HEADSET TIME!

Fatty

It's gotta be a headphone/mic combo.....

Plantronics HS1 have been wonderful, until I yanked a short in the left side while I was lan'n with NoGood.....

So? What should I get? I know we've done this before, so link me up if you're sure the answer is still the same, hardware peeps!

USB required.

Sound is about 80% of my game, 20% is luck, and the rest is skill....so obviously this is important to me!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GC Founder

Free to 100? I'll consider anything....well...within reason.

Plantronics HS1 are dirt cheap...and again, I am very very happy with them, so they really better have some great reason to make me not just grab another pair.

I wouldn't be looking save for the fact that I have these rigged up with electrical tape in the old "if the wire just stays up in this direction it's fine" configuration.

If you just want a headset and aren't worried about a mic attached I really like these http://www.surpluscomputers.net/store/main...l&item=CES10350

They have incredible sound and work all around my house. The only drawback for me was the lack of microphone, but now that I'm used to it I wouldn't change back. Plus they were onlt $18 including shipping.

The are not sens or anything but they are as good as the Playtrons

I have used the Plantronic DSP 500's for about 2.5 years. They sound awesome and the mic on them is great. They died a little over a year and a RMA returned another pair within a week or so. They have their own digital signal processer and plug in via USB. You can get an OEM pair from Newegg that has the CS logo on them for about $15 cheaper than retail. CPL and Plantronics provided these heasets to players around a year ago at the Dallas Summer event. The retail set is a little more but all in all these are GREAT!!

Linkage:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-106-013&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-106-012&depa=0

Happy shopping!

BTW, I paid $100 for my pair so these are a great deal.

sennheiser r65s (wireless)

sennheiser makes darn near the best headies out there

i prefer the wireless, give em a look at least,

had this pair for 3 or 4 years now, 2 year warranty, no questions asked

(i know cuz i got mine replaced just before the warranty was up, just because)

:D

GC Founder

i like the idea of wireless ALOT.

Anything USB is going to leave my soundcard only powering my surround sound system....which means no more switching plugs.

Wireless would allow me to easily hang these babies up on a hook above mission control. (Mya has this thing about trying to pull the little foam jobby off my mic and throwing it away)

GC Founder
sennheiser r65s (wireless)

sennheiser makes darn near the best headies out there

i prefer the wireless, give em a look at least,

had this pair for 3 or 4 years now, 2 year warranty, no questions asked

(i know cuz i got mine replaced just before the warranty was up, just because)

:D

didn't see these on newegg?

GC Founder
doesnt USB just bypass your sound card?? Which means you if you have a decent sound card, you will get crappy sound from your usb port.

Can you back this assumption up with something? Doesn't make much sense that this would necessarily be so, nor would it have anything to do with a sound card, present or not, quality or not. Point being: I doubt Mr. Sennheiser would even put out USB phones of all sorts if they weren't top notch?

Anyways, I'd like to see what makes you think this.

While I know that EAX does wonders for simulating my 3d sounds...I know for a fact that my headset right now only receives sound from the FRONT jack of my sound card (sb live), so anything that might be in the back is not there when I'm wearing my headset. If I had to guess, I'd say a USB port could simulate this even more.

Speaking or surround, don't they have headphones out there with "rear" speakers?

GC Founder

I wouldn't want all the channels to my headphones...that would defeat EAX and I'd hear things behind as loud as things in front...that would be bad bad bad. I leave it on 4 speakers and let EAX do as much as it can by sending a small portion of the back sound to the front.