Profanity

Guest [DOH]TaPe

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests

Something I've never understood - why do people use profanity? Why do people cuss? It baffles me! I just don't undestand :blink:o0o:( Please inform me if you know...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well tapey you're in luck! I know why people swear. The people who swear are usually too ignorant to express their emotions in more articulate ways, so they resort to 4 letter "Buzzwords" that they think very precisely sum up ANY emotion. I mean look at the "f" word... that is used frequently as a noun, verb, adjective, AND interjection! I mean make up your minds already you foul mouthed people you!

Anyone who resorts to frequent swearing needs more education on the aesthetics and art of communication through words, to learn that there are better ways to let people know whats on your mind.

Example: Dum_N00B friendly fires his entire team. Two possible response...

!@$*& You you )(&$!ing )#($&!!!!! :angry:

The response from DUM_N00B: :angry: NO @#*$ YOU YOU'RE THE @(*@# !$(&er!!!

The other possible response:

"Wow, I find it depressing and unfortunate that you are so depraved and ignorant that the only possible way for you to make yourself feel better inside is to run around trying to make other people's lives unpleasant. You're like a tapeworm in the intestinal tracts of society. Think about that. :ph34r:

And, Dum_N00Bs response: :blink:o0o:unsure:

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests

Yeah I kinda agree... but... I know plenty of very intelligent people who still swear - most people swear period. Is it just to rebel? Is it because so many other people do it? Is it just to express certain feelings? Is it habit? I just don't understand.

Some people don't even notice themselves, and nobody speaks up.

Played summer softball with a guy who came in, and this guy dropped the F-Bomb in just about every sentence. Early in the season, I had my daughter with me, and he let it fly, and I asked him to be more careful (politely) when my daughter was in earshot.

After the season was over, he pulled me aside and thanked me for having the balls to speak up, and that he's been more aware since that day. He didn't want to sound like a sailor.

Swearing? It's a lack of self-control.

Matthew 15:1:1 "Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man."

Click here to read the whole commentary on profanity at Bible.com

Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guests

(*still laughing about 'Ronald?'*)

Ahem. My girlfriend is a very, VERY religious girl. Right now she's out in Illinois for school while I'm stuck here in New Hampshire, and most of our conversations occur over the phone.

Now, to show you the contrast in our upbringings: I come from central New York. LOTS of trailer parks and cows. Redneck city. The family gatherings of my youth involved many ornery, drunken men cussing til the cows came home. Its not my fault that I swear, it was programmed into my brain by my elders (who then turned to me and told me 'Don't you ever swear!' <_< )

But Kristin was the first person to ever actually yell at me about my swearing habit. And it wasn't til then that I realized how much I actually do swear. Like, every few words or so. I don't think I've heard her swear more than a dozen times in the three and a half years we've known each other. It really put things into perspective.

Profanity is something you are taught. If you swear alot around your kids, they're going to pick it up. (Cause when you're a little kid, there's no one you'd rather be than your parents). But, as usual, many parents are trying to push it off on the media, the scapegoat of America. But I can clearly point out the origin of my swearing habit as being my father and uncles.

Swearing is never going to be something that goes away. It's always going to be around because once a kid hears it, they wanna use it. Monkey see, monkey do, I guess. Although we may never get used to it, its really just something we've got to accept. I don't swear nearly as much since I started going out with Kristin, but there are some cases where you just gotta drop the F-Bomb (like when you drop something REALLY heavy on your foot.)

Thats my piece. Back to bed for me....

UberNewb

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests
Its not my fault that I swear, it was programmed into my brain by my elders (who then turned to me and told me 'Don't you ever swear!'  <_<

I don't swear nearly as much since I started going out with Kristin, but there are some cases where you just gotta drop the F-Bomb (like when you drop something REALLY heavy on your foot.)

