Combating Eyestrain

Unclean

This was brought up in another thread, but I thought it may help others.

Do any of you experience eye strain after playing games for awhile? How do you combat it? Glasses? Changing the refresh rate of your monitor? Something else?

For me, I use glasses instead of contacts. The glasses have an anti-glare coating that seems to really help.

I get up and go for some ph00d!

It allows my eyes to get a rest and my belly gets full. Also my bum gets the feeling back in it!

I read somewhere that when ur reading a book for prolong amounts of time, you should try to focus on something that is distance. So if my eyes are bothering me, I read the 2 speeding tickets that are posted on my cork board. (They are my reminders)

I think this is more for keeping ur eyes healthy and not strained.

i run refresh rate of 100 and i've never noticed eye strain. i have 20/20 vision and i've been gaming for at least 6 years now. i've always run at a refresh of at least 85. 60 makes my eyes hurt after about 2 seconds and i can tell the difference between 85 and 100. 85 hurts after a while too.

*note- this does not apply to lcd screens, just crts.

Hmm.. My eyes usually go crazy after about 5 minutes of being at the computer with my contacs in. On top of that, I can never see things in game as well. I usually just switch over to my glasses.

Might have to try a higher refresh rate. I have been running 60Hz.

I had to do something about my headaches. I had the Lasik surgery over a year ago. My eye sight before was terrible, now it is 20/15 in both eyes. I love it!!

However, I noticed that my eyes were getting really tired and I was getting headaches. I was running my CRT monitor at 60. I tried to change it up higher but my monitor wouldn't let me. I was running a Trinitron 19 inch Flat screen ( a true flat screen).

So what I did for the good of my eyes was buy a LCD monitor. I am really enjoying it. No more headaches (unless you count all the Boooom Headshots I keep hearing..lol).

My eyes don't get tired as much. If your headaches are really bad. Might want to invest in a really good screen filter or buy a LCD monitor. If you go the route of the screen filter, make sure and buy a good one. Cause you have to stare at that thing everytime you sit at the table.

OK..I have an Nvidia 6600gt. My desktop is 1600x1024, so my refresh for my monitor caps at 75 for that res. but..HOW CAN I make it so that when I play games ( like 1024x768) the refresh is higher during the game and the lower res?

OK..I have an Nvidia 6600gt. My desktop is 1600x1024, so my refresh for my monitor caps at 75 for that res. but..HOW CAN I make it so that when I play games ( like 1024x768) the refresh is higher during the game and the lower res?

You can get a program to force refresh rates for certain programs. I don't know what any of them are called but i know they are out there.

(edited)

not for specific games but for the specific refresh at each res and colour depth. i'm fairly certain my friend with a 6800gt had it back during the school year as an option in his drivers. i know ati has it but it's more specific in the nvidia drivers.

Edited by *|CsLs|*Cujo

ah..perhaps there is misunderstanding. I can change my refresh all i want no prob. BUT, since my desktop is so high (res) my refresh caps at 75 (Due to the crt monitor limits). PLaying a game my res is 1024x768 and can refrsh at 100. However, I cant find a way to specify to change that refresh rate when the game loads. IE: the only work around I can find is to run my desktop at 1024 (ewww) so the refresh is already at 100 before i even load the game.

I've been wearing contacts for 19 years and have'nt worn glasses since. I love them, I love them so. By the time I notice my eyes hurt from gaming for long periods, I notice my legs, back, and arse hurt too. :(

Also make sure you use indirect lighting in your comp room at night. I have a quartz desk lamp facing the wall behind my desk, and a lava lamp on the other comp desk behind me.

I cant stand monitor refresh rates lower then 85, just drives me crazy. Unfortunatly my old Samsung 955DF maxes out at 1152 x 864 @85hz. Any higher res and the refresh drops down to 75hz. Can't hack it at 75hz, so I run all my games at 1152 x 864 with AA and AF.