need sata feedback

stutters

hi gang.

i've been wrestling with my system since it's been built. i have an intel based system (865pe chipset) with a 3.0ghz prescott and the msi 865pe neo2 board. ideally, i'd be running my 200gb sata drive exclusively. anytime i try to run off sata with anything intense (copying files > 100mb between partitions, gaming, photoshop, or any of the above while listening to mp3s), my system stutters*, then dies.

i've opened trouble tickets with both msi and seagate (board and drive mfg respectively), and both ended were closed citing "try a different drive/mobo."

simple survey:

who here runs sata as their primary drive? please include drive mfg, chipset, and board mfg. thanks for the feedback...

*and hence stuttering.john, regardless of the fact my first name is not john.

(edited)

Well it sounds more like a RAM or OS issue to me. I'm running a maxtor 200gb sata drive on my Asus A8V DX AMD64 System and never had a hiccup.

If Seagate or MSI will allow an exchange I would give that a go.

Edited by Preacher

I'm running my WD 80gb HD exclusively as SATA. I've got an Epox 939 chipset Mobo & AMD64 3000+ CPU. And not had any issues.

Maybe you should come to the darkside. Join us in the AMD world. :=

GC Alumni

yeah yeah yeah. "back in the day..." i was an amd kid, then had three processors smoke out. went intel, and have been waiting to jump ship ever since.

think i could borrow a few bucks? :mwink:

sounds like it's your powersupply. best way to test this is to swap yours with someone elses and see if it still stutters.

if it's not the powersupply then rma the harddrive.

survey answer below:

2 sata 120gig maxtor diamond max plus 9s in raid 0, msi k8n neo mobo with nf3 chipset

GC Alumni

first, i'm developing a hate for you amd guys and your stability. <me throws a stick in your heatsink fan>

ok, hate aside.

second, cujo, what kind of psu do you have? i'm running an antec true power 430w, which in some haze of confusion i may have misinterpreted as enough juice. that'd be super duper dope if you were onto something. i don't think anyone has second guessed my psu yet, so if nothing else, hat tip for the creative suggestion...

third, cujo, lock your doors. i'm coming for your raid storage.

lol. i'm using a pc power & cooling 510w deluxe sli power supply.

a 430w antec "should" be enough for your system. am i correct in assuming you're not overclocking? either way your power supply could be defective or maybe just worn out. if your system is locking up then it's gotta be the power supply or the harddrive.

• 2 years later...