I can understand what you mean, that it's "not your fault" ... but I don't believe it. Sure, it may have been programmed into you by everybody around you cussing, and when you're a kid, you haven't learned that it's 'bad' or shunned. But... you're not a kid anymore are you? Do you not have morals built up yet? How can you not take responsibility for still doing it? It's just become a bad habit that probably should be cut. I don't know if you speak that way to your parents because some families do, but do you speak that way to teachers in school or other authority figures? You don't in front of your girlfriend I hope. If you ever feel obligated not to do something around an authoriy figure, odds are it isn't something you should be doing period.

I don't think that there are times that you should cuss. Is there a reason to just because you're mad? What special meaning does it have? Please inform me if it has one other than showing a lack of self control and thought. There are times for a lot of things - but what does cussing accomplish? It's used to show a very strong emotion maybe? Why can't you use other words to express how very angry or happy or whatever you are feeling?

They explained this is star trek IV (kirk to spok)

Kirk tells the emotionless Vulcan that profanities are no more than colorful adjectives, which, in a sense, is what they are. We just relate then to disturbing things so it spoils the fun of them..In real life i use profanity extremely rarely but several of my friends use it to the hilarity of all because they use them as what they are....colorful adjectives.

But really, if its not used for comic relief i really dont understand why people use it. Ive gone through my life using profanity only rarely..and ive come out pretty well.....or so my parents tell me.

Yeha im bored so if you want to you can completely ignore anything i jsut said.

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests

You can count how many times I've said a cuss word in my life on one hand. I'd like to think I turned out ok :unsure::huh::blink:8P)

Colorful adjectives, eh? Well get creative and stop using the same ones people :P And why do you have to pick the taboo ones? Why not socially accepted ones? Possibly ones that might be useful in showing your intelligence :rolleyes:

Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guests

Sorry I haven't responded, Tape, but I was being treated for the wounds I recieved from your post... ;)

Anyway, the way I see it is this: the reason that profane words are as controvercial as they are is because people who are against them make them that way. But when you boil it all down, they are just words. I realize that they are just words, so they don't really bother me. Maybe that makes me a terrible human being, but so be it.

As for your choice of words being a direct correlation to your intelligence, well I think thats a definate misconception. Just because I swear doesn't mean I'm any less intelligent than the guy who doesn't. It just means that that is the way I choose to express myself given the situation. I genuinely think that you guys have valid opinions, but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't cuss out the next guy who cuts me off on the highway or drops a band-aid on my whopper. I guess I'm just responding to my primal instincts.

I'm at the point now where I wish I had never opened my mouth on this subject, because I'm really passionate about First Amendment/Censorship issues. So this is gonna be my last post in this section. Feel free to respond to the public in general, but any posts directed at me personally probably won't be seen by me. Its nothing personal, I just don't want to get worked up about this....

Uber

PS I am now a nugget. Ph34r....

As for your choice of words being a direct correlation to your intelligence, well I think thats a definate misconception.  Just because I swear doesn't mean I'm any less intelligent than the guy who doesn't

Actually, it might be more of an indicator than we think. The fact is, by your post, you're showing that you just don't understand the whole topic. If I said some choice words to your mother, then looked at you and said, hey, it's just words, pal...how would you react. If you weren't infuriated, then you've got no respect for her.

You probably think drugs should be legalized too, right? Hey it's your body.

Should we be allowed to manufacture bombs too? Free country, right?

The big question was this: Is it necessary to use profanity to communicate? The answer is obviously no, which means you are making a conscious decision to cuss every time you do.

There's gotta be a place where you would hold your tongue (if not, you've got big problems). How about church? Maybe you attend, but my guess is you don't. Maybe on Christmas? How about a wedding. Ok, during that wedding, you trip and fall right in front of everyone. You going to be dropping the F-Bomb? No, you'll exercise some control in that extreme situation.

Now when you go on down the line of settings, you very quickly come to the atmosphere where you let the words fly. So there is a line somewhere, albeit very far up towards the right. Thus, you choose.

