Episode 3

auggybendoggy

Important. If you did not see the movie GO SEE IT FIRST! SPOILERS BELOW!!

I loved the movie and thought it was on equal ground with ESB!

AWSOME and emotional. Very very good. anyone else.

Aug

Edited by whudats

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone gave me a ticket so i went last nite

was rather long and the scene with darth vadar is fixed and put in his suit is horribly stupid...it looks like something out of frankenstein and his "NNNOOOOOOO" cry was just plain bad

lots of action, good plot, and good acting

got a little blurry after like an hour and a half (the light saber scenes)

overall

8.5/10

(edited)

Id give it 4/4 Stars.

This is the darkest and most depressing of the Star Wars movies, but it's supposed to be. Palpatine was a monster in this... Just the way he fought with the lightsaber made him look nuts. I think the movie did an excellent job of tying together both trilogies. All the lightsaber fights were amazing. Even though we all know everyone's faith comming into the movie based on if they are in the OT, you still kinda are rooting for the good guys to win and for Anakin to not go bad.

Things I didnt like:

The way Padme died. It would have made more sense for her death to be caused BY the childbirth rather then her 'loss of the will to live.'

The wookie fight, while amazing, was way too short. The trailer for the movie covers 2/3's of it.

The love story. It was needed, but kinda slowed the movie down

Darth Vadar's 'Noooooo' while he throws his arms around was pretty cheesy too.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE NOW!

Edited by YoMamma

i agree about the NOOOOOOO.

but the scene with vader and siruis looking at the initial stages of the DS was classic.

It was a very depressing movie which I thought was perfect. Yes I agree Lucas' directing still was not 100% but it was yet better then I or II but the writting of this one was just great.

I give it a 9.5 out of 10

have fun all and don't expect too much. Just have fun

freaking loved it. and man is yoda freaking awsome with a lightsaber or what. when yoda and obi went to the temple and yoda threw his lightsaber into the guy was awsome. loved the wookie battle although short was very very good. also agree with the noooooo being cheesy but hey. haha and god love R2.

This movie was entirely action based, thank God, because the plot was lacking. It seemed like the writers wrote these 1 at a time, because they should have progressed the story of Anakin's anger and resentment toward the council WAY more than they did in the first 2. When he gave in to Sidius, it was almost completely out of nowhere.

But like I said, thank God this was all action, because it rocked. I wouldn't rate this movie very well as a normal movie, but it worked pretty well for Star Wars.

(edited)

if you havent seen it dont read this post.

dod,

I think your point is well taken that his turning to siruis is a bit lacking in that they show you glipmses of them spending time together but not much time... You don't get a feel of a real relationship.

On the other hand it works well into the whole scheme to show that his allegiance to the emporer is not as strong as it appears in 4 and 5.

His turning was out of desperation and not a love for hatred and power.

This makes lukes words even more true when he tells him...I can feel the conflict within you...there is still good in you.

These mistakes anakin made he was living with and it took luke to bring him back.

I do like the plot though. The plot I think seems to lack cause it's already known. It's the details that lack such as you mentioned. I did think it was VERY POWERFUL how lucas captured the UGLY feeling of making HUGE mistakes and HORRIBLE descisions that mess other peoples lives up.

aka...scott peterson killing his wife. Can you imagine how the others must feel. Her family and freinds. To look at this guy is what I felt for OBwan and amidala as they found this friend and love a monster. Can you imagine if your close family member becomes a murderer.

(please note that I'm not saying I feel what they feel.....their pain is much more.

I just mean that I felt like I got a small taste of what it would be like to have someone you love do something so horrible). Another example would be for a mom to murder her own children....SO SAD...as the children dont understand why the one they love so much is trying to kill them...the horror they must feel is unphanotmable for us.

Lucas made a powerful point about making wise and good descisions and how it is soooo much better than greed and power.

I felt very depressed and it moved me. When anakin yells "I hate you" my heart sank for OBwan as he watched his brother being sucked into this evil and it was too late to save him. (he had already done too much damage killing other jedi and younglings- atrocities).

I also thought it powerful how when anakin did evil he wept. That moved me also in that many people (drug addicts, murderers) dont always mean to destroy things but do...and yet they don't want to at the same time.

Drug addicts (a personal freidn addicted to heroine killed himself about 5 years ago) who hate what they have become but are sooooo determined to get another high.

I found this to be very powerful in the overall story.

Edited by auggybendoggy

(edited)

I loved this movie. It's my favorite of them all. The only thing I wish Lucas would have done, was to show Darth Vader in fight scenes with his suit on. I felt the same way about Darth Maul. Darth Maul was a bad mofo and not highlighted enough in episode I.

Edited by simkiller

DoD said it perfectly for me:

I wouldn't rate this movie very well as a normal movie, but it worked pretty well for Star Wars.

I was entertained, but wasn't overjoyed at the end of it. It just didn't fall together enough as a film to be great, though it WAS a very good transitional film.

One thing that bothers me is Lucas' lack of regard for the "expanded universe" (the books and comics) that he ALLOWS to be created. Yet he utterly ignores them in his films. That bothers me alot. I was a HUGE Star Wars fan as a kid and young adult...up until the time that Greedo shot first....that was the beginning of the end of my Star Wars obsession...and then Episode 1 happened....and ick....

anyway....yeah, other than a few minor problems I had with the film, I did enjoy it and don't regret the money I spent to see it. But I AM glad it's over and I won't have to feel required to watch anymore Star Wars films.

One thing is that I went back and watched the origionals before seeing Episode 3....and it can't hold a candle to the origionals....which is a big thing for me to say because I usually can't stand older films.

