Bought a new laptop

DirtyBird

I just purchased a new Inspiron 9300 from Dell, for $1700. Here are the specs:

Pentium M 760 Processor (2GHz/533MHz FSB)

17 inch UltraSharp Wide ScreenXGA+ Display

1GB, DDR2, 533MHz RAM

256MB NVIDIA 6800 GO Video Card

80GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive

Does anyone have this laptop or has had experience with it - if so, what do you think? Also, for you computer techies out there, did I make a good purchase in your opinion?

I have the ancestor of that laptop (Inspiron 8600 if I'm keeping my numbers in order), and it is great. The Pentium M is an awesome processor and it must be the coolest (temperature-wise) Pentium in a long time with loads of "oomph". I think I have a 5650 GoFX video card in mine. I do want to mention that for the vid cards from my generation, Dell has to update the drivers (or you have to be real good at scavenging third-party drivers, which I am not). I am not sure with the new gen of video cards. I say this because Dell never updated my drivers. However, I still play Source just fine at Low settings, 1024, or 800x600 at high settings, and obviously HL2 works even better (1024 at high iirc). Obviously you'll be able to do better, probably much better. The Ultrasharp screen...*drool*. I did notice the RAM gets really really really hot (did I mention really?), especially under load but even when it's not so much. Don't know if that's an issue with this model, I know Dell was aware of the issue and I hope their engineers looked into cooling it better. I would be happy to have that for $1700, because...well...it's a laptop. Portability is great.

It's a Dell, of course...But...Dude, you're getting a Dell!

dell makes great laptops. it's their desktops that i despise. mostly cause i can build you a better one for half the price. if i could build laptops i'm sure i'd hate their laptops too.

btw, they charge an arm and a leg for upgrades. that's mostly why i hate them.

dirty, looks like a killer laptop. should bring you many great gaming hours. how's the battery life?

I upgraded to a 9-cell Lithium Ion battery, which gets about 5 hours of battery life. Speaking of Dell desktops - yes, they are very expensive. When I bought my Dell XPS about 2 years ago, I paid $2500 for the following:

1 GB RAM

120 GB HD

17" CRT Monitor

ATI 9800 128MB Video Card

Pentium 3.0 GHZ Processor

I have now since upgraded to an ATI X800XL 256MB card and the computer still runs every game to it's highest settings. However, I look at their new XPSs now, and they start at half the price, lol.

Yeah, DirtyBird, I say you got a good deal on that laptop. I've never had issues with Dell either, at least nothing on the order of machines ceasing to work after 4-5 months. Heck, at work all we run is Dell, and I've never had a major problem with the desktops and servers here, no downtime for hardware issues. Now, when I mess up an install of our map servers and take down a machine for a day...But that's not Dell's fault.

I upgraded to a 9-cell Lithium Ion battery, which gets about 5 hours of battery life.  Speaking of Dell desktops - yes, they are very expensive.  When I bought my Dell XPS about 2 years ago, I paid $2500 for the following:

1 GB RAM

120 GB HD

17" CRT Monitor

ATI 9800 128MB Video Card

Pentium 3.0 GHZ Processor

I have now since upgraded to an ATI X800XL 256MB card and the computer still runs every game to it's highest settings.  However, I look at their new XPSs now, and they start at half the price, lol.

im not trying to sound cool or anything, but I did a major upgrade 3 years ago and over a course of about 3 months, it ended up costing about $850 bucks... and she is still running strong

1 Gig of Ram

80 gig HD

ATI 9500 PRO

Pentium 3.0Ghz

21" CRT

I could make all the colors match and write DELL on the side with a sharpie and it will be just as good :)

Edited by NOFX

I like your purchase dirty,

I was thinking of the 9300 too but i may go with the 700m just for it only being 4 pounds, but i dont need it for gaming of anything but surfing and such, the ultrasharp screen is sweet.

Did you get the accidentall warranty? even though ive heard its hard to tell them something is wrong but they always replace stuff. My roomate 2 years ago tipped a beer over on his notebook from dell and it ruined the keyboard and the motherboard, within 1.5 weeks he had a brand new laptop, warranties are the best for laptops.

Great place with reviews by customers, all good for the 9300

M2, I agree: That accident warranty thing is pretty good (Do they call it CompleteCare?). I got a friend a brand new LCD for his laptop near the end of his CC contract because "the colors weren't right" (they weren't, but that's because it was getting dim, and that was probably a function of the backlight, not the panel, but they replaced the whole thing). I've also known a few people on campus here do horrific things to their laptops (no beer stories but one mixed drink. White Russian iirc) and Dell always had them new ones lickety split when they had that warranty. So, historically I can say that I haven't heard anything negative about it besides the fact that it's another additional cost.

Depends on the price. Big picture, the bottom line is Dell wouldn't offer it if they were losing money. Of course, that's the big picture. If you were buying a few hundred laptops then statistically speaking you might have an objective basis for it.

Since you're buying a single laptop (as most of us are) it's really more of a peace of mind thing. Is it worth the asking price to make you feel invulnerable? You know, beer next to the laptop and who gives it it gets knocked over kind of invincible. Knock it off a table or drop it while trying to carry three things at a time. Pretty much all accidents are preventable if you are careful, so it's very much for peace of mind. I would be more inclined to recommend it for a laptop than a desktop, though, to throw in my two cents.

it's rather sad the way ppl look at technology today. personally, i would never want any drink next to anything of value even if it can be easily replaced. what's the point of wrecking a perfectly good piece of equipment?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I personally am a fan of HP laptops. You can get A64's in them which makes for a better gaming laptop at a lower price than the Dell's Pentium M's.

Yeah, I decided against the accidental damage. My laptop is on a higher level on my desk and not next to any spillable things. Also, I got a nice case for it, as far as physical damage.

I love the laptop though - it's great.

zero, i looked at hp and i looked at dell and i looked everywhere and none of them are customizable. i badly wanted an a64 laptop but ended up with a centrino cause i got an asus barebones and bought my own ram, cpu and hdd. an equivalent to my laptop isn't available from any of the major retailers and anything similar is far more expensive.

i've already modded the cpu and gpu cooler. there's a ton of enthusiasts with this laptop and one guy is working on a custom gpu heatsink that'll shave off 15C+ and allow much higher clock speeds. you DEFINITELY won't get that kind of thing with a dell or hp. then again i'm into that soft of thing.

Cujo -- I agree, but there's no accounting for taste. I think a good comparison is to the situation involving Linux: There are plenty of forums where knowledgeable people can help others get going, but it will never have a hope of becoming mainstream while many of those people insist on talking down to n00bs. It takes all kinds...

Also, did you mod those with something you made yourself, or is there a site with laptop-friendly stuff? Please link if so, my RAM runs quite hot...

DirtyBird, I think you'll be fine. Just make sure you treat it with the respect it deserves.