Dedicated Server / Server Change Discussions

Guest zerodamage

Post your result, toss in your opinion, and then let everone else do the same. This isn't a debate, give the facts only. If you've given you're facts, please don't make this your thread.

This is a dedicated server. The others are rented through a GSP.

By no means do we have to do anything.

This gives us more control over our server, it skips the middleman. However, there are always pos. and neg. to both scenarios.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

The server traffic has been move to give us a good test. We will continue these tests so as to get as many samples as possible.

I've played in the server with it full a few times and really haven't seen any difference. Now, I know I'm not the pro with 10 hours a week on the server....but I've played long enough to know that many people play a few maps and don't have a stellar round and wanna say it's the server.

On the other hand, people just love the server when they're rockin....

Nobody has talked of loss or choke.....or anything....

With an unbiased, non-caring about the ultimate result, I see no difference between servers.

Ok, next.

Doh, didn't notice I had an extra hop.

" the more hops the better chance of something going wrong."

10 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms 61.216-86-149.nozonenet.com [216.86.149.61]

The extra hop is the edge router for dedicated servers. It's probably about 10 feet away from the gc server.

Like the Linksys router you've got plugged into your modem, maybe it adds a whole 0.1 onto your latency.

I'm gonna go do some more fraggin.

(edited)

actually, i have a dlink. gamefuel baby. just have this ip cause at some point in history when i did more lanning all my friends used this ip as well cause we had linksyses back then.

fatty, we've given you facts. ping is 16 higher according to tracert for me and higher for others as well. also, if you look at players avg ping it seems there are very few people in the 5-25 range when the server used to be full of those people. choke seems worse and the only time i ever notice choke is when i'm playing bad. why am i playing bad? cause my shots aren't registering. that's either choke or an off day. either way it seems like my in and out is not at 100 more often than normal. no loss to speak of.

again, why mess with a great thing? do we need to remove the middle man? does it save us money? afaik, there were no problems with the old server.

Edited by Cujo

Cujo, do me a favor and check the private forum discussion on this.

Thanks for your input. You don't like/want any change, so you don't need to post anymore. Your voice is heard. We rented this server to give the DS server scene a go for serveral reasons....and in doing so invested enough money for me to play devil's advocate instead of just saying "okay" when a handful of people are unhappy. We have the server for a month....and we're gonna keep pushing it to get the data that convinces us that keeping our other servers is the way to go, or vice versa.

I noticed average pings of between 30-50 on each team (I was specifically watching this). Someone take some screenshots of ingame pings for me if we want to talk about server averages.

You make the mistake with your biased posts in thinking that I really want one thing or the other and that somehow you're going to convince me of someething. We are exploring.

Moving on.

Ok, moved this in here for a couple reasons:

1) it's basically GC that are yapping in public, which was NOT what was intended. I linked GC to the GC topic in the email I sent. Maybe the point was missed when I created both a public topic and a private topic.

2) I feared that Cujo wouldn't not understand my post above and be unable to refrain from posting again, so now he can because we're in the GC private forums.

------

In order to find out if this is the route/machine we want to go, we're going to need to get the servers full and give them a run. In order to do this, we need to move ALL OF OUR CHICAGO TRAFFIC over to this server.

This is what I posted in the private forum, and this is why you're posts are bugging me, Cujo.....you're direct questions to me in public about money and about changing a "good thing." Nobody is forcing anything on anyone, you are just underinformed for lack of reading.

I never questioned your facts, I only questioned your questions of me in public....unappreciated and unable to be answered in the public setting because it frankly doesn't do anything good for the GC image. I've asked for feedback for a reason, not because we've made a change that is irreversable....much the opposite (see quote above again).

There was no way to gather good data and come to any conclusions without moving all of the traffic.

Furthermore, this server, by the CPU readings, could easily handle another server on it. Now, if we come back with most people saying that the server performs equal to the old ones, we have a good reason to stick with the dedicated server because we have the ability to run another server.

Cost? At the multiple server discount that we receive from A2G, the dedicated server would cost us $50 more / month. However, if we were to utilize this for a 3rd server of some type, it would be worth it.

