The CS update we've been waiting for!

YoMamma

de_nuke.jpg

this next cs:s update will add two classic maps back, kinda:

de_nuke

de_militia (notice this is no longer a cs_map)

As you can see from the picture, we're going to see the GIGN CT model and Guerilla T model back again!

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

bah, i don't care for guerilla or gign, i want my leet krew back :(

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
I don't like the new models!

the new guerilla looks like a plastic toy or something, just like the nasty hack job that valve(or whatever company they paid to do it) did for Condition Zero.

the new guerilla looks like a plastic toy or something, just like the nasty hack job that valve(or whatever company they paid to do it) did for Condition Zero.

Maybe if he had a like bandana thingy over his face... i don't want to play a guy with facial hair. LOL. Those new models look SO out dated. I am excited about playing in HDR.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

Maybe if he had a like bandana thingy over his face... i don't want to play a guy with facial hair. LOL. Those new models look SO out dated. I am excited about playing in HDR.

don't get so excited about HDR ebil, you know how valve is. the moment you enable the feature in options your CS will crash!

Don't judge the guerilla until we can see how the diffuse normals look on the skin in different lighting. Flesh is really, really hard to do right. Especially on a game engine, and especially under hard lighting. But I think that the HL2 models were really well done.

...I hope that was a militia typo.

...and it was Turtle Rock who finally did the CS:CZ game, and I was rather pleased, but also really unhappy with how they tried to turn the 1337 Krew into an actual, mid-Eastern terrorist organization...

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
Don't judge the guerilla until we can see how the diffuse normals look on the skin in different lighting.  Flesh is really, really hard to do right.  Especially on a game engine, and especially under hard lighting.  But I think that the HL2 models were really well done.

...I hope that was a militia typo.

...and it was Turtle Rock who finally did the CS:CZ game, and I was rather pleased, but also really unhappy with how they tried to turn the 1337 Krew into an actual, mid-Eastern terrorist organization...

i am aware that flesh is hard to do right, but c'mon. the CZ guerilla model looked worse than a model from far cry and this guy looks just the same. i hated the stupid leet krew from CZ too. what was valve smoking when they ok'ed that model from turtle rock??

don't get so excited about HDR ebil, you know how valve is. the moment you enable the feature in options your CS will crash!

yeah, i dont't know how many people have DoD:S, but hdr is not really that awe-inspiring. It's kind of a cool effect, but i don't really see a difference when i turn it off. And it kills fps

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

yeah, i dont't know how many people have DoD:S, but hdr is not really that awe-inspiring. It's kind of a cool effect, but i don't really see a difference when i turn it off. And it kills fps

IMHO, HDR is too little too late. the source engine was outdated before it even went gold and the next gen engines are already upon us (FEAR, unreal 3 & 4). valve is gonna have to switch on the afterburner or live off of CS:S profits :/

i think it's like comparing apples and oranges, b/c the source engine, especially w/ HL2, is geared more towards realism. Unreal is much more over the top, lasers and metal textures and so forth. I have played alot of unreal, and i don't think i'd put it ahead of the source engine. I haven't played FEAR, so i can't compare

i think it's like comparing apples and oranges, b/c the source engine, especially w/ HL2, is geared more towards realism.  Unreal is much more over the top, lasers and metal textures and so forth.  I have played alot of unreal, and i don't think i'd put it ahead of the source engine.  I haven't played FEAR, so i can't compare

Not following your point here... :blink:

i think it's like comparing apples and oranges, b/c the source engine, especially w/ HL2, is geared more towards realism.  Unreal is much more over the top, lasers and metal textures and so forth.  I have played alot of unreal, and i don't think i'd put it ahead of the source engine.  I haven't played FEAR, so i can't compare

Not following your point here... :blink:

it was in response to ash's post regarding the engine...i think the two engines are built for much different environments, so it's difficult to compare them

i am aware that flesh is hard to do right, but c'mon. the CZ guerilla model looked worse than a model from far cry and this guy looks just the same. i hated the stupid leet krew from CZ too. what was valve smoking when they ok'ed that model from turtle rock??

I don't know about you, but personally, I've only seen one pic of the GIGN and the Guerilla, and it's way too low rez for me to make anything concrete out of it. In fact, the GIGN model is far enough away from the camera lens that he's in his second LOD, and the Guerilla may as well be in his third or fourth. Plus, we can't tell what the HDR tonemapping is like, currently. It's a static image.

Wait for some closeups or a render or two, because a far-off LoD-based in-game screencap isn't going to show you the same detail as far as shaders/animations/diffuse mapping or even 100% LoD polycount, as a render, or an up-close in-game still image.

And I hope that the CS:CZ model looked worse than a FarCry soldier... ...I mean, CS:CZ had some pretty good modelling/texturing work in it, but we're talking about the Quake 1 engine, here. It's been 10 years now, since the Quake 1 tech demo. Next year will be the 10th anniversary of Quake. I'd say that CS:CZ was a great way to milk the last life out of the engine, short of amature coding tech demos that add DooM 3 - style stencil shadows and normal mapping.

The Source Engine was designed to be totally modular. DoD: S was the first game to be HDR out of the box. VALVe rewrote the Source engine to incorporate it for the consumers. I've begged them nicely for full-featured normal mapping and parallax scrolling within those normals. ...when our cards can run those features at a decent framerate, at high res, while still using 5000+ poly models, I'm sure VALVe will incorporate them. In fact, the Lost Coast fisherman was constructed the same way as all DooM 3 characters were. Modelled at 200 000 polys and bumped down to engine-size, with the normals saved in the textures themselves. The only difference is that the Lost Coast fisherman had almost 7000 polys, whereas a DooM 3 character had less than 2000. Roughly the same amount as a Quake 3 model.

Edited by Norguard

so wait...i dont get it. are the new models gonna be forced like they are now, or are we gonna have to go through that same EXTREMELY frustrating thing that CZ has: 5 different models for each team? i hope that if they are going to change models, they'll at least force them. i'm excited for that nuke map though.

Ahh yes, the 1337 krew, i see it now. Its released and everyone complains about the littlest things becuase its the skin everyone is most looking forward too.

Yes, ephemeral, i'm sure thats exactly how it will be, 4 skins per team.