HEADSET TIME!

Fatty

GC Founder

I have laid the 5.1 aside and gone back to my HS1, taped up and all....set at 4 speakers in CSS, these do a fine job of telling me back/front...and my head has grown used to it.

If I do the sound test in CSS with 4 speakers set, I can hear what it's doing to the rear sound in my headset.....simulating....and I like..and I'm used to it....and it stays....

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Sennheiser PC 155. But by far the best headset I have ever used and still use on my Home Theater system is the Bose Triport headset. They fit OVER your ears. The sound is truly unreal. They are so great....I bought 2 sets. One Silver, the other Blue.

BOSE LINKAGE!!

GC Founder

I've packed up the LTB 5.1 USB headset. I'd like to investigate the Sennheiser PC 155 but I now think i want to stick with using my SBLive for the time being. When I select 4 speakers and use my headset, I still hear the rear through my headset, although a bit muffled and lighter....which is how I've been able to recreate the surround all this time. I've grown very used to this headset.

This is like changing mice.

Anyways, with my system (specs below) set to send sound output through this USB device, I did the video stress test in CSS and scored an average of about 58 FPS. I immediately exited the game, changed over to my SBLive card and redid the stress test. Mind you no sound is even used at this point. It scored 16 FPS higher at 74. Now, imagine if I'm driving surround sound through these suckers. Needless to say, I felt a bit of it in game. Obviously my setup just can't handle it.

In the end, I really didn't care for the sound I was getting....

A couple other factoids:

The LTB do block out lots of other sound, they fully cover your ears. However, being a family guy, this isn't necessarily the best thing. Also, my ears couldn't "breath" so to speak.

I'm going to look at NewEgg's return policy, and then consider something else, or perhaps just another set of HS1's by Plantronics, which, after switching back to last night, made me feel all warm and cuddly. I love em.

My system specs:

EXTREME GAMER CASE COPPER

AMD ATHLON 2600+

GIGA BYTE GA-7VT600L SOCKET

2 x 512 MB DDR PC2700 333MHZ

80GB 7200RPM SAMSUNG HARD DR

ATI RADEON 9800XT

WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION

I think what I would be interested in would be a headset that will split the front/back off correctly while using my soundcard. I tried using the converter with the LTB set and just running it from my soundcard, but in the end, I just wasn't pleased with the sound of the surround speakers in the headset.

GC Founder

RMA ordered, approved, and package going back today.

Tell me about the Sennheiser PC 155.

Does it come in non-USB? Like regular plug it into my soundcard version? Is it a headset or just headphones? I need a mic integrated.

Hmmm, just goes to show that you don't read my posts :P Yes, the usb portion of it is set up like an inline adapter type deal, you can simply unplug that part and you then have std 3.5mm analog plugs, 1 for mic, and 1 for headphones. Just let me know, as I said before, I can bring them to you for you to try out, then there is zero risk. :D

RMA ordered, approved, and package going back today.

Tell me about the Sennheiser PC 155.

Does it come in non-USB?  Like regular plug it into my soundcard version?  Is it a headset or just headphones?  I need a mic integrated.

I use the PC 155's and love them. They come without usb.

Hm, so long story short, Fatty gives 2 thumbs down for performance, rear sound quality, and just plain "cant get use to them."

Good review, very informative, you should concider putting a product review on neweeg, so many people just put either OH MY GEE I LOVE THESE THINGS NEWEGG ROXORS, or THESE THINGS ARE THE SUXXOR, NEWEGG ROXORS!!! A well made post with your comments might persuade others to look elsewhere.

I'm still looking at the above linkie in my last post, I might try them out...its either that or I'm going to upgrade my soundcard to an audigy2 platinum with the front outputs and I'll get a nice headset with plugs to attatch to the front.

I dont like the fact that the LTB with dropped fps...I get into the mid 30's with my setup as it is...dont want them to drop any lower.

Speaking of the following why do I get low fps in CS:S?? My rig isn't that underpowered.

I have the following:

AMD64 3000+

Gigibyte mobo...800 HMz fsb

1GB Patriot high speed dual channel DDR2700

GF4 6800GT OC

Sound Blaster Audigy (some vanilla model with 5.1 and EAX)

Windows XP Pro SP2

All my CS:S settings are on default (the ones with the *) by them.

155->150...stereo...a guess.

I did infact order my Tritton 5.1 headies this afternoon. I'll do the full review once I get and test them out.

As for why your comment is flagged as inaprop...no idea. Perhaps it is intelegently negetive with proper proofs...so much so that it may shy too many people away from buying 80+ bucks and going with something else, but really I doubt that.

It might also be that your flashed too many name brands in your review...they like to XXXXX out the name brands...maybe you hit a limit???

Edited by Brillow_Head

GC Founder

Can you guys figure out why my review is getting flagged inappropriate?

My LTB's are on their way back.  I'm a gamer and my Plantronics HS1 has a short but is functional, so I thought I'd go ahead and invest in another set.  CSS supports 5.1 so this was exciting.  The rear speakers (surround) have almost no sound to them, just your hollow surround sound like an entertainment set...but doesn't sound like a player behind you.  No bass behind, no substance.

Yes, the 5.1 works, and you CAN hear players all around, but the quality of the sound from the back speakers was too poor to be compensated.  Also, I lost 15 fps on the CSS Vid Stress test w/o even using sound, as compared to running output through my SBLive.  Created some lag for my average system (2.1 ghz, 1 gig ram).

