CS:S and MSN Messenger XXXXXX

I was wondering, if my computer is running CS and my roommate has multiple msn messenger chats going, is that going to affect my gameplay at all. Reason I say so is that I notice my loss keeps fluctuating, but only when someone else is using the internet...

it torques me a bit when my roommate who doesn't pay the internet bill chit chats online meanwhile I'm in a firefight with Cujo and 3/4 of my bullets dont register, not that I could beat him anyway =)

(edited)

hahahahahahaha wow. (laughing at your comment not the question)

a text msg is less than a kb. watch your network bandwidth next time you use messenger. there's 5 ppl altogether in my house and even before we got our new router i still never really had issues unless someone was downloading or browsing large websites constantly(pron)...

there's not many ppl online to talk to at this point but i just opened a couple msg windows and it used less than a kb. i believe that includes dling their display pics even.

Edited by [rAv]Cujo

I never have any voice probs Except for msn messenger. My bud and I used to use it to chat while playing, and it made a big hit. Ive known 56kers that cant even use the voice cuz its so garbled. I think its becuz msn voice qual is really good..using a real high qual/bandwidth codec.

(edited)

yea. i use skype and it uses 5k/sec up and down. with my connection that's fine if 1 or 2 ppl are using but not more.

should clarify. i don't use skype while csing but use it while others cs and no complaints. it's much cheaper(free) than long distance phone calls to talk to my parents back home.

Edited by [rAv]Cujo

I'm not certain on my dl speed but I have 256 up...I think i have like 1600 down. No he wasn't using voice, but he may have been streaming news clips from msnbc.com. We are both on wireless b (linksys).

Ironic, when I quit CS he shut down and went to bed...arg!

(edited)

the thing is, unless he is using close to your max Down speed, you still will not notice any packet loss. If he is using all of your down speed, then your screwed. Also, the main reason for high pings and packet loss is the dreaded uploaded on P2P programs that your roomates do not turn off. Just a small amount of upload bandwidth destroys your ping.

now that I think about it 5kb/s is alot for a message chating, but still shouldnt effect your gamming. I have 4 other roomates that constatly talk on AIM and one ever plays CS and I never have problems unless one leaves his upload on Kaaza. and my connection down/up is 1.5Mbps/256kbs

Edited by NOFX

Also, the main reason for high pings and packet loss is the dreaded uploaded on P2P programs that your roomates do not turn off.  Just a small amount of upload bandwidth destroys your ping.

i built a server that everyone remote desktops to where i have dl programs like that installed. when anyone wants something they connect. it's specifically for bittorrent. i have azureus for bt and then when one of us wants to play we just connect to the server and limit the upload speed.

btw, we have 4mbit down and 640kbit up. anything over about 10k/sec upload makes ping start to suck

You lucky...

lol

Brillow..did you ever find that thread where i posted up the config changes i made? I uses to get 10-110 choke. Now I usually have 0, sometimes when its REALLY bad I get to 9.

It was a whole new game for me

btw, if your config is not set up correctly for your system and bandwidth, it will alter your ping, destabilize it, choke you, lag you, give you what looks like fps lag etc. You can make changes that give you a 5 ping and shaky play to 200 ping and warp around.

Edited by Laz.e.rus

unfortunately, he is building a web site developement company and needs the internet to work...otherwise I might consider it.

Wait...He's doing work on your connection...but not paying anything? Not chipping in at all? Am I the only one who sees something really really wrong with this?

Network connections are funny things. Any number of things could conceivably be wrong, and even simple diagnostics like ping involve more than people normally credit. What kind of router do you have? Does it keep track of net statistics? Can you get ahold of your roomie's computer to run a network analyzer and some instant messengers? I've never had problems on my connection, so I'd actually consider talking to your ISP. I've run a few people in TeamSpeak and played an FPS at the same time over my internet connection and never had problems, and that's ideally the way it should be. If there are other factors...

Anyway, if it's a serious issue that's worth the time investment I'd start with a network protocol analyzer and look for stray packets, and see if your router can track certain statistics. If it'll do a ping or traceroute, that'd be a great start.