Internet Explorer will load no page

ConGregation

This is a problem my father in law is having at work. He said he has installed adawareSE and I think even spybot search and destroy. Ran the virus scanner and tried everything to clean it up. But it still will not go anywhere but the homepage.

And before you say FIREFOX, he uses that but some of the companies websites that he uses won't work with it. Now maybe that might be a java thing... not sure. I have never been able to get java to work with firefox.

I don't really have any substantial ideas. Was just going to try some things. Thought maybe someone on here would be able to offer some help.

(edited)

I would try reinstalling internet explorer, if your running windows xp, goto Start>Control Pannel>Add or Remove Programs> click "Add/Remove Windows Components" on the left of that window, then a box should come up and Internet Explorer will be listed in that list of apps, uncheck it and click next, then when its done I would restart the computer just to be safe, then repeat all that up to the part where you click "Add/Remove Windows Components" and check that box Internet Explorer and hit next again, restart the computer and see if you still have the problem, goodluck! :wavey:

Edited by Gabe

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Sounds like your HOST file. If you load up Spybot S&D, then go to "MODE" on the top and chose "Advanced". Then say yes when it prompts you. At this point, you have more options on the bottom left.

Click on "Tools" and then in the white box on the right you will see HOSTS option. Click on that and remove everything in there. I am betting something is set up to route everything to MSN (That is what it sounds like anyway). After everything is removed, click on the "Add Spybot S&D hosts File" option to further block spyware.

Ok, thanks for the replies guys!! (ahem, cannot let a rhyme go unnoticed!)

I get over there and find out that I really didn't know all the facts. It USED to be that he couldn't load any other page but the home page but after he ran some adaware, spybot, virus scan it almost took care of the problem. Now he experiences problems with certain sites.

Usatoday.com is the one he showed me. You get an error message when it is almost done loading and then shuts the program down. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling IE, getting rid of miscellaneous programs and checked windows update. Nothing took care of the problem. I'm wondering if usatoday.com has a script or something it uses that causes the problem. I am not knowledgable about such stuff.

Btw, it is an independant insurance agency whose IT department is 'Mike, the local networking guy' who is pretty worthless from the stories I have heard.

So if any of you guys have a clue what it is let me know. It doesn't appear to be that big of deal. But he gave me a $50 check which I told him I wouldn't cash but I probably would if one of you blokes could help me figure it out :)

One thing that I have come across with spybot is that, if you are not carefull and read everything that it came up with, you may, and will, delete important windows files. I know this by experience and deleted c:/windows.dll files and found out that it was spybot that got rid of them because it thought they were a threat. You can run a OS fix with your windows xp cd in safe mode. Boot into safe mode with your cd and look for the option to fix or restore you windows files. That may work, I have used that one before. ;)