HEADSET TIME!

Fatty

GC Founder

Ooo!

Well, I just recieved these headfones, and they sound wonderful. Games, such as Half Life 2, Doom 3, Call of Duty, and Day of Defeat all sound great. When I play, I can pretty much pinpoint where ever... See complete review>

Well, I just recieved these headfones, and they sound wonderful. Games, such as Half Life 2, Doom 3, Call of Duty, and Day of Defeat all sound great. When I play, I can pretty much pinpoint where everyone is with the sound. Its amazing. If you are thinking about getting these. Get them. I have tried these on two computers and my better one has conflicts with the drivers, and it pops and cracks every few minutes, but on the other computer its perfectly fine.

THETAXI-BX395,1/16/2005 7:02:24 PM

CoD, MoH, Doom 3, ALL GAMES ARE BETTER NOW! You can hear where your enemies are coming from, how far the battle is, where you are being shot from... without waking your entire neighborhood! These are ... See complete review>

sounding good...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GC Founder

ONly 8/10 here.....

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=142&num=1

A good review by one dewd....talking right up my alley tho:

http://www.hardextreme.org/?m=show&id=555

Man, is this the only surround sound headset? If hearing = 80% of my game now....this might take me to 90%....add 20% luck and I'm playing at 110%, which is where I should be anyways, right? WOooo!

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I am going to try and explain a bit of how USB headphones work in regards to performance. They WILL impact performance a tiny ammount because they are NOT using the hardware of your soundcard. The CPU and any DSP or digital signal processor on the headphones is doing all of the work. So some of these are better than others and most will not be as good as having a great sound card and normal high quality headphones while those with crappy onboard sound or crappy sound cards will get better sound from the headphones that Brillow linked due to the onboard DSP and the use of the CPU. Plus, they are fully digital in most cases.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

As for the bottom review that Fatty linked to, this is it.

http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=ltbusb-m3

Really lacked any real testing and we need to go on what the review stated at the end. I am interested now though for I am using some cheap piece of crap at the moment as my Microsoft gaming headset fell to pieces after 2 years.

can someone explain 5.1 surround out of 2 speakers i dont get it..  is it simulated?

doesnt make sense, if something happens behind you, it still has to go in the left or right speaker.

Something is just wrong with your settings then. I had that problem for a while with mine, but I finally got it working. Don't remember which thing it was a changed that fixed it though.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
I have heard that USB headphones and speakers drain a lot on the CPU. Just something I have read.

They do if they do not have a dedicated built in DSP like one of the pairs mentioned in this thread already. Not sure if the ones Brillow posted do or not though.

My Sennheisers dont use alot of CPU power at all, just a couple percent. And the onboard sound when used as USB is absolutely awesome, I hear things with these that I never heard before with my others. The USB portion actually unplugs with these and you can use them as a std set of headphones if you wish, but the sound is too good, so I left the USB alone.

(edited)

LTB LTB-USB-M USB 5.1 surround sound Headset

"Unfortunately, the lack of Linux support with the USB AC97 audio decoder is a bit of a setback to us Linux users. However, the need for no external sound card should be appealing to many Windows and Macintosh users,"

Edited by shep48

(edited)

LTB sound drivers

"The problem with this method is that when you install the specialized drivers, they overtake your sound card drivers, making your speaker systems and other audio accessories completely unworkable. This means that either you will have to pick these headphones over your dedicated speaker system or you will have to uninstall and reinstall drivers back-and-forth to terminate this particular and rather annoying problem."

Edited by shep48

LTB sound drivers

"The problem with this method is that when you install the specialized drivers, they overtake your sound card drivers, making your speaker systems and other audio accessories completely unworkable. This means that either you will have to pick these headphones over your dedicated speaker system or you will have to uninstall and reinstall drivers back-and-forth to terminate this particular and rather annoying problem."

I have no such issue either, I would just hate for you to get freaked out over the USB sound deal, I plugged mine in and they worked good, with no problems what so ever.