8 track player

MrDuke

I've got a buddy w/ a 71 Trans Am 455 HO (unrestored) and the 8 track quit working. Does anybody know anyplace that can repair 8 track players?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't post...youngins.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to buy one from a junkyard?

I'd have to guess that you're going to have to find either an electronics enthusiast ora specialized repair shop. You might try looking up local amateur radio clubs: They usually have electrical engineers who are really good with audio electronics, especially the older stuff (I imagine it's not all solid-state? ;P) and they usually like to pick up side jobs for fun/challenge. Of course, to pay someone like that for their time it will cost your friend, but if he's repairing rather than replacing the eight-track player will be the least of his costs in the long run.

Good luck! I'll poke my nose around here to see if I know anyone, but that will obviously require shipment somewhere and a high level of trust for an "acquaintance of a friend" to put it favorably.

I've got a buddy w/ a 71 Trans Am 455 HO (unrestored) and the 8 track quit working. Does anybody know anyplace that can repair 8 track players?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't post...youngins.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to buy one from a junkyard?

That is your best bet, nobody really repairs it. You could maybe check out a VCR repair shop. That would be his best bet. Why not just get a CD player? Is he trying to make it a show car?

Out of curiosity, can you give a better description of the problem? Is it just an electrical failure? Sound quality issue? Does part of the system work and not another part?

It occurs to me that you might be able to find someone who works on that stuff at a record shop, too, if the amateur radio club thing doesn't pan out (or he's too lazy to do the leg work). Usually "classic" audiophiles are good at that stuff. For example, my uncle just fixed an Edison cylinder player for someone...People like that are unusually handy at "classic" analog electronics because they have to be. They're in the same boat as your friend.

• 1 month later...