Earthquake

General J

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

Horrible, the death toll is over 10,000.

To anyone that doesn't know about earthquakes, this was a 8.9 on the ricter scale. To put that into perspective the earthquake in San Francisco was a 6.9

For every 1.0 you go up, it increases 10 fold.. so this had 100x the force that that quake did. 100 times the force of an earthquake that destroyed a stadium. Just think about that o0o

I feel terrible for the people that had to go through that.. It's tough for anyone. 30 foot high waves, literally flying at you is something that I could not even imagine. The cause was from one plate sinking into the earths surface, the other shooting up. Sucking back the water, causing the wave... The people had no warning, and all the resorts were destroyed. Everything was destroyed. They said this probably isn't the end. There might be aftershocks that will last as long as a year. I hope nothing like this will happen again. My heart goes out to them all, both living and those past.

Wow, confirmed death toll over 33,000, and expected to rise even up to 60,000+. 500 mph waves at sea, 200+ mph when they reached shore. Video on the news showed the water running up to land and out to sea right beside eachother and both ways looked like 2 rivers running side by side.

The sad thing is the tsunami's may not even be the worst part of this disaster. Countries are creating mass graves and burning bodies, but with the heat and humidity the bodies will decay a lot faster. They are worried about disease spreading very rapidly.

Makes me rather angry that people have the nerve to say we are being stingy with our relief efforts. I am sure the governemt is trying its best to provide the maximum amount of relief aid that it can. But people need to remember we are getting stretched pretty thin, especially with the situation in Iraq.

None the less, I heard that Marines would be deployed to the area to help out. Makes me proud to be part of this country when we can deal with our own situations and help out in unexpected disasters like this.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

114,000 now according to www.foxnews.com

I also heard the other day that this is being blamed by some on Global Warming. How idiotic is that.

Anyway, this is terrible and I hope Contra is ok. Couple other friends of mine have family over there who they have not heard from yet.

It is a lot of children who were killed also. Most of them could not fend for themselves or not able to swim.

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

ZD; think about it for a second.. global warming is causing the water level to rise, and thus the waves would be higher in the Tsunami.

However, when you look at the amount the water has raised and how big the waves were, and it's a small fraction.. then yeah, it's idiotic :boing:

Canada's sent $40,000,000 .. I'm proud to know that my Country has sent more than a $ / person in my country.

Edited by PDO

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
ZD; think about it for a second.. global warming is causing the water level to rise, and thus the waves would be higher in the Tsunami.

However, when you look at the amount the water has raised and how big the waves were, and it's a small fraction.. then yeah, it's idiotic  :boing:

Canada's sent $40,000,000 .. I'm proud to know that my Country has sent more than a $ / person in my country.

This is not the place for it but I do not believe in Global Warming. If you want to get into the science of it, we can start a discussion in the Political forum. But to blame the massive tsunami on global warming and not on something that can not be helped, an earthquake in the middle of the ocean, is absolutely ridiculous IMO.