I saw it yesterday with Gond, I loved it. Ive read alot of the books that take place in between the movies, and it helps with the plot..

Me and Gond could only see 1 thing wrong with the story, Obi-wan watches Luke and Leah being born.. SO in Empire Strikes Back when Luke is leaving Degobah to save his friends, Obi-wan says "That boy was our only hope" and Yoda says "No, there is another"... So I guess that Obi-wan didnt know that Leah has the force too???? Thats the only thing that didnt fit, that we could see..

(edited)

That was a good catch Batman. And yes, the "Nooooo!" was a little cheesy, but if you take it in context and understand that he is still the very emotive and passionate Anakin under the Vader hood then it makes sense. Maybe the camera work could have been done better to take away some of the cheese-factor - closer in shot or have him yell when he is force-crushing all of the equipment.

We went and saw it last night, and loved it (all digital projection and sound - rocked!). It was painful and sad to watch Anakin crying as he killed all of those people because he thought it was the only way he could save Padme.

I'm a little torn about the ending though, where Sidious tells Vader that Vader/Anakin killed Padme in his anger. I want to believe that Vader/Anakin would have realized that there was no way that he would have killed Padme. That was the reason why he chose the dark side - to save her from dying. I would have liked to see him rip Sidious' head off for lying and deceiving him, but then...no emperor. You could argue that it was about power/greed, but he was scarred by the loss of his mother and did not want to lose Padme. I think he would have known in his heart that he didn't kill Padme. But oh well.

This movie was more emotionally involving than any of the other Star Wars films. Watching Anakin's struggle - he truly was a tortured soul throughout the film - was painful and heartbreaking. Yes, maybe they could have shown more of that in Episode II, but I think they did an excellent job of portraying it here, and Anakin's interactions with Palpatine as he is manipulated to the dark side were done well IMO.

I actually began to question the "prophecy" about the chosen one bringing balance to the force when watching Episode II. Yoda's suggestion that it might have been misinterpreted was spot on, I think. Balance means both good and evil (can't have one without the other), not the destruction of the Sith (evil) like all the Jedi believed.

I would like to see what happens to Vader between the end of this one and when we see him next. It seems like he loses all of his passion - even the anger - between this film and when we see him next.

I rate this film right behind Empire in the rankings of the films, and think it was the most emotionally involving of the six.

**EDIT: Did anyone else see the heart in General Grievous? Was that a human heart? We heard a lot of people murmurring about how could a robot be sick, coughing, etc; and my GF mentioned it also. I think Lucas did that to show what could be done (technologically) as far as keeping a human alive when they should be dead; an allusion to what would be done to Anakin/Vader. I also think General Grievous used to be a human...

Edited by whudats

(edited)

Whudats, if you have read any of the novels or comic books you would know that once you turn to the dark side the reason you turned doesnt matter anymore.. Once the dark side has you, you are a slave really and your anger doenst go away..

In a early 90's series of 'Tales of the Jedi' comics two brothers are jedi, and one thinks he can learn about the dark side without turning to it.. He was wrong and he killed his brother.. Its the story of Xar Kun, he died on Yavin 4 and they used him in a story with Luke and Kip Duram..

In a novel that takes place after Ep1 A young Anakin and Obi go looking for a Jedi named Verge (she's like a bird) and find a living planet.. Anakin kills a guy using the dark side in the book, so his struggle must take place for a long time..

Oh and about General Grevious, he had to been partly alive for Duku to teach him the ways of the jedi...

Edited by Batman

Okay. I guess that makes sense. But I would still think Vader would realize that Sidious was lying to him, and, Sith or not, would have been all angrified and gone nuts on him...

Anakin (using the dark side) kills a guy in a book bewtween Episodes I and II? Wow. I guess Obi-Wan didn't know...?

Did anyone else see the heart in General Grievous?  Was that a human heart?  We heard a lot of people murmurring about how could a robot be sick, coughing, etc; and my GF mentioned it also.  I think Lucas did that to show what could be done (technologically) as far as keeping a human alive when they should be dead; an allusion to what would be done to Anakin/Vader.  I also think General Grievous used to be a human...

I read that Grevious is about 10 percent organic. As for him coughing and hacking. In the 23rd/24th episode of clone wars cartoon, Mace Windu messes him up a bit by crushing his stomach area. This is likely why he is like that.

as to the balance thing...its not destroying the dark side, but being able to harness the power of the dark side without surcomming to it. It was said that Anakin would be able to do this, but they were wrong...it was his son that does this.

If any have read the Star Wars comics, Shadows of the Empire which takes place after the fall of the 2nd death star. Luke vows to bring the force back into balance...and in doing so he must conquer the dark side. He is taken at first...and serves the emperor (a clone with palpatines soul) for a time, then breaks free with the full power of the force and destroys not only palpatine, but his soul as well. Good series..you should read it. Favorite part, an AT-AT walker (4 leg) attacks Luke (who has been taken by the dark side)...which upsets Luke greatly, so he simply crushes the walkers head with a thought!!! woot...

(edited)

What are you guys talking about, he brought balance.... Now there is him and Palpatine, and Yoda and Obi... Thats pretty balanced...

Whodats, yeah Obi didnt know that Anakin used the darkside.. He split the guys face open..

Brillo, i have that trade paperback.. And your right luke puts his hand up and the at-at falls.... VERY VERY cool... OH in that comic, the holocube Luke and Leah get, the Jedi in it i think its Vodo Bazz something like that.. He was Exar Kun's master..

Edited by Batman