9500 pro

1gig RAM

Abit IS7 845PE chipset

to

A64 3200+

x850 pro

1 gig RAM

AsRock Motherboard

All I have to say is, what a waste! My FPS basically has not changed, maybe just maaaybe under heavy firefights, I have notice marginal improvements, but nothing I can see, I can just feel the computer not stuttered a little. I also have to run with shaders on low, reflect simple, and textures on medium. Well since this tinklees me off, I am sending the motherboard back, getting an Nforce4 and a 7800GT. Like my original plan. Just words of advice to all those who are upgrading. If your going to upgrade, then UPGRADE dont try to half donkey it like me. Oh yea this AsRock motherboard just looooves my RAM, it runs at DDR266 no matter what. I finally manually changed the timings and got it to display it was running DDR400, but after doing some benchmarks a P4 running PC800 RDRAM has more bandwith. gg

I warned you about the ASRock boards.

true that, I don't know what i was thikning man....uli used to be ali... Well id say about 4 years ago, I owned an ALI board with a 1800+. It was horrible. I really didnt know much about chipset performance, but I swapped it for a Nforce2 board and the benches were somewhere areound 50% better.

The review I read said it overclocked well, i guess those were from noobs. I think the video card its OK, but if you stick it in a crappy motherboard, then it really doesnt do any good either.

(edited)

My 6800GT runs fine as far as I know. The RAM thing was always messed up. With mine, you only have the three default speed options to choose from and the timings don't make a bit of difference. As for overclocking, I got my A64 3500+ NewCastle up to 2.5Ghz on stock. Any farther and the comp wouldn't boot. The x850 is great, especially if all the pipelines are unlocked. And you doing a real upgrade ya do it the way I'm doing it. Get some cash built up, sell the old system, and get a bunch of top of the line stuff.

Current:

Aspire X-Dreamer Mid-Tower

ASRock K8-Combo-Z (ugghh...)

Athlon 64 3500 Newcastle @2.5Ghz

1GB DDR533 @ 200Mhz

BFG 6800GT OC w/ NV5

WD 80GB HD

TDK Indi 420N DVD-R/RW Burner

Ultra-X Connect 500W

Upgrading to:

Lian-Li PC-75B Full-Tower

DFI LanParty UT RDX200

Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo

2GB Mushkin Redline XP4000

2x ATI Radeon x1800xt 512MB in CrossFire

2x WD Raptor X 150GB

Plextor PX-740A/SW-BL

OCZ 600W PSU

Creative SB X-Fi Platinum

Edited by Kruten

nofx, you're doin something wrong if your fps didn't change.  i'd take that new combo any day over your old one.  even running at ddr266 you should see a difference.

I can't think of anything possible that was wrong.

P4 + x850 pro = 112fps

3200+ = x850 pro = 120 fps

All settings were the same, like I said, I did notice a small imporvement when there is alot of action. But nowhere near 450 dollars worth of improvement. I think I would now only drop into the lower 40's.

You purchased a horrible motherboard and the X850XT was a bad choice. You should of gone with a DFI or ASUS board and a 7800GT.

No SM3.0 + no SLI + ATI = teh suck

Well, if you were reading my whole story you would have seen what happend, I orignally had a MSI, 3200+ and 7800GT on the way, had problems with shipping, so I canceled. I then bought a x850pro AGP, thinking I would see a good improvement, which I didnt. I then bought that motherboard and cpu. So I pretty much forced

myself to not do the most practical upgrade. Anywho, I have the Neo4 and a 7800GT arriving in the morning. And as long as I sell my old CPU and motherboard for 100 bucks. the cost of

AsRock, 3200+, 850 pro is the same as

MSI, 3200+, 7800GT

potato, back up your comments plz.

nofx, your stress test results are fine. that is a significant improvement and about what i'd expect. ocing my cpu made no real difference in stress test as it's mostly video card limited.

nofx, and everyone, it's not about stress test. that is a poor indicator of in game performance. run fraps for an entire map on the same server and check your min/avg values. that's the best way to test for source. oh and do it on aztec/dust/dust2 rather than an easy map like cbble.

I just upgraded my vid card from a 9200 128mb to a 9800Pro 256mb

System specs are

AMD 64 3500+

1 gig of ram

Asus K8T800Pro

I used to get 50-80 fps on 800x600 with most settings on high, my hope was to get to use 1280x1040 with the new card but that didn't happen...

Then I went searching the Steam forums and found a post about this which directed me to the Omega drivers and updating my Mobo drivers (VIA)...still was only getting 30-60 fps at 1024x768...then Cobalt told me to just put it up to the LCD resolution (1280x1040) and now all of a sudden I get 60-100 fps

Your problem sounds slightly similar...I'm sure cujo has something to say about the Omega drivers and whether they made the difference for me...but you really should be getting better results from that system unless it really is the mobo to blame...

So I go from

p4 2.6Ghz@3.0Ghz

9500 pro

1gig RAM

Abit IS7 845PE chipset 

to

A64 3200+

x850 pro

1 gig RAM

AsRock Motherboard

All I have to say is, what a waste!  My FPS basically has not changed, maybe just maaaybe under heavy firefights, I have notice marginal improvements, but nothing I can see, I can just feel the computer not stuttered a little.  I also have to run with shaders on low, reflect simple, and textures on medium.  Well since this tinklees me off, I am sending the motherboard back, getting an Nforce4 and a 7800GT.  Like my original plan.  Just words of advice to all those who are upgrading.  If your going to upgrade, then UPGRADE dont try to half donkey it like me.  Oh yea this AsRock motherboard just looooves my RAM, it runs at DDR266 no matter what.  I finally manually changed the timings and got it to display it was running DDR400, but after doing some benchmarks a P4 running PC800 RDRAM has more bandwith.  gg

Yea Id go with a different mobo. Can you return the ASrock mobo? Try this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...&ATT=13-136-162

I didn't know the story on that (not sure how I was supposed to know either), thats why I sounded so harsh. I thought it was the standard "I bought cheap parts and now my computer sucks, wahh wahh" thread.

Erm good luck with the rest of your purchasing.

? ummm...

i don't disagree with your first comments though he had an x850pro not xt.

i was just asking you to back up your little formula. sli and sm3.0 are not god and i'm curious what you have against ati.

I would say you are doing the right thing by sending back the mobo

my next box will be

asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe

2 x 7800GTX SLI Config

Antec Truepower II TPII-550

Corsair XMS 2 GB PC3500

AMD 4400+ x2 proc OCed to 4800+ speeds

all of this in a Tsunami case.

ok, I have to say, Now that I have

3200+

7800GT

with the MSI Neo4 motherboard. It was a great upgrade. It made a HUUUUGE difference in the last system. I dont think it likes my RAM to well, but i still need to tweak it.