HD??

Magruter

nothin wrong with it but you can do better. look for something with ncq, 16mb cache and 3gb/sec. maxtors dm10 is pretty good. i can get it for 119cdn so surely it can be found for 100usd somewhere.

Is this a good deal??  I feel my hd is on it's last leg...  About 3 years old 80gb WD never had a problem with, but i don't want to chance it..    Any suggestions??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822144154

It's a good deal. I've bought all brands in the past and WD has done right by me. Just yesterday, I purchased a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB which should be here on Thursday. Only reasons I am giving Seagate a try is to compare noise and also the 5 year warranty. Even though I burn through most drives in 2 years because of all stress I put on them for work.

I've had 2 Seagates that have given me no trouble, and one that was never good. The length of the warranty is good, but as far as I'm concerned the actual service doesn't seem to be what it should be. I sat on the drive for a while (messing around to make sure the drive really was bad), and when I finally try to start the process to RMA it (using website only) it seems tough.

Part of their website refused to serve Firefox. Once I got an account set up, I discovered that the drive has to be shipped back in specific packaging, which Seagate does not even sell. They direct you to a third party, and that website's front page has errors on it. That website doesn't work correctly with Firefox, and then it ends up costing me $16 just to get packaging for one drive. That's as far as I've gotten so far, but to me this seems like a much bigger hassle than a simple RMA should be.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

That is a good deal Magruter. I prefer WD and basically only get them if I have a choice. I bought that same one couple of months ago for 130 bucks so the price has dropped.

• 4 weeks later...

I've never had any trouble with WDs and I'm running 5 of them right now in my comps. I have had to send back several Maxtors and Seagates for my firends though. I may have even sent back 1 WD before, but its a bit fuzzy to me. From my experience the WDs seem to hold up better. But I will admit that everybody has bad batch every now and then, it just seems that I have had less trouble with WD...<shrugs> Anyway, Mookie, every time I have RMAed a drive no matter who the manufacturer is I've had to deal with the same thing. After the second or third I started getting smart and keeping the packaging the new drive came in in case I have to send out another one for RMA in the future.

Parallel ATA (PATA) drives will be labeled usually ATA, ATA 100, ATA 133.

Serial ATA (SATA) drives will generally be labeled SATA.

SATA is faster than PATA, although not by a large amount. Before you buy a SATA you'll need to make sure your motherboard has a connecter for it. It's shaped like a "not" sign, basically a line that has a slight L shape at one end. Total connector width is only around 1/2" or so, so it might be tough to spot.

I'm hoping to use this drive for back up and music purposes only. I'll be running a 160 gig hitachi as my primary. I've used that as my back for the past year of so. I like the seagate's 60 month warrenty, I'm sure if that's stnd or not

It's a good deal.  I've bought all brands in the past and WD has done right by me.  Just yesterday, I purchased a  Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB which should be here on Thursday.  Only reasons I am giving Seagate a try is to compare noise and also the 5 year warranty.  Even though I burn through most drives in 2 years because of all stress I put on them for work.

Update: Really liking the Seagate. Great speed. Very quiet. Actually can't hear it at all over the 74G Raptor. It is my main data drive for work. So it is constantly reading/writing for about 8+ hours a day while I work on video & web projects. Probably gonna grab another 2 in the new year when I build new comp.