Zombie Exploit Problem: Regulars Please Read

To the zombie server regulars that visit this forum, you should know that an exploit became public knowledge over the weekend. Evidently, it's possible for a human zombie to type a console command and be able to hold and fire any type of gun (pistol, rifle, grenade, etc).

So this means that the T side would have a nearly invincible army of AK-47 wielding zombies, and it ruins the game. And this behavior will NOT be tolerated. If you see any player using this exploit, please get their Steam ID (by typing "Status" in the console) and posting it here. Also, it'd help if you could tell me what time you saw the exploit. The immediate solution is a permanent ban.

Here's what I'm thinking for a permanent solution:

1. User tries to do exploit

2. Server recognizes exploit, and instead automatically runs a different command to alter their config

3. User has a fun time fixing their config

Some examples of config changes:

1. bind Mouse1 to "exit"

2. unbindall (yes, we can do that)

3. bind every key to say "I tried to do the zombie gun exploit. Please ban me."

4. bind Mouse1 to "kill"

Anyone else have any good ideas for the "punishments" for using the zombie gun exploit? :)

To the zombie server regulars that visit this forum, you should know that an exploit became public knowledge over the weekend.  Evidently, it's possible for a human zombie to type a console command and be able to hold and fire any type of gun (pistol, rifle, grenade, etc).

So this means that the T side would have a nearly invincible army of AK-47 wielding zombies, and it ruins the game.  And this behavior will NOT be tolerated.  If you see any player using this exploit, please get their Steam ID (by typing "Status" in the console) and posting it here.  Also, it'd help if you could tell me what time you saw the exploit.  The immediate solution is a permanent ban.

Here's what I'm thinking for a permanent solution:

1. User tries to do exploit

2. Server recognizes exploit, and instead automatically runs a different command to alter their config

3. User has a fun time fixing their config

Some examples of config changes:

1. bind Mouse1 to "exit"

2. unbindall (yes, we can do that)

3. bind every key to say "I tried to do the zombie gun exploit.  Please ban me."

4. bind Mouse1 to "kill"

Anyone else have any good ideas for the "punishments" for using the zombie gun exploit?  :)

lol i like those ideas. they sound very fun to watch...

I hope some people are dumb enough to try the exploit! :)

Some other ideas I was kicking around:

1. Bind mouse1 to say "Bang bang!" and spacebar to say "Boing!"

2. Reverse W and S, A and D keys

3. Lower mouse sensitivity to 1 or raise it as high as it can go

4. Change the max_framerate to 1

5. Change the bandwidth to a 33.6 modem

Not sure how subtle and/or funny these should be, but how about:

bind ` exit //not sure if it's possible to rebind this key

bind r exit

You can bet that these two buttons will be pressed at some point, and it might take a while to figure out too!

I think the bind "exit" trick is my favorite, because they'd think they crashed their game by trying the command.

It'll take me a bit to figure out if this is the best option, though. I'm going to use my machine as the guinea pig to see if I can re-write the exploit command without damaging gameplay for everyone else.

I hope some people are dumb enough to try the exploit!  :)

Some other ideas I was kicking around:

1. Bind mouse1 to say "Bang bang!" and spacebar to say "Boing!"

2. Reverse W and S, A and D keys

3. Lower mouse sensitivity to 1 or raise it as high as it can go

4. Change the max_framerate to 1

5. Change the bandwidth to a 33.6 modem

All the ideas were good, but I really really liked #1 here and #4. Try hitting me at 1 FPS! Of course, some people can...Maybe do both!

Knife knife knife! I'm coming to knife!

I checked the Zombie Horde forums, and they are aware of it and actively working on a solution.

I may just rely on bans (from myself and tips from regulars) for now. But hey, nothing wrong with messing with an exploiter, right? :)

• 1 month later...