Switching From Intel To AMD

strangefamous

Every couple of years I switch brands, just to keep from being a fanboi. It's about that time again this year.

Currently I have a P4 2.8ghz that I'm looking to swap out with something from AMD that's gonna be a little jumpier. I don't want a 64bit processor. I haven't really kept up on AMD news in the last couple of years.

I want to put this in a micro atx board, anything other than a VIA chipset. I currently only use MSI board but most of the Micro ATX boards for AMD are using VIA chipsets.

Anyone recommend a Processor and a Micro ATX board, that has Sata and PCI-E.

Strange, I believe you picked up the X1800 XT did you not? If so

then I would think you would want to get a mobo that would allow

for crossfire upgrade in the future?

DFI

Asus

MSI

Toms Hardware guide on those three mobo's

Also this will help you to determine CPU;

2005/2006 CPU charts

Hope that helps.

*EDIT* I'm pretty sure the mobo that you are displaying is

not crossfire ready. I just felt for an extra $25.00- $100.00

you can leave this option open for later use.

*EDIT # 2* I don't think any of those mobo's are micro ATX compatible.

Maybe the MSI one?

Edited by wayfarer

Thanks guys, If guess I could get a 64 bit processor, but with an x1800xt do I really need crossfire? I mean the card seriously whoops butt already.

I like the board I posted because it can hold up to 4gb's of ram. But I'm still pretty much stumped on the processor.

If i get a 64 bit do i have to run 64 bit windows? I hear a lot of bad things about it.

Thanks guys, If guess I could get a 64 bit processor, but with an x1800xt do I really need crossfire? I mean the card seriously whoops butt already.

I like the board I posted because it can hold up to 4gb's of ram. But I'm still pretty much stumped on the processor.

If i get a 64 bit do i have to run 64 bit windows? I hear a lot of bad things about it.

no you dont have to run anything in 64 bit. All of their processors are 64 bit now, there is no reason why you shouldn't get a 64 bit CPU. the new pentiums have the 64 bit extension but they dont call them Pentium 64's. So either way you go, your going to get a 64 bit processor.

AMD 3700+, best bang for your buck. It has 1 meg of cache and runs around 2.2ghz I think. Get that and a micro ATX case that has an Nforce4 Chipset. You can't go wrong. And me personally would not get a motherboard to support crossfire, because I would never put crossfire in. by the time, your graphics run choppy, you will be 3 generations behind and why would you want to run 2 Old video cards?

how are they more expensive? last i checked (i work in a computer store) they're still cheaper. only the dual cores are expensive but they're still priced accordingly i think. the lowest dual core is priced between the 3 and 3.2 intel which is right where it performs.

I was going to upgrade but then i had to get new brakes on my car so i wanted to upgrade after christmas but then every single Athlon XP doubled in price, and now newegg doesnt even sell Athlon XP's. So im stuck, i have to buy a used XP,

Please check my other post and let me know if you know anybody that will sell a AMD Athlon XP

not til amd's next socket (am2 due out in Q2) will they support ddr2. what ram is used isn't important. it's how the cpu uses it. amd is far superior to intel in that regard negating the need to move to ddr2. they are only really doing it out of market pressure and to raise the fsb higher.

Strange, you probably want to look at something like a 3500+ 64 bit (socket 939) or higher as NOFX suggested.

I've got a year and 1/3 old:

AMD 3200+ 64 bit (socket 754)

Gigabyte GA-k8ns-pro

eVGA.com nVidia GF 6800gt

2x 512 Corsair DDR400

etc...

Great system, but if I were to build now I'd get at least a 3500+ in the 939, you get dual memory channels (correct me if I'm wrong) and better performance.

well i just upgraded my video card from a burnt out ati to 7800 GT and i was thinking about switching back to amd 64 bit fx proc. but if i cant use the memory i already have which is ddr2 it just seems like i should wait for the new proc to come out so i only have to buy a mobo and proc instead of mobo, proc, and mem