Weekend Project

Bubblegum Bandit

So, my old desk was just way too small. Had no room to put my blueprints down while I was working at home. Plus, it was just too cluttered. My goal over my 4-day holiday weekend was to get the garage and basment cleaned up and build myself a new desk. I must stress that the goal was to get the most functional desk for the least amount of money. So, its made out of 1/2" MDF and 1x3s.

So here's my old desk. When I built it I was still sitting in one of the chairs from the dinner table. My in-laws got me my comp chair a year or so ago and it wouldn't even slide under the desk. As you can see its rather cluttered and doesn't have much room for anything else.

before1.jpg

before2.jpg

before3.jpg

Anyway, so I sat down with AutoCAD and designed myself a new desk. I over estimated the size of my monitors and printers by just a tad I guess. Funny thing about working in CAD. It can be difficult to actually get a feel for the actual size of what you are drawing. So here's the gargantuan desk I ended up building. I must say, yes its huge, but man its nice. It still looks cluttered because I'm still in the process of getting everything in its place.

after2.jpg

after1.jpg

Sweet! Much more table space now. What version / package of CAD do you use, and which ones are good now? I have the ability to pick up some real cheap with a student discount, and I can still stretch the definition of student at my University enough to do so. This reminded me that I should really get a move on cheap software while I can.

(edited)
Um, its in my basement so that is actually insulation, not padding.

Rashad, I have a TV capture card in my main comp.  Makes running dual monitors nice, TV on one, CS on the other!!

Oh, and thanks for the props.

I have a capture card also and a 9500 pro with dual monitor outputs. the TV screen goes black when I turn on CS.. boooo

btw the new desk looks alot nice. I really wish I had that much space. I have been stuck with this small desk for like 3 years. I need soemthing like that. I dont even have a place to put my printer

Edited by NOFX