Upgarde Today

DNA

Okay upgrading today...installing new MB, CPU, and Case...Will i need to reinstall my windows, and if so how should I go about that without losing my current setup, etc.?? please let me know.

hmmm....... the only way i know is makin a backup disc of everything in your mydocuments folder and keeping a track of all your "favorites" list plus takin a note of all the programs you have that aren't saved in a "download" folder in your mydocuments folder.....

But then again I'm a noob so I'm sure there's other ways out there to preserve your settings.

One thing I forgot.... if you're using the same HD then it shouldn't be a problem. Just reinstall the HD with your new MB and load up your MB installs.

Edited by s|im smi|ey

i'd recommend a full new reinstall, but that might be based on preference more than necessity. i'm always afraid of system .inf conflicts (chipset driver), especially when you're doing a mb heart transplant.

if it's easier, you could tell windows to install to a different directory (like c:\win\) which should unlink any old drivers. if you're in the position to save your documents etc. and burn it to a dvdr (or move to a different hard drive partition), that'd be my route.

but you could just install the new hardware, let windows detect it, and install the drivers from cd. i wouldn't though ;)

(edited)

it probably will not boot right away. best thing to do is a repair off the windows cd. boot to it and then after you get past the part where you hit F8 it should detect a previous install on your harddrive. at that point it will ask you if you want to repair and then you hit yes.

note: skip the first time it suggests repair. also, if you have sp2 installed and don't have a cd with sp2 on it then be sure to download it first thing once you're back in windows.

edit - obviously the best method is always a fresh install. that's why i make a c: and d: partition so that i can back up all my stuff to the secondary drive and just format and install on the primary.

Edited by Cujo

DNA

I have dual drives and the second is free..but can I roll it into the fresh install with the apps and stuff or would I need to reinstall all of that?

so i think you're saying you have a "c: and d:" hard drive. right?

if so...

- move your data (pics, docs, mp3's, "movies" etc.) to the "d:"

- launch your commonly used programs (IE, firefox, outlook, etc.) and look for anything that lets you export. export to your "d:"

double check everything, then double check it again. bookmarks, buddylists, all that crap. look for it and export it.

boot from the cd, format your c:\ partition (AFTER YOUR DEAR BELONGINGS HAVE MOVED TO D:\), and install a fresh copy of windows.

i don't have cujo's experience, so he might have some good news about the repair option (like that it works reliably). but hearing the idea of "repairing windows" always makes me shudder. my idea of repairing windows is formatting the drive, reinstalling, and starting from scratch.

DNA

okay almost done with it...eaverything seems to good..I have a new tool that repairs errors in the reg and stuff..it fixed like 350 erorrs and all is well...now onto the lightscribe software..and then CS.. :)

TY all for the help..cujo,SJ..see you soon.

i'd recommend a full new reinstall, but that might be based on preference more than necessity. i'm always afraid of system .inf conflicts (chipset driver), especially when you're doing a mb heart transplant.

if it's easier, you could tell windows to install to a different directory (like c:\win\) which should unlink any old drivers. if you're in the position to save your documents etc. and burn it to a dvdr (or move to a different hard drive partition), that'd be my route.

but you could just install the new hardware, let windows detect it, and install the drivers from cd. i wouldn't though ;)

i agree... even know you "loose your settings" i believe its worth it..

:smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:

The windows repair option built into the cd only works about 50% of the time. The 50% of the time that it does work people normally start having intermittent issues with windows within like a 2 week period. If you have 2 seperate hard drives that are close to the same size you should install the fresh copy of windows onto the clean hard drive. Then hookup your original drive as a slave to the one with windows and copy all the information you need to save at your leisure.