Want to buy a sound card

simkiller

I'm thinking of buying a sound card for my computer. Currently I have onboard sound and I'm thinking that maybe it is causing some issues with CSS. So, any of you guys out ther know of any good deals/good sound cards that I should look into? I have no idea what to buy so any input is great. My budget would probably be around 200 or so. Thx in advance.

I went through the same quest for a new soundcard a few weeks ago...

Discussion/Selection:

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...showtopic=22604

Brief Synopsis: lots of good sound cards out there, but the Soundblaster XFI Series is on top. I went with the Soundblaster X-fi Xtreme Music sound card @ $110.

Review:

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...showtopic=22819

Brief Synopsis: Couldn't tell a difference at first, but then a whole new world of sound opened up.

(edited)

the platinum (which i have) comes with the front bay for more input/outputs and also a remote and some media center software. if you're only using analogue sound just stick with the xtreme music version. xfi is definately the only card to consider right now though.

Edited by Cujo

does your headphones have built in card ?

No I have an old set of KOSS headphones. Thats my next problem. I need a new set of headphones. I would also like to know what set you guys recommend for this sound card I'm going to buy. [i will be purchasing the platinum card] Here's where the problem comes in though. I get headaches from wearing most headphones. That's why I've stuck with current set I have for so long. These KOSS headphones I have, have really big earcups which fully engulf my big ears. Plus they have a soft squishy fabric like earcup which makes the tension on the sides of my head almost nill. So I really need a kickass headset with really giant earcups and a soft outer lining. Anyone have any suggestions? Price for the right headset is no object. I'm willing to pay whatever for comfort.

I've been really happy with Seinhesser 155's. Great sound quality, wide flat top, and a generous amount of foam by the ears. They stay snug but allow for hours of gaming.

Usually after about 4 hours, I'll take the headphones off for about 15-30 seconds and I'm good for another 4 hours. Maybe give them a shot...

BTW, here's an example of my pickiness. I bought these http://www.xoxide.com/audiofx-force-feedback-headset.html plus a few logitech ones and a few others in the past hoping they would work and they all hurt and gave me a headache. So I've returned them all.

I've been loyal to the plantronics .90's. Very comfortable, awesome sound for 20 bucks. I dont care about the high end usb crap either.

when my second pair died (I'm rough on them), I bought soem logitech's from BestBuy. They were unadjustable and they wouldn't even fit on my head. So im sticking with what I know best :spin2:

Sim, if all else fails, go with a set of studio monitors - headsets designed and tuned for flat response, for music mastering.

http://www.shurestore.com/earphones/eserie...c.html#overview

They're earbuds, but you can use foam or gel. With the set of soft rubber earsleeves, they are so easy to forget about. The cable is also memory retentive. Once you get them in, and you get the cable sitting the way you want it (behind your ears, and not down your neck, hanging off your chest), it holds its shape.

The E5cs are $500, but they're very, very serious about their sound reproduction. ...there are cheaper sets in the E series, from about $100 and up... ...that's just the cream of the current crop.

The E500 series has just been released, with one tweeter and two woofers in each ear. Ooooooh, do they look good on paper... ...might not be worth more to me than my current videocard, but they'd be a happy addition, anyway.

If you're staunch on outer-ear headsets, make sure you get one with a floating headband - something like what M2 posted up. If it's just one band that goes around your head, it puts too much pressure on you. The extra brace, above the headband on professional-quality headsets ensures that the weight is distributed relatively evenly. Some work better than others... ...and price is still a pretty good indicator. It's a relatively new concept to the gaming world (most of whom are content with low-end, budget equipment, compared to the vast majority of picky recording technicians).

So if you can't find it in the wide world of gaming, you've got the wide, wide world of music to look to.

Edited by Norguard

I may just end up doing that nor. I don't need a mic attached and if it means more comfort I would much rather go with the studio headsets. Know of any good stores that I may have in my area where I could have a good selection to choose from?

Apparently, there's a music store in Ft. Wayne called Sweetwater Sound, Inc.

They deal in sales. I really can't attest to what they're like. The music chains I usually deal with, and most people I know deal with are Canadian-founded. Steve's Music and Long & McQuade are the two that I usually frequent. Steve's looks like a warehouse, but the prices are good, and people really know what they're talking about, and want to see you get what you need.

...Long & McQuade is a larger franchise, and looks nice, but the clerks are all hiding, and there's no such thing as a deal. Everything is sticker price, and you can expect to get no extras.

Good music stores are like dealerships. Bad ones are like Wal-Mart... ...go into Sweetwater, have a look around, and ask about headphones. You won't need the best of the best - if the store even has them, you may find headsets/headphones for $1000 or more, but the $35 ones probably won't feel much better than you're used to.

The address is 5335 Bass Road, and they're open 9-9 M-T, 9-8 F and 9- 7 Sat.

Edited by Norguard