• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Sure, I'll see what I can do tonight.

Thanks. It would be useful information for those who are wondering what kind of performance hit they will get.

GC Founder

Aight, Sennheismanns buck fitty are on my head.

Honestly? I just started by jamming to some Godsmack....and trading back and forth between these and my Plantronic HS1's....really not much difference. Earphone size about the same, newness = snug fit.

I like the mic style more...i love the inline volume and mic mute ( HS1 has that).

I'm not sending another back, but to be honest (and I'm not taking into consideration wear and tear), first tests tell me the $25-$30 Plantronic HS1s sound as good as the $55 Seinfield 150s.

USB would bring in different quality most likely, although these sound great. I wonder what Plantronics offer in the USB department.

As for me, I'm done until I wear these out. If Seinonide > Plantronics, it'll be a while!!!

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Now Do I need to get the full version of 3dmark03 to run this test...I dont have it, nor p2p, nor do I want to do the p2p thing....???

Yeah, I think you do to do the sound test. Or just run it 3 different times through. Then just write down the results for each time. I honestly can not think of another test off hand in my tired state that can do a quick benchmark with audio on. Doom 3 is all video. I just remember 3dmark03 having the plane test at the end for sound.

Since this topic came up, i have been using my Senn's with just the analog connection as you are, and they just don't sound as good no matter what I do, they really shine when used with the USB, maybe with your cpu upgrade, you might wanna try that again, you will notice the difference.

And to be honest, maybe those fancy surround units used alot of cpu power, i dunno, but I get absolutely NO difference in performance with or without the usb, I have played sound demos, and music while monitoring cpu and memory usage, again, no noticable difference. CS fps, all the same.

Try em out, worse that could happen is you plug them back in analog.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

Brillow, I may be wrong about the HL2 stess test. I think there may be sound, I just can not remember and I am not home to check. You may wonna check it out and if so, that would be a great and quick way to test it out.

Edited by zerodamage .gc

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
I did the CS vid stress test...about 5 of the rotating texture thingies came up as rotating ERROR blocks, not sure if thats my vid card or not...but it went all the way through with 123 fps at 1024x768.

If you can, do a comparison as I stated above. It will give us an idea what to expect if we use the USB instead of the soundcard and state your basic specs also please. I would do all of this if I had them. Been a while since I had the chance to have such fun.

okay, I can easily remove and unistall the headset, but as for audio..I have like 7 or 8 audio devices in my device manager (legacy stuff, sb audigy stuff) and I'm not sure what to remove for a test. I think I'll just remove the headset, run the test, install the headset and disable my sb audigy, run the test, have both on, run test.

look in this space for the results. By the way Zero...check the CsLs web site forums... ;)

CS:S Vid Stress Test 1024x768

No Sound Cards: 131.6 fps

Sound Card/No Headset: 131.5 fps

No Sound Card/ Headset: 126.96 fps

Sound Card/Headset: 125.61 fps

So without even testing sound I lose about 6fps with the USB Headset. I'm not disapointed so far.

Edit: I'm getting full version 3dmark03

Edited by Brillow_Head

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)
CS:S Vid Stress Test 1024x768

No Sound Cards: 131.6 fps

Sound Card/No Headset: 131.5 fps

No Sound Card/ Headset: 126.96 fps

These are the 3 that matter. I think when you have both the headset and soundcard on that it defaults to the headset anyway as the results were to similar.

It looks here like either your soundcard is so damn good that it uses no cpu time and doesn't effect performance at all or there was a testing error and either the sound card was on for both tests or off for both. I am thinking the first. You have what, Audigy 2 or something like that?

Only losing about 4.5 fps with the headset is really good. I think I read it has some hardware built in. I will look into that. I think this is the set I will be picking up also.

Edit: I'm getting full version 3dmark03

In regards to 3dmark03, if you are actually going to pay for it, I say go for 3dmark05 instead. I am not sure of the prices though.

Edited by zerodamage .gc

Perhaps, when I get more time I may phsically pull my sound card out of my comp and retest.

Note: I'm losing only 4.5 when no sound is sent through usb, I was in fact getting signal (the led on the external decoder box blinks when there is data input) but I'd like to know my cpu hit when it's actually sending out 5.1 sound info plus graphics and network calculations...I might be losing more than this...more testing required.

As for 3Dmark03...I already bought it...didnt' think about the 05. However, I can download 03, but it wont install. I get a dos command box which quickly closes and does nothing. I may gripe.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
If ne1 reads this that told me about BOSE.... let me know who so I can PM them!

They are a good brand, but dont know wat they offer.

wats 3dmark03 and 05?

Bose is way too expensive. 3 - 4 times what others charge and their do not have a headphone unless you want the pilot headset they sell for 1000 bucks.

3dmark is a video testing application.

http://www.futuremark.com

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

My set be in tomorrow. Ordered same as Brillow. Gonna take a chance. Possibly write a review for a tech site as I have been asked.

Yes, please send a linkie or post it here... I'm looking into the same ones.

Also I found it on Ebay for like 2 dollars cheaper than newegg, but i'd pay the extra pennies and make sure it comes from a company.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Yes, please send a linkie or post it here... I'm looking into the same ones.

Also I found it on Ebay for like 2 dollars cheaper than newegg, but i'd pay the extra pennies and make sure it comes from a company.

They are out of stock at newegg. I used www.pcmall.com which actually called me a couple of hours later to let me know that it did process through and has been shipped. That was a first.