FRIED!!!

Playaa

so last night......I was working with my new Radeon 9700....I was recording demos to video tape using tv-out.....worked brilliantly........gonna make for nice movies........

THEN

I tried for an hour to get my tv-in to work..........no matter what I did I couldn't get it to capture any picture..........any advice on this?

THEN

I decided to run 3dMark2001 (haven't got the newest yet) to see how much better the score was over my Geforce2 TI

about the 4th or 5th test...........my computer just shuts down.......and won't boot up again

I think my 300-watt power supply (which is the minimum recommendation for a Radeon 9700) got fried............................the problem is that I don't know what sort of power supply to look for..........what sort is compatable with my mobo?

Link to my mobo stats

so can anyone help me out here?.........

yea man, any normal ATX power supply will work.....

What do you mean by wont boot up? Will the power turn on? if so, does it make any beeps or what?

I have never blown a power supply, but I know these new cards, pull lots from teh 12 volt, So i guess you could have pulled to much current from it. You should test it with another PS before you go buy a new one, cuz that might not even be the prob...Save ya some money, but then again it would be a good idea to get a bigger PS, I bought a 450 watter just so it could handle my 9500 pro ]Which will be here today!!!

I'm running a 300w with a 9500 pro...I'd find it strange to think the power supply would blow...was it an old one?

I've got an old AIW card at home...don't recall how to work it right now but I can check later.

Good link m0m.

Playaa, given the problems you have had over the last month or two I'd suggest you get a quality PSU, bite the bullet and spend $70-100 on a 400w+ Antec or Enermax. It may solve more porblems than this latest one. PSU issues are tough to isolate sometimes and always a pain in the arse.

I'm getting really sick of my computer

in the last month with buying 2 things I have doubled the price of my pc

bought ram for $200 and 9700 for $400.....so now my computer has cost me $1200 instead of $600............

*sigh*

and now I hafta spend more money........kinda frustrating......I never should have bought the Radeon....seems to be a waste of money cause performance isn't a HUGE difference over my Geforce (prolly cause my processor, 1.4ghz, is a bottleneck) and now I hafta spend another $100 for a good PS..........and possibly take it to a tech shop for ANOTHER $100 to make SURE it's the PS that's the problem before I buy another

and to whoever said it, Yes the thing won't turn on at ALL

no beeps, no noise, no motion, no lights........like it's not plugged in to the wall.

:(:(:(

Im about 95% sure its your power supply, same thing happend to my friends comp. So buy a new one and throw it in there, I would listen to homer and get a nice one, but we all arent rich (including me) so i found a 450 watt for 30 bucks, it may no put at 450 watts, but as long as it puts out 300-350, im straight.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

I have said it many times that a lower speed cpu will not see a lot of performance from the Radeon 9700 and 9500 pro cards if your cpu is old. Keep the card... you will benefit if you upgrade your system later.

I find it sad that a 1.4 is such a "low speed cpu"

I mean I understand that it's not 3.0ghz but it's still not slow.........I have had no troubles running ANYTHING with this processor......(Including, like I've said before, the Doom3 Alpha test at 20fps)

what is this world coming to?

Um, I'm still overclocking a Celeron 566 to 850....and it seems to do just fine...

Although the fan on my golden orb is noisy anymore...the other day I just couldn't take it so I unplugged the fan....some of you were there when I suddenly disappeared from CS and my computer flipped out. I reached down and burned my finger on the orb...needless to say I plugged the noisy fan back in.

Neat, we got the same computer Playaa (at least same as my old one that's sits noisily across the room). And you're right, it's by no means slow.

You might find this site useful, I have: OC Workbench for K7S5A

Some good info there, and the cheapobios that's available adds more flexibility to the board, and OC capabilities. I've not had problems with it, but, as always, use at your own risk. ;) "<----it's a wink - Magruter

But I'm loving my Dell more these days, not just the faster processor and the better video card, but it makes no noise. I literally took it apart within hours of getting it b/c I thought something was wrong, a fan undone or something. It's just ultra quiet, a big plus in my book.