HEADSET TIME!

Fatty

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a benefit to usb headsets other than convenience? I've never even considered them because I have the available jacks through my speakeres and sound card. I assumed anything USB would automatically use more cpu than the sound card so I stayed away... Am I incorrect on this one?

BTW, the Sennheiser's are awesome if you ever need to return the 5.1 mondo headset of doom.

GC Founder
Is there a benefit to usb headsets other than convenience? I've never even considered them because I have the available jacks through my speakeres and sound card. I assumed anything USB would automatically use more cpu than the sound card so I stayed away... Am I incorrect on this one?

BTW, the Sennheiser's are awesome if you ever need to return the 5.1 mondo headset of doom.

Well, I guess I would have to ask about the soundcard. My SB Live has front and rear. However, i'd never get 5.1 out of it. I dunno if the LTB even might come with standard audio jacks in some version.....

Hopefully both this and my soundcard will work simultaniously.....so that I don't have any more switching of cords. If not, then I'll have to run a USB extension to unplug the headset when I want to listen to the speakers.

fatty did you see this? LTB sound drivers

"The problem with this method is that when you install the specialized drivers, they overtake your sound card drivers, making your speaker systems and other audio accessories completely unworkable. This means that either you will have to pick these headphones over your dedicated speaker system or you will have to uninstall and reinstall drivers back-and-forth to terminate this particular and rather annoying problem."

GC Founder
fatty did you see this?    LTB sound drivers

"The problem with this method is that when you install the specialized drivers, they overtake your sound card drivers, making your speaker systems and other audio accessories completely unworkable. This means that either you will have to pick these headphones over your dedicated speaker system or you will have to uninstall and reinstall drivers back-and-forth to terminate this particular and rather annoying problem."

Not sure if this guy was a n00b or just had an OS issue...but I have my set, and am tweaking the sound atm (bass is not as strong as the HS1 that I had....but yes, it's surround alright....have to tweak)...

But anyways, if I want to play on my room speakers, I just change the output to go out through my soundcard....I've dropped the menu below. Very easy to do (just requires me to restart program like media player, etc, when I change).

soundoutputoptions.gif

GC Founder

I'm still tweaking. I floated around ingame very briefly...and I immediately noticed how DIFFERENT it was.

(btw, CSS has that 5.1 or 7.1 option, with the test...kinda nice)

Now, this set seems very light in the rears...meaning the back sounds are high-pitched and softer in comparison.....which means I'm tweaking because I can move the "distances" around like you do with your home receiver.

That said, it's very cool. I stand still as a ghost spectator and let things happen around me. You really can hear people run around you. Just so different sounding at the moment.

First impression is that the actual QUALITY of the sound is not as good as the HS1....but part of this that I'm still tweaking the bass/treble and getting used to the change.

Eventually I'll recognize the behind sounds. I was just so used to what EAX was doing for me that I really could tell if sounds were behind before. I'm wondering if this is going to improve my knowledge of surroundings. If it does, it'll be several weeks to a month before the learning curve is changed....

I'll keep the blog updated as I fiddle with them.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

PINNED.

I pinned this topic. This seems to come up quite often and there is a lot of information in this thread.

I ask that those who buy these new headsets to please give us their little "review" of how they sound, etc. I am looking to buy and am waiting for everone's response on the different headsets. I WILL buy 5.1 regardless.

GC Founder

I played a little this morning. The transition from EAX (basically taking my reg. headset and simulating surround) to actual 5.1 has me doing some circles.

The surround speakers in the back are really a very different sound, sorta like your surround speakers in your house....more treble, no bass at all, etc. I'm having to get used to this sound, and haven't really seen a way to send any deeper tones to the rear. However, eventually my brain will recognize these differently pitched sounds as behind me and all things will work together. Today I found myself standing in Short A on dust 2, CT's were running around (from there you can hear A, Long A, Spawn, Middle, etc) and let me tell you, I was getting dizzy.

Still gonna have to learn, and with limited play time, it could be a while. However, I can't go back to the others, else I'll never make the transition.

To anyone who gets these or something similar, make sure that you change your audio options in the game right away (was surprised that I remembered).

i like them alot, it does take some getting used to, they sound totally different,  im hearing the direction of the enemy alot better now.

How about the rear? Can you hear people shooting from behind you? I think I have a problem with my speakers. Can't hear a thing going on behind me in a game.

(edited)
Kruten, you have windows set up for 5.1 as well as CS:S correct...if one or the other is not set up for 5.1 then you might as well be playing with stereo.

Yes, but when I did the CSS speaker test thing it didn't recognize the rear speakers. Look into that now.

Edit: Hahahaha. It's totally messed up. I use the mobo ports, which is realtek, and the sound manager test says it's messed up. My left rear speaker plays sounds that my right rear speaker should be playing and my right rear speaker does nothing. Have to adjust the cables again.

Edited by Kruten

What should I look for when looking into a set of headphones?!

I dont mind if it's mic or no mic. but I want nice cushions AROUND, not on. No wireless.

but with specs I dont know... :(

I checked out most of these sets but i dont know wat to compare them with.