Going to College

Assassinator

Hey guys, I'm not exactly sure if you want to know, but I am elated, and feel like telling the world. Anyway, here is the beginning of the letter I got from SDSU today.

"Dear Michael,

Congratulations! You have been admitted to San Diego State University for the fall 2006 semester. Your hard work in high school places you in top eight percent of our freshmen applicant pool, and we are pleased to notify you of your admission status earlier than most admitted applicants."

So, it looks like I am going to college! I have also applied for the Navy ROTC scholarship, in which my application is being reviewed right now, hopefully I will get that, too!!

Congrats man...I remember dreading whether or not I would get into McGill...I pretty much had to get all my marks in my final year of hs since I'd been such a slacker the rest of the time...I found out in late May tho, count your blessings!

congrats! the only advice i have is GO TO CLASS. if u do nothing else, just do that. you dont have to study or read the book or even buy the books. just go to class.

See...someone told me just read all the books, you don't have to go to class or anything, just read everything...well if I could find that person I'd kick them in the teeth...GO TO CLASS!

Good luck man. I just graduated from U Mich in May, and am missing college life and all the hedonism and good times that it entailed. My advice isn't go to class (even tho it's really, REALLY hard some days.. u have no idea just yet lol) but have an awesome time, make lots of friends, and get stupid wasted every possible chance.

congrats! the only advice i have is GO TO CLASS. if u do nothing else, just do that. you dont have to study or read the book or even buy the books. just go to class.

Amen. I never cracked my books for half the courses I took, heck, at the end I even got cocky and stopped buying books until I knew I needed them. If I had assigned problems from the books, the library and photocopier were my best friends.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend this, but in my experience even in some of the upper-level math I took the book was nothing compared to the class. I have friends at Georgia Tech in engineering who say the same thing. The bottom line is the teacher is always right. Books are great reference materials, but your grade is based on how well your professor thinks you know the material he or she presented, so keep that in mind.

Also very important: Find out your note-taking style and FOLLOW IT TO A "T". I write everything down in class, it helps me remember, so if you are like me write down EVERYTHING the teacher says, even jokes...Hey, remembering punchlines helped me recall several test answers in several different classes. Don't just show up, pay close attention, ask questions, and go to office hours and you'll have a fun time.

well, when i went to college, i had every intention of going to class, but it's hard to imagine how much freedom you get there. when there is no one telling you to get up, to study, to be responsible, and other general parenting/schooling things, college can get outta hand. im saying even when u feel like crap from a long night of partying, even when u think u might be sick, when the weather is crappy (prolly not so much in sd), when your friends want you to go out......GO TO CLASS INSTEAD. no matter what.

Yeah i've already started to notice some of that with my AP classes. Because the teachers don't remind you daily about project due dates and don't require you to submit those crappy "progress" check things for works (like rough drafts) you really have to get on yourself about doing the work.

• 2 months later...

*** UPDATE ***

I've recently found out that I have been accept for the the Navy ROTC scholarship!!! This is a $150,000 scholarship paid by the Navy. Of course this means I have to give them four years (actually 8 years, 4 must be active duty and 4 can be inactive duty) of my life...but for a free ride in college it's well worth it!!!

CONGRATZ... college is still evil.

It can't be any more evil than high school.

Speaking of taxpayers' money... I just read in the Union Tribune here in San Diego that a "Retirement Board" voted for taxpayers to pay the legal expenses of the two board members who were accused of grand larcency and whatnot. Ridiculous.