Steam Statistics: Can you believe this?

Fatty

We talked about this a while ago, but I'm still amazed.

There are almost 4x's as many people still playing CS than CS:S.

http://www.steampowered.com/status/game_stats.html

Do you think the main reason is the fact that people played a free game for so many years and just didn't want to pay for the next game? I really can't believe that many people would buy CS:S and then go back to CS.

Wow, 8.667 million playing Sven Co-Op....wow.

yea i wouldn't think they would buy it and go back either....thats like switchin from x-box back to good ol atari!! lol, i didnt even know that there are that many ppl still playin 1.6.... cool link fatty. :peace:

I guess a lot of die hards still have their Super Gaming Pc from when CS first came out that could run it perfectly and they never went back...we should start a fund, then have a party with the money

I think most of them are scared of change. If CSS isn't exactly like 1.6 they complain. Things that are wrong and should be fixed they complain. Like the silencer quickswitch thing. People said stuff like "Its always been like that so why change it?" or "Its not an exploit.", The people who are saying that are saying the exact same thing about the AWP quick switching right now.

Yeah, perhaps there is a group of people that don't have the money to buy the game or a new computer.

Guest Bilbo
Guest Bilbo
Guest Bilbo
Guests

I think alot of the game kind of misssed cs by i don't know maybe 1hundred :=

(edited)

Well, also source is completely unplayable with a modem connection, but I knew a LOT of people that played the older versins with modems.

Maybe that has something to do with it? Hardware and networking speeds?

And maybe their ole trusty hacks dont work in steam so,....

Edited by Laz.e.rus

(edited)

Bilbo Posted Today, 02:13 PM

I think alot of the game kind of misssed cs by i don't know maybe 1hundred shocked3.gif

bilbo makes me laugh. just try reading that out loud.

:unsure: x2

Back to the topic, i think people are just afraid of the change and dont feel like getting used to something new. I know i had trouble adjusting from 1.6 to source and still have problems with source but i dont let it bother me like before.

Edited by TheBugs

GC Founder

I too wonder where DoD:S will suck from....whether it will be more from DoD or from CS:S.

For the sake of history and study, I've gnabbed a screenshot of the stats so we can compare down the road.

steamstatistics0708.gif

I'm also going to change the topic title so we can dig this up more readily.

I'd say the most interesting stat is the player minutes / month. The other 2 columns change every time the page is updated as that's the "current" players at that moment.

Still I'm a little surprised that there's THAT much different. I would've thought it'd be more of an even split.

But I do believe the #1 hurdle is the good ol' $. I have several friends that don't upgrade just because they either don't wanna fork out the cash to build a new comp to handle Source effectively or just don't wanna pay out to buy HL2.

I can understand this decision but I think if they tried Source they might change their mind about it. It's def worth the cost. And I honestly wonder if we'll be seeing much more in the way of 1.6 updates in the future. I think valve will probably try to let it slide as they want to focus on source more.

I still enjoy 1.6. I used to be great at the game, better than i am at source, but after playing source, i just cant cut it anymore in 1.6. Source isnt as sound as 1.6, its still rough, all the hit box issues and headshots being a dime a dozen, its just not hte same. I wish GC had a 1.6 server i could go to when ever i get the itch.

Last HL1 update. June 7th of 2005. A little over a month ago.

HL1 Engine Update

June 7, 2005, 4:12 pm · Alfred Reynolds

Updates to the HL1 Engine have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

HL1 Engine

* Fixed several exploits triggered by malicious server operators (found by Stan Bubrouski)

* As part of the next version of VAC, which is currently in testing, the Linux game server now must have GLIBC 2.3.2 or above installed

HL1 Engine Master Server Query Protocol

These changes bring the HL1 engine's querying protocol in line with that of the Source engine. If you connect to Steam enabled game servers using a third party tool, you may need to contact the vendor for an update.

* Added a challenge number to A2S_PLAYER and A2S_RULES server queries.

Setting "sv_enableoldqueries" to 1 (currently the default) allows old style (no challenge/response) queries to work

* Changed A2S_INFO server query to require the string "Source Engine Query" appended to the end of the query packet

* Removed support for "info", "infostring", "details", "players" and "rules" queries, use A2S_INFO, A2S_PLAYERS and A2S_RULES instead

Last HL1 update before that. July 24th, 2004. Almost a year ago.

CS Update Released

July 24, 2004, 3:33 pm · cliffe

An update for Counter-Strike has just been released. Steam will update itself automatically when you restart. Here is the change:

COUNTER-STRIKE

* Improved shell ejection behavior causing errors