My new rig

Acid-Flux

Welp, the time has come for me to do a COMPLETE upgrade of my system, no more buying a new video card / cpu..

I just placed this order not 6 min ago:

1 SAMSUNG 204T-Black 20.1" 16ms LCD Monitor - Retail

1 NZXT Lexa Black/ Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500

1 AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core

2 OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR

1 ABIT AN8-ULTRA Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard 1 SAPPHIRE 100133 Radeon X1800 XL 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

1 Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard

1 Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro 70SB036000000 8 (7.1)

A Side note though, that monitor is actually for my father, but ive read good things on it, so if it tests out good i will end up buying one, unless you can sugest another good 19+" LCD (Try and keep it <$600)

Welp, the time has come for me to do a COMPLETE upgrade of my system, no more buying a new video card / cpu..

I just placed this order not 6 min ago:

1  SAMSUNG 204T-Black 20.1" 16ms LCD Monitor - Retail

1  NZXT Lexa Black/ Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500

1  AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core

2  OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR

1  ABIT AN8-ULTRA Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard            1  SAPPHIRE 100133 Radeon X1800 XL 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16   

1      Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard

1  Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro 70SB036000000 8 (7.1)

A Side note though, that monitor is actually for my father, but ive read good things on it, so if it tests out good i will end up buying one, unless you can sugest another good 19+" LCD (Try and keep it <$600)

nice but costs too much for that monitor. Personally I'm going to buy this one: but if I had more cash I'ld go with this one

(edited)
i don't think i'd have bought any of those parts if i was building a new rig but enjoy them anyway.  it's certainly better than what you have.

ouch

I'm so afraid of those LCDs that I wouldn't risk spending my money on them. I work in labs and look at them all day long and at night I see blurs.... :freak: Anyway, hope they make em better

X1800XL? why not XT I think it came out last night...oh wait it's $600...nm...saves you $200

I'd also go for an SLI mobo for upgrade later

Tell us how this works when you put it together

Edited by Vovik

few things, I was going to go for DFI mb, but they didnt have a SATA2. and I specifically didnt get a SLI MB because I dont think its worth it at all. Sound blaster I only got because there was a $100 MIR which made it cheaper than most other modles

And I got the 1800XL because, yea of the price and also I was happy with my x800pro that I bought a few months ago; thgought id just go ATI again.

I picked up this LCD monitor This puppy ROCKS!! under $600.00

no problem & trust me you won't be dissapointed. Check out the reviews for

it at Tiger direct. Gotta be a thousand of them..all good! I can play for hours

& no problem on the eyes. ++ 8ms response time!!! CSS looks totally awsome!

Can't say enough about it. Also I hope you got that X1800 XL crossfire ready

for future expansion right?

(edited)

uhhh all nf4 chipsets support sata2. my dfi nf4 ultra-d has 4 connectors.

sorry if my post was harsh but it's true. it's a lot of money to spend on a system and buy all the wrong parts. in my mind, none of them can be justified except maybe the hard drive... and maybe the ram. i woulda gone 2gigs almost for sure.

Edited by Cujo

Must be talking about different MB's

Originally I was goinbg to get the DFI LanParty UT RDX200 Cross-Fire AMD Motherboard which has:

Chipsets

North Bridge ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire

South Bridge ATI SB450

So unless im dumb and ATI took over NVida last night while I was sleeping, dem deeerrr dont lookie like dat der Nvidia chipset.

And as for "buying all the wrong parts", I dont mind taking a 10-15fps hit to save a few hundred $. Trust me, if I could afford "all the right parts" I would for surley do it.

you actually spent more than you had to is what i was implying by the wrong parts. your system is far from the best bang for the buck.

you didn't specify the ati chipset. you said dfi board. also, you bought an nf4 board... i'm confused.

btw, you are right that the dfi ati board doesn't support sata2. your drive doesn't even have ncq though. yea it has 3gbit/sec but it only has 8mb cache. same size maxtor with ncq and 16mb cache but only 1.5gbit is 25 bucks cdn cheaper. 3gbits makes less difference than ncq and the bigger cache.

(edited)
So unless im dumb and ATI took over NVida last night while I was sleeping, dem deeerrr dont lookie like dat der Nvidia chipset.

ROFL

in my mind, none of them can be justified except maybe the hard drive... and maybe the ram. i woulda gone 2gigs almost for sure.

what are ya talkin about dude a X2 4200+ can't be justified?!?! your crazy man, I have never used a dual core system, but I have used a dual processor. Its ridiculous what its capable of. DivX encoding, multi-tasking. It can handle anything your throw it all at once!!

I would have bought the 3800+ though, cuz I have nooo money.

Edited by NOFX

keep in my I could care less about your bang for you buck FPS wise. As long as Im not choppy for hte game of my choice, I dont need 48000 fps. And just because you have a better card, doesnt mean that your going to kill me first while Im burning a CD, encoding a divx movie and hosting a file server :)

what are ya talkin about dude a X2 4200+ can't be justified?!?!  your crazy man, I have never used a dual core system, but I have used a dual processor.  Its ridiculous what its capable of.  DivX encoding, multi-tasking.  It can handle anything your throw it all at once!!

I would have bought the 3800+ though, cuz I have nooo money.

I will be using it becuase I use Engineering programs like Catia, Pro Eng. , Solid Works.

Well you get the picture.

as for the price, well unforunatly I dont have my vendors permit anymore in Canada so I cant get them like I wanted to. And also, I get taxed out of the wazoo if I ship it across the border. And I figured by the time I mess around with buying parts from different places and get them shipped. I might as well get it from one place.

had to do this..

5 POSTS IN A ROWWW..

ahahah

*EDIT*

LOL I just read what I wrote to NoFX and well I had to delete it. LOL sorry, I missread what you typed. But my stance on talking to someone who knows what there talking about STILL STANDS/./

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahah

*cough**cough**cough**cough*

:11doh:

yes yes yes, we all have our prefences.

I would have kept my 9500 pro, dropped in a raid array with 10k drives, cutting the load time in half, and I would have gotten 2 gigs of RAM. but hey, what a waste of money, it can only pump out 70 fps!!!

Forget it dude, Im setting up a beowulf cluster, then your 4200 X2 aint got poop. :)

Forget it dude, Im setting up a beowulf cluster,  then your 4200 X2 aint got poop. :)

Nice, be sure to take many pictures of the setup / installation / sparks from the computer / destruction of house / death

well that last one I guess you cant do.

Man im being a real jerk today, sorry. Just one of those days I guess

i can't believe you went with the 4200+ MANCHESTER

all you got was .2 ghz extra over the 3800+ (which is what I have). You should've gone with the 4400+ TOLEDO, you then would've AT LEAST got the 2 x 1MB L2 cache. it's just not worth the extra $80 to get the 4200+.

Seems like a really nice upgrade though. that is one BIG VIDEO card you there. Have fun... New PCs are always a good time.

Edited by {.s.D.s.} R!c0

I want a new PC If I was going to upgrade right now here is what I would purchase

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail -$322

CHAINTECH VNF4/Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail -$73

Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM -$104x2 = $208

eVGA 256-P2-N386 Geforce 6800GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail -$209

GeIL Value Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model GE1GB3200BSC - Retail -$98 - couple that with 2x256 GeiL i have no, for 1.5 Gig.

total = $910 bucks

ouch.. i dont have 910 bucks