Bunny's upgrading her PC!

Well not yet but I plan to this winter... maybe earlier if it goes on sale!

This is what I have right now... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145450

This is what i want to add... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820145575

Now what gave me a brain twitch was... that someone said XP OS only handles up to 2gb. True or False?

True that Bunny. Most BIOSes will see up to 3GB and sometimes windows can see up to 3.5 but Windows XP can only address 2 physical gigabytes of memory. At this point in time you do NOT need any more then 2gb of memory as windows cannot use more then that.

True that Bunny. Most BIOSes will see up to 3GB and sometimes windows can see up to 3.5 but Windows XP can only address 2 physical gigabytes of memory. At this point in time you do NOT need any more then 2gb of memory as windows cannot use more then that.

my board can handle up to like 4gb... *sigh* Vista better show up soon.

(edited)

I bought the same 2Gb pack about 2 months ago from Newegg (was on offer at about $170). I've been really pleased with it, so my vote is that it's a good buy (even at full price).

Although I didn't notice a huge difference with CSS, it made a world of difference in BF2 and FEAR and in CIV IV towards the end of games on larger maps.

Edited by Leveller

Yep, Yep, Yep, 2 gigs is all you get and you may not even see that much of a significant improvment. however, YOU CAN DO IT!!! I say go for the 2 and leave it at that. What graphics are you running, just curious. would it be a better bet to save a little here and pump up you GPU? :peace:

the new amd socket is being released on tuesday. after that ddr1 will start to die off. what kind of system are you running? what is the reason that you've decided you need 2 gigs?

well i use 2 gigs every day but that's with a high end vid card using lots of aa and af. though the new ghost recon seems to use more then 1gig even at lowest settings.

Yep, Yep, Yep, 2 gigs is all you get and you may not even see that much of a significant improvment. however, YOU CAN DO IT!!! I say go for the 2 and leave it at that. What graphics are you running, just curious. would it be a better bet to save a little here and pump up you GPU? :peace:

Depending on your CPU and graphics card, 2 gb may make a good difference. If you have high end processor and good graphics card, then 2 gb will help quite a lot on some newer games (BF2, UT2007, COD2, etc...).

Primus is right...if you have a slow processor and slow graphics card upgrade those first.

If you are on a budget, I'd say go with the geforce 7600GT, it is around $150 and gives outstanding performance for the money...if you run a slower processor, get an AMD 64 3500+ or 3700+...for the money ($190 and below) you get a heck of a deal.

(edited)

if you only have a single 1gig stick then just buy a second 1gig stick. i was under the impression from your first post that you had 2x512mb sticks.

edit - ok i re-read your post and now i'm confused. if you have 2x512mb then simply wait til your next upgrade as you won't notice a difference. if you have a single 1gig stick then buy a second one. either way don't buy a 2gig kit. your money is better spent elsewhere.

Edited by Cujo

Yeah, that link you posted was for 2x 512 sticks. Just buy another gig stick of memory and add it to it. You should get the version info off of your current stick and get one of the same revision if you can.

Yeah, that link you posted was for 2x 512 sticks. Just buy another gig stick of memory and add it to it. You should get the version info off of your current stick and get one of the same revision if you can.

get one 1 gig stick ... then wait till vista