Sending 4 channels to headset creates all the front/back I've needed, this really didn't help me.

Bass is also not very powerful at all.

Volume should be further from USB, not so far from the headset.

You might like tho!

newegg great service!!

Let's compare the

Sennheiser 155 (105 at newegg)

with

Sennheiser 150 (55 at newegg)

I'm going to guess, Brill, that if I uninstalled all of the 5.1 software, etc and ran these things out of my SBLive that my fps would be the same....but my SBLive doesn't know how to speak 5.1, combined with the fact that I just didn't like the sound.....so there you are.

I'd create another topic to discuss your fps, perhaps people can help you tweak to get em up a bit...

(edited)

If I am not mistaken...I believe the only difference is the USB and built in sound card.

Other than that. They are the same.

Edit: Added a link to a pcgameworld review PC 155 vs PC 150

Edited by §hažžž

Okay boys/girls...here is the first "unofficial" review for the Tritton 5.1 USB Audio Thunder Headset w/ Boom Mic

Appearance and construction: Very well Crafted, heavy duty but not heavy. The ear pieces swivle and fold for easy storage and the boom mic is very flexible but sturdy.

Comfort: Now where did I put that headset....oh, I'm wearing them.

Periphrials: You get an external decoder box with +/- vol, mute, power. This has a mini-8 pin to USB cable which connects to your computer. From there You have a cord with an end that closely resembles a large cell phone charger end on it that connects to an in-line volume control console with rotary knobs for rear/center/front/sub volumes. Too many volume controls IMO.

You also get a neck strap...for what I have no idea.

Setup: Needed to uninstall my SB audigy drivers before pluggin in the headset, then I needed to restart my comp, and disable my AC'97 audio (which I have turned off anyway) then restart again. The SB audigy was auto installed, the USB headset was autoinstalled. I then installed the sound contol pannel from the included CD.

I ran the speaker test which was set up in standard 2/5.1 mode (other modes include 2-2.1, mono-2.1 etc) and did a mic test which put noise through each of the 6 channels so I could set my volumes. I also ran a moving sound feild (circular sound feild that utilized the faders between the front/center/rear.

I did the usual CS:S audio setup.

Sound quality: I am very impressed so far. The sound feilds are full and rich, the low frequency response plus the rumble generators adds a bit of depth and realism that you usually miss out on. I have not had time yet to analyse sound field placement accuracy (ie, can I tell someone is behind me durring a frontal firefight etc). I also need to run video-stress test with the phones installed and without, however I was on dust 2 durring some big nade fights and did not notice any drop in fps.

I'll also have others verify the quality of the microphone. The voume output of the mic while doing the CS:S mic test is double the level of my old mic, but I think there is a bit of distortion....like I said I'll have to have other verify.

First round conclusion: 80 bones and worth every penny!!! Brillow gives :thumbsup:

Edited by Brillow_Head

sweet...

<-----Ninja!!!

Also, and this is nice. When the audio is not in use...ie, no games, no music, no movies are playing...I can power up the headset using the power button and it will set my default audio device automatically to the headset and shut off my speakers. Reversly, if I turn the power to the headset off (again, using the little power button on the controller) it will automatically select my soundcard and speakers as the default audio and use them instead.

No having to disable devices in my device manager...sweetness.

Edited by Brillow_Head

(edited)

Brillow, I did not notice there were 2 pages to this thread...nor did I happen to

look at the dates of the individual posts...I bought the ones Fatty sent back.......

...DOH! :bang: Anyway, guess I'll wait and see what they're like, though I really

wish I had realized the dates. What really sold me was Shep saying in game a couple of weeks ago that he got logi 350 and they were sweet. But in this thread

he decided to trade them for the LTB USB 5.1 Ohwell...I have not used a headset

so maybe they will be fine for me, though the FPS thing kinda worries me. :unsure2: Shep has not posted here for awhile about his headset, maybe

he's happy with they're performance?

Edited by wayfarer

Hmmmm, Sennheiser 150 for $55, or Brillow's Tritons (which he loves) for $76

Yeowch. Gotta think about the headset idea. Gotta get one, don't know about dropping that kind of cash on 'em though. :blink2:

Actually, re-reading Brillow's post, it would seem that I missed the really BIG BOLD letters USB. :bang::bang: Not sure I want to go the USB route...

More thinking needed. Call firedept, if the smoke from the thinking gets too dense. :P

yes im happy with them, there is a learning curve and some tweaking of the settings aim me and ill hook you up

Whew, I was hoping you would be happy with them Shep! Ok is aim like msn

messenger? I've seen that word used around but I am unfamiliar with it. If you have the time I would like to know. I just ordered the headset yesterday so it will be a couple of days before I get them, but some guideance

would be greatly appreciated! Thank-You! :thumbsup:

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

Brillow, I have a simple test that you can do.

1. With no audio at all. NO sound card or headphone and do the HL2 stress test.

2. 5.1 with only the sound card, no headphones

3. 5.1 with the soundcard turned off and only the headphones.

This will most of us an idea what kind of performance difference there is and maybe also post a link to these suckas again. If your numbers look well, I may pick up a pair.

EDIT: I take that back. The HL2 test I think is only a video stress test. Your best bet would be to run 3dmark03 and run just the sound test portion of it. Get your results from that instead.

Edited by zerodamage .gc