Great Britain

mookie

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I learned a long time ago that Great Britain was not part of Europe, but many disagree. Maybe this is just an American way of looking things that we find easier because we like England better than countries like France.

Maybe some other people just feel a need for the continents to be a complete partitioning of the earth.

(edited)

Bet you can't guess what an Englishman voted (edited because I forget that Bones posts everywhere and I shouldn't leave him out).

This does also lead almost to another poll, is it Great Britain or should England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland be thought of as independent entities now that Scotland and Wales have their own elected parlaiments?

Edited by Leveller

I voted yes due to England's history, it's close proximity with Europe, and the lack of being with any other continent I don't think that England should not be called part of Europe along with the rest of the UK.

Maybe I'm just reading this differently to everyone in the US because I'm from England (Britain). Geographically there's no getting around it, it is part of Europe, but....... and it's a collosal should be in the yo mamma jokes forum thread but.......... I'm reading this as in part of the European Community, EU, EEC, Common Market, United States of Europe, whatever they call it these days.

Equally with the Great Britain thing, there's no avoiding that Wales, Scotland and in fact all of Ireland are part of the British Isles (as are the Isle of Man, Guernsey, Jersey, Alderney etc. etc.) but with them having independent governing bodies is there still a place for the United Kingdom or Great Britain???

Maybe they should change their name to Sort of United Kingdom?

More like "United or get bashed Kingdom"

The way I see it, if such a hefty percentage of your population wears track pants then you have to be European, regardless of whether or not you use the currency/common sense or not...(Bones/Lev...remember I'm also a British citizen before kicking me in the teeth for this joke!)

Also...the EU is already full of odd couples as it is...I mean how can France, Germany and Italy alone get along without adding the Spanish, Dutch and Belgians into the mix...I'm just surprised they can all agree on the rules for football, let alone what colour their money should be.

What language to speak is pretty obvious from this blurb...

The European Commission has announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU, rather than German, which was the other contender. Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had room for improvement and has therefore accepted a five-year phasing in of "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make sivil servants jump for joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k", Which should klear up some konfusion and allow one key less on keyboards.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f", making words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e" is disgrasful.

By the fourth yer, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and everivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. ZE DREM VIL FINALI COM TRU!

Herr Schmidt

I haven't seen that in about 3 years and it made me nearly fall off my seat then as well. Nice find ............ I will be honest though I see your point, there's a reason my wife and I decided that here would be home and not stay in England ....................

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and everivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. ZE DREM VIL FINALI COM TRU!

lol

Geographically we are part of Europe.

Politically/Economically we are more part of Europe than not part of Europe.

We don't use the Euro because our countries economy was not at the right stage of introduce a single currency, and when previous exchange rate fixing schemes were in place te UK had to pull out as it forced our economy into a slump. Also, lots of people have pride in the pound as its our unique currency.

We have a lot of EU legislation entrenched into our laws. The biggest example being the Human rights act/conventions, something that the UK contributed a lot to when the drafting took place. Our courts have to follow the decisions made in the european courts of human rights and the european court of justice (whatver its called), and a lot of EU legistation is copied into our legislation. We all sign quite a few treaties here and there, which further intergrates us with Europe.

However, you have to recognise that our legal system is very different from the legal systems in other countries in Europe. Firstly, quite a few of our laws are different, secondly, our constitution and law making authorities are different, and most importantly our parliamentary soveriengty is important, as for our parliament to remain te supreme power then they should be allowed to amend/repeal the EU legislation.

On a side note, we hate the Germans, initially from the wars, but now mainly due to Football. We hate the french because (a) they are french (B) they are french and © they are french, but we kind of feel sorry for them because they keep trying to win wars but can't quite manage :D

I love the French, and I'm not just saying that as a Canadian. The French give us hope. They give us a certain pride in not being French.

So I thank the French. Thank you. Thank you for taking one for the team.

Thank you for being French instead of me.

• 2 weeks later...
I love the French, and I'm not just saying that as a Canadian. The French give us hope. They give us a certain pride in not being French.

So I thank the French. Thank you. Thank you for taking one for the team.

Thank you for being French instead of me.

:biglaugha::biglaugha: Peckles, nice way of looking at it! :D