaked by a group of bratty PKers. I wouldn't mind organized duels...but PKer's...to many horrid memories from Diablo II.

Still, fill me in on what you love about it so I can decide with all the info.

yup. even if your on a pvp server you have a choice

i do quests to level, but i do an equal amount of just killing mobs so i can get loot. That's where i've picked up my nice stuff. I'm not doing any tradeskills in retail. Im pretty much focusing on damage output in the fastest amount of time... Getting the right clothes along the way of course. Don't really need to do any trading, you come across everything you will need with time. It's built into the game it seems.

Once my characters high level then i'll do pvp and level. Once she's maxed out then it's just pvp. About exploring the world, oh yea. Going to raid another city is exploring and pvp all in one ! Seriously, i have the most fun in a small group just running around ...

Or start a new toon.

It's no different then if you didn't pvp, except whenever you get the urge to test out your stuff, you do, against actual players instead of mobs. Like last night i was in Brill and there was probably 40 Horde there defending 30 or so Alliance off. The battle wasn't a big zerg ball of people, it was small cluster's spread across the field of people fighting. We would run back to Brill if we were getitng to spread out and regroup. Before we could heal up and get oriented we saw a huge wave of Alliance come over the top of the hill where the Tower is. It was a final charge from hell man, but right behind them were 40 more Horde getting off the Zeplin that they haven't noticed yet. Alliance rolled deep with alot higher level character's but the power of the undead sandwiched them at the base of a field and pulverized them. That's the kinda stuff i like in mmo's. We then loaded up the Zeplin and took it to their house. :peace:

If beta hadn't ended, i'd just be getting xp like a normal player today.

I have heard some horror stories about the PvP servers during Beta. High levels would sit in the newbie zones and low-level zone just whacking everyone because they can.

In the non-PvP ones you can still travel to the other lands and fight the people, but you have to flip on your PvP flag first. After 2 deaths in PvP the flag switches off in case you are tired of it and you have to either attack a PvP player or switch the flag manually to go back to PvP.

It has the benefit of PvP without the annoyance of the people who just want to kill low-levels for fun.

Well, like SS said, even on a PvP server you are protected in controlled territory. If you are alliance and you are in alliance territory, then enemies can't kill you unless you attack them first. If you are in contested territory, then anything is fair game and if you are in enemy territory, then nobody is fair game until they attack you.

I still enjoy the questing and the storyline of the game, but fighting other players when I want to brings a new element of challenge and only adds to the overall game in my opinion. The added risk, and being able to overcome that risk, is an adrenaline rush at times. It's kind of fun when you get ambushed and you have to fight back and win.

Not only that, but PvP raids do inspire a different level of teamwork that you won't necessarily see in even the most difficult quests. Against opponents that are experienced and prepared for combat, every member of a PvP group must fulfill their function to be successful. From what I've read, each class was designed to take advantage of other specific classes and their weaknesses. They were designed with PvP in mind (whether or not that rock-paper-scissors type balancing works out, only time will tell).

That said, I have no idea what the end-game PvP will be like in WoW. It is VERY "carebearish" compared to what I am used to. No penalties for dying, no trophies for winning, and it is faction vs. faction rather than free-for-all.

In a traditional PvP world, anybody can kill anybody else and while it sounds like it would be crazy, alliances end up forming and territories are claimed. People fight to defend land, allies, friends, dungeons, etc. The politics of a true PvP server become a large part of the gaming experience and last long after all of the quests have been done and you've reached that cap level.

In WoW, I'm not sure it has the potential to reach/add that next dimension of a PvP MMORPG.

As for now, it's a risk free environment 'til you hit 20. Even then, PvP only carries the penalty of death, which is the same risk you face just playing the game.

Except, of course, that the monsters ALWAYS camp my friggin' corpse, and the Pk'ers don't. :)

-Kor

Edited by Korodas

26 Orc Warrior, test 6 :( twas fun... went out fighting a Massive Infernal, Felguard, etc :o

Deciding on what horde warrior to make for retail... trying to decide with racial talents in mind. Trolls seem to get some solid bonuses for a warrior, but I like the look of the Orc better ;)