Now, if you're going to go back to the "programmed automatic" argument, then you're just saying that you don't have control over yourself, which may be more evidence of the indicator we spoke of above.

Some people find vulgar language offensive. I live therefore I endure vulgar language. It bothers me but most of the time I let is slide. Now some people change their conversation from crowd to crowd. If they think someone there would be offended they refrain. I appreciate that. Others either assume no one will be offended or just dont care. I dont appreciate that. To speak vulgarities in public is a sign of lack of respect. But the blame is not totally on the offender. Most people never say anything so people come to the conclusion that it is acceptable behaviour. (GJ Fat)

But the topic is geared more for why people use foul language. So far environmental conditioning has been mentioned. Monkey see monkey do. It is probably the truth. Others acquire it through peer pressure or for social acceptance.

I hope profanities will always bother me. I hope my kids will learn to communicate strong feelings without resorting to them.

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests
TaPe,Sep 4 2002, 03:20 PM]I know plenty of very intelligent people who still swear - most people swear period.

I never said it showed a lack of intelligence...

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests

I agree with you on a lot of that Fat, and you as well Rev. Thing is though, I'm looking for why people do cuss - so you people out there that cuss, come out and show yourselves!! :P I do appreciate the back-up on this though. Everybody come! Speak about these obscene words! :D

Read most of the posts here and i just want to say that "learning" to use profanity is like learning Any sort of life experience.. Your Parents, relatives, friends, everyone you came into contact with were your teachers. Those with the earliest and most powerful ties obviously had the most influence... If you curse, ask yourself if your parents did or their attitude twords it was.. Alot of those that don't, their parents probably didn't either.. If noone ever taught you to tie a shoe, how long do you think it'd take to figure it out? We are all just students taking our big wide world in a day at a time... Isn't it grand?! Wat does this have to do with religion? Wasn't this a topic in old forums? *cries all is lost! :( Oh and I cuss because there are very good explitave words when I'm trying to get a point across And I'm about 1 step away from cro-magnon.. It really depends on who I am talking to and the context of conversation..

Sazzfrazzin razzer frazzin sisk boom bah, adambomb, adambomb, rah rah rah

LOL, TaPe is prolly talkin about me, if he considers me intellegent.

i am a christian, and i tend to swear once i awhile. mainly just the d-word :o but i really have a pproblem when people go off just swearin when they cant present an arguement or express thamselves. usually i say it as what it is, an expletive for when somethin happens. its just like. AH!, or WOW, or GASP, its just a thing with me i guess. i also was not raised in a christian home, my parents became belivers when i was in kindergarten or so, and then i got taken to church first in elementary school (im a senior in HS right now) and id say ive been a christian since i was about 11-12. i was baptized a few ears back. dates arent important to me obviously, lol :lol:

i know i have a problem with saying it, and i have controlled myself. i used to drop the f-bomb regularly, but i have stopped. only when im extremely/ angry, which happens once a year, do i use it.

so anyways, thats my personal story. i thikn people who say nothing but cusswords are ignorant, and have no other way to express themselves. people who use them too much are driven by others and want to look 'cool' or whatever in front of others. TaPe is just better than all of us <_<

TaPe,Sep 6 2002, 06:47 PM]I'm looking for why people do cuss -

I cuss when I hurt myself. Sometimes when I'm very frustrated but it's gotta be pretty frustrated.

Why? Donno...maybe cause I evolved from monkeys and they fling poo. That would be very rude.

Guest GotEviL?
Guest GotEviL?
Guest GotEviL?
Guests

people use abusive language to quickly express frustration, pain. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. Its just words, that evolved into vulgar expressions and were marked as "cusswords". Unless you use 4 letter words in every sentence you are ok, since they substitute most of your vocabulary.

I dont see how people get buffled or offended by it, its plainly stupid. if you dont like someone cussing hmm..... i think you might need to read psycology book on how to react to other people. Be nice and simply ignore the words of people using it.