Any drop in quality, however, and it is no longer worth it. Not a drop in quality for one person. However, if 50% of us say it's the same and 50% say they prefer the other servers, then the answer is easy. We'll need a clear cut population of (preferably GC input in a non-biased way) that say it's the same or better to stick with it.

sorry, i was unaware there was another thread going on. i came in here when i noticed the ip change and this was the first thread i saw. i didn't realize there were two threads posted in the private section both about the same thing. a simple pm at the first instance where you were annoyed by me would have cleared things up.

how am i biased?

] ping

Client ping times:

98 ms : AK ^ 5u5h| E4ter

67 ms : Monthos

73 ms : Chicagocja

115 ms : TheFritoBandito

101 ms : Faint

111 ms : Dima

123 ms : crybaby

51 ms : mF d00m-Venomous Villain

119 ms : Mr. X

64 ms : [RED]Simmons2.0

96 ms : Shemhamforash

68 ms : [RED]Grif

147 ms : Forbidden

183 ms : [EURO] SUSHI

117 ms : CO2 =UCLA=

45 ms : w8t4time.gc

163 ms : *|CsLs|*YoMamma .gc

190 ms : empty

119 ms : Crashman

132 ms : PV GANGSTER

Everyone's ingame ping at 1:20am cst in NEW server. 0 choke/0 loss

My ping may be a tad higher. But it doesn't seem to be affecting things for me. Play seems a bit smoother on the new box. Or maybe it just "seems" that way because it's new. I can run some traces this evening.

how am i biased?

That's simple. Your ping is higher, you are experiencing worse hits, etc...therefore your posts lead into all the other questions because at that point you want to go back to the other server and became obvious through all the probing.

Biased Example:

My ping is higher.

My shots aren't hitting.

Why are we doing this?

Why change?

What is going on?

Unbiased Example:

My ping is higher.

My shots aren't hitting.

Here's my data.

I am unbiased in the situation because I only want the best server situation for the organization, which will present itself through factual data.

I would hope that you would have enough confidence in the decision-making process in GC to know that we'll take all the reported data into consideration and make the right decision.

Laz makes a good point about those pings at 2:30 AM. I'd like to see the averages during primetime of Chicago time, say 9 or 10 PM EST or something... Also, yomamma, your ping shows 163...that wasn't what it was normally was it?

I think the real test will be more custom maps, these usually caused many problems on the old servers with loss/choke spiking up to unplayable for many. We shall see if this is better on the new server. So far it was pretty transparent for me, ping was 35-45 on old and same on new. A few days per week on the old server I would get a steady 3-10 loss, so far I have not seen this, but will have to wait a bit to pass judgement as this was an intermittent problem.

I'm pinging slightly higher to the new server... if I remember, tonight I will do some traces to post. I think the ping difference was only 5-10.

I have noticed some stuttering (lag) in game, but have not looked at loss or choke yet. I will also look at those tonight.

(edited)
Also, yomamma, your ping shows 163...that wasn't what it was normally was it?

I have no idea why my ping was so high at that moment. I am using uber-slow campus internet, but the ping is usually pretty low that late at night. I left the server soon after and rejoined later in the evening with more 'normal' ping of around 40s-60s. I just posted that because I noticed many of the people playing had high ping at that moment and I found it odd.

I guess maybe it's because some of them are from WC. But even if some of the guys are from WC, why was the lowest ping only "51 ms : mF d00m-Venomous Villain?"

Also, in both cases I was experiencing 0 choke/ 0 loss, which is always really nice :D

Just type "ping" in console next time you play and you can see those same numbers I posted.

Edited by YoMamma

if you look closer mine is lower at 45 in game latecny shows me anywhere from 1 to 6 haven't seen it spike more than that

I typed ping many times over last night and average was about 27-32 about the same as old server I did notice some stutters every once in awhile but nothing that really threw things off my shots er my sprays lol seemed to register same as old server

what can I do exactly to show you my pinging stats?? not sure what other info I can give you?

thought server was in my back yard lol if yomamma is chicago subs I am on wisco illinois border if that helps weird how our pings are so different?

thought server was in my back yard lol if yomamma is chicago subs I am on wisco illinois border if that helps weird how our pings are so different?

