I am soo bummed

NOFX

so here is my deal....

i recently graduated from college with a CS degree. I have moved out of hillbilly country into somewhat of a city area in N.C to look for a job. so Im down here living on my friends futon for a month until I can get a job. I have sent out many many resumes to at least 15 place here at are hiring and I cant even get one call back. So my job hunt isnt looking good at all....

On top of that my girlfriend of um...8 months is driving me crazy. We were really close with one another and told each other almost everytyhing. About a month ago we moved 5 hours apart and everything was cool until recently, now I dont get phone calls and Im left with unanswered IM's. I'm going to stop trying and she can talk to me if she wants......So i guess that is going down the tube also...

Now Im at a point in my life and I dont know where to go... I have a degree and cant get a job, girlfriend has caused me more confusion than rubix cube and Im starting to run low on the graduation money, I got enough for about another month or two of being unemployed. Going back to the rents house is not an option, I maybe could visit for a week or so, but thats about it. So I ask for some advice, what do I do?

Find a job cleaning bathrooms? Join the service? Or go back to school and get my Masters degree?? If you have any other ideas, I would like to hear them, but I could really use some advice and a push in the right direction.

keep looking!

:D

you will find what you are looking for. My older bros after graduating school were in the same position as u were in. just keep pokin away at it, the jobs are out there, but they're camping in n00b camp spots, yuh gotta check those too!

and your g/f... i was in this same boat, as im sure many other will post too

i moved away, things were good for a little while, then got progressively worse

but with her not responding to your attempted contacts, things are obviously not cool with her, but if she wont even talk to u about it, being as close to u as she is, u are better off without her man...

you have a degree. you have your close friends, the ones that matter. and most importantly, your whole life ahead of you! you WILL find job. things will turn out great, its just hard to see that during times like these. j00 can do eet !

:boing::boing::boing:

ohh NOFX im sorry.

about your girlfriend, good job on the stop trying part, obviously she has stopped caring That much. Although something could have possibly happened, she could have gotten some idea's with the whole 5 hour away thing. Just kinda leave her alone for a while and see if she does anything, if not, then i guess u got ur answer.

Keep lookign for a job though, but if you feel like you obviously don't have the necessary skills to get the jobs you applied for, it never hurts to go back, although that is too much school for me, im sure you could pull it off.

See you around!

Hey NOFX give these guys a call, schedule a meeting and give them your resume. They have a ton of IBM contracts and they'll definitly find you something.

They do a ton of temp to perm positions or set length contracts, I took a 3 year contract with IBM, the pay is good and they offer benefits. They also have alot of short term work, like just a day or 2 doing something tech related. At least it'll put a little jingle in your pocket.

Here are all the NC offices.

http://teksystems.com/offices/nc.asp

Good stuff here. I graduated with a Civil Engineering degree in 2002. I sent out literally over 150 resumes while looking for jobs. I'd say 1/10 or even 1/20 I got a reply from. Maybe 1/30 I actually got an interview. I worked construction building houses, I worked for another company building fences, I did all kinds of stuff while I was looking for a job. Do something that will bring in money. If nothing, it gives you something to do to take your mind off how tinkled you are that you don't get more replies to your resumes. February of this year I finally got into a position that utilizes my Civil Engineering degree. It takes time. You have the skill set, just give it time. Don't be too proud to do something remedial to get you to where you want to be.

Also, in my experience, getting a job is more about who you know than what you know. Do you have any friends in the industry? People who know people who could hand off resumes for you, vouch for you kinda thing? That has been 1000xs more fruitful for me than cold calling or sending our resumes into the blue.

I moved back in with my parents after college and even while I started my career. Dunno the situation there tho, but if it's pride, set it aside. If it's more than that, nvmd me.

Yes, get a job doing something.

How would you pay for your Master's degree?

thanks for the heads up guys... Yes, I will just start looking for any type of job now I guess. But I will still keep an eye out for my field, I just sent out 3 more resumes today. Anyway, yea I do wish I knew someone in my industry it would help me out alot, but unfortunatly I know noone except a few kids I graduated with.

And fatty, my pride wouldnt be hurt at all by moving back in. They want me to and I really have no problem with them, its just the fact they live in a two stoplight town and I'm really trying to do something and I just think if I move back for a while, I will end up being stuck there forever...

As far as the master's go... I was very lucky to make it through college without having any student loans... I was thinking about actually taking out loans this time for the masters. I think it would only costs around 5,000 a year.

I agree with the others on this. I would get a job doing almost anything. Before I really got started I worked for a local moving company. I'm not the biggest fella around, and I had to move all kinds of stuff. And most of it was dirty.

But hey! It was cash! And thats what paid the bills.

NOFX I am sure you got a good head on your shoulders...something will turn up for you. Idle time will make you lose your mind...so even if you have to work diggin ditches, at least you will be feel like your accomplishing something.

Wish the best for you!

By the way...a girl that will leave you now, more than likely will leave you in the future.

Good posts from Bear and BGB. You really gotta work the job hunt. Make an XL sheet and keep a tally on your best prospects. Send out a billion resumes on careerbuilder and monster. When you find a company or position that looks interesting (either online or even just driving around, asking around, magazines, etc) add it to your XL file.

Then start cold calling the HR personell at these companies. If they blow you off, call the hiring manager. It will take some calls to the receptionists and some legwork to get the HR person or the hiring managers name and phone number, but if you act like NOFX PI you can do it.

When you call, tell them how interested you are, how eager and fast learner, blah blah blah. NOT how great you think the job is for you. In other words, what do YOU offer THEM??

I have tons of interview advice too, but the best thing I can think to say is DO YOUR HOMEWORK before any interviews. Dream up likely questions and your responses to them. Practice your answers. Practice your handshake, a smile, a little confidence.

Getting a job is tough work, treat it like a job in and of itself. And maybe take a job during a 2nd shift or something to pay the bills and leave a chunk of the day open for you to interview, call, etc.

Good luck man! Hand in there...something will pop up. Also, you need to let all your friends and family know you are looking. Nepotism rox! :)

thanks for the help guys..I called this fairly large surf shop chain about a job as webmaster, made my way to the hiring manager, but she didnt answer, I left a message and I acctually got a call back. So I am supposed to talk to her tomorrow morning. I will take in the advice you guys said and see how it works.

Things turned around... as soon as I think Im screwed I hit jackpot..

I decided to get my family member to hook me up with a Tech support Job, that I really didnt want to do... So after I got that squared away and an interview lined up. I got a call for a web developer/network technician for a small software company, A call for a non IT job, then I got an interview next week with a defense contractor that does Combat Systems.... woohoo