Most low-educated and purely ignorent people unwilling to succeed or working and living in primitive environment are like this, so just give them a break, let them live how they want, dont get "baffled" with someone's words.

As for your choice of words being a direct correlation to your intelligence, well I think thats a definate misconception.  Just because I swear doesn't mean I'm any less intelligent than the guy who doesn't

Actually, it might be more of an indicator than we think. The fact is, by your post, you're showing that you just don't understand the whole topic. If I said some choice words to your mother, then looked at you and said, hey, it's just words, pal...how would you react. If you weren't infuriated, then you've got no respect for her.

You probably think drugs should be legalized too, right? Hey it's your body.

Should we be allowed to manufacture bombs too? Free country, right?

The big question was this: Is it necessary to use profanity to communicate? The answer is obviously no, which means you are making a conscious decision to cuss every time you do.

There's gotta be a place where you would hold your tongue (if not, you've got big problems). How about church? Maybe you attend, but my guess is you don't. Maybe on Christmas? How about a wedding. Ok, during that wedding, you trip and fall right in front of everyone. You going to be dropping the F-Bomb? No, you'll exercise some control in that extreme situation.

Now when you go on down the line of settings, you very quickly come to the atmosphere where you let the words fly. So there is a line somewhere, albeit very far up towards the right. Thus, you choose.

Now, if you're going to go back to the "programmed automatic" argument, then you're just saying that you don't have control over yourself, which may be more evidence of the indicator we spoke of above.

Thought Fatty's words of wisdom were a good response to Evil's post. And just think for a minute... I raise my post count by just repeating what Fatty said B)

Im doing my dangdest to keep up with him but...

I think I'll give my little take on swearing and foul language. Paul clearly states that everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Elsewhere in the Bible, Ephesians 5 I believe, it condemns idle talk, and perverse mouths. Ultimately, I believe that the only truly condemned words were those straightforwardly disgracing the Lord. Such things as using His name in vain and the like. Another passage in the New Testament (I forget where at the moment) says that we should not stumble our brethren. It says that something may not be a sin to you, but it is to your brother. Therefore, if you, by doing this thing, are causing your brother to stumble, you are sinning. When it comes down to it, I think that swearing isn't the issue, it's the consideration of others and (like stated before) a problem with respect. Maybe the Lord hasn't set it in my brother's heart that swearing is wrong, and therefore when I "drop a bomb," it won't be a problem with him. I think that it is all about convictions. Unfortunately, society in general has exaggerated the harshness of swearing so much so that it has become a shield for sins that now go unnoticed. Our nation is quick to correct someone who swears, but they won't stand up for what is right when someone chooses to kill the child God has given them while it's still in their womb. It's all about where we're looking, and where we should be. That's my longwinded take on things, and I would be happy to look up some of these references should anyone like to check.

Guest GotEviL?
Guest GotEviL?
Guest GotEviL?
Guests

what? this makes no sence, i'm sorry but language is just language has nothing to do with self-control. IF you choose to say the "f" word when you get hurt or you mess up reeaaaal bad i dont see nothing wrong with it.

i think you need to read what i posted again since i said its not bad if its used sometimes, but not excessivly since over using it just shows the level of your intelligence. Tolstoy, Dostoevski Pushkin all russian great writers words famous for their works, they did cuss and especially the last one alot, but does that mean they "didnt have control overthemselves"? I'm an atheist and i dont see how foul language can be anything that goes against a book, you might be blind...

Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guest [DOH]TaPe
Guests

I'm seeing plenty of things on here about why people shouldn't cuss (and I like that :D ), but I'm not seeing anything on why people DO cuss. You just use it to express anger? Other words can't express your anger then? You can speak with a large vocabulary, using non-vulgar words and still get the point across that you are unhappy? You say you have the right to cuss - I don't question that... I'm not trying to say that if you cuss you are a totally ignorant fool and should be taken out to the cornfields and be shot... I just don't see reasons TO cuss, only reasons NOT to cuss.