Im closer to St. Louis now since Im away at school. When Im at home, Im in the NW subs. Im sure my ping will be lower at home.

(edited)

check the pings in my mcc screen shots. avg is below 40 for both teams in tonights match. i'm sure if you look at the other two match ss they will be the same. also, my loss and choke are nil (2 in the one ss cause it's round start) and in and out are at 100. my registration was also dead on. i can tell when i'm playing good and playing bad. registration is usually separate from that. as ct tonight my aim was off hence my poorer score.

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...howtopic=26025#

Edited by Cujo

GC Alumni
(edited)

I was playing again... my ping was at the 60s - 70s loss jumped everywhere 1-10ish.

I ping plotted again but i still dunno how to really translate it to myself... basically i saw red lines= bad

Target Name: 216-86-154-199.chi.aim2game.com

IP: 216.86.154.199

Date/Time: 13/04/2006 4:40:43 PM to 13/04/2006 4:40:52 PM

1 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms [192.168.0.1]

2 126 ms 33 ms 11 ms 99 ms 14 ms 36 ms 22 ms 38 ms 22 ms 21 ms [10.112.16.1]

3 7 ms 9 ms 7 ms 22 ms 11 ms 33 ms * 8 ms 7 ms 16 ms 21-112.34-65.swfla.res.rr.com [65.34.112.21]

4 26 ms 21 ms 26 ms 23 ms 25 ms 30 ms 34 ms 25 ms 16 ms 16 ms pos1-1.tampflerl-rtr3.tampabay.rr.com [65.32.8.61]

5 14 ms 15 ms 27 ms 15 ms 17 ms 35 ms 23 ms 15 ms 18 ms 127 ms pos5-0-OC-192.tampflerl-rtr4.tampabay.rr.com [65.32.8.130]

6 23 ms 17 ms 16 ms 17 ms 21 ms 23 ms 17 ms 14 ms 17 ms 16 ms so-8-1.car2.Tampa1.Level3.net [4.79.146.9]

7 15 ms 21 ms 27 ms 21 ms 23 ms 29 ms 36 ms 18 ms 21 ms 17 ms ae-1-53.mp1.Tampa1.Level3.net [4.68.104.65]

8 N/A N/A 63 ms N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 53 ms 53 ms ae-0-0.bbr1.Chicago1.Level3.net [64.159.1.33]

9 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 55 ms 52 ms ge-11-0.ipcolo2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.68.101.41]

10 71 ms 68 ms 65 ms 60 ms * 53 ms 58 ms 57 ms 55 ms 56 ms [4.79.66.18]

11 81 ms 66 ms 64 ms 54 ms 87 ms 53 ms 53 ms 73 ms 56 ms 59 ms 59.216-86-149.nozonenet.com [216.86.149.59]

12 74 ms 54 ms 63 ms 54 ms 67 ms 58 ms 57 ms 71 ms 52 ms 53 ms 60.216-86-149.nozonenet.com [216.86.149.60]

13 67 ms 70 ms 63 ms 60 ms 76 ms 58 ms 55 ms 67 ms 63 ms 54 ms 216-86-154-199.chi.aim2game.com [216.86.154.199]

Ping statistics for 216-86-154-199.chi.aim2game.com

Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0.0%)

Round Trip Times: Minimum = 54ms, Maximum = 76ms, Average = 63ms

Edited by EbilDustBunny

Although I don't play on that server much, I want to thank Sir Fatty, head Knight of the Realm, and all the other GC knights for ALL their hard work and efforts to continually improve things for ALL GC members. This is exactly the primary reason I joined GC. It definately was not for my kill ratio of 1.10 or less!

As a server administrator (90+ servers, 10+ TB of storage) I realize that any time you put up a new server environment you never know exactly know it will turn out and tuning sometimes is a constant task.

Well done Fatty and the admin squires! :luxhello: