AMD cuts prices after July 24

to me it doesn't make sense to have a 4600 at 301 and a 4400 at 470. they're bound to fall too. likewise with the 5000 and the 4800.

anyway, you should be looking at opterons and they're not listed there.

anon, if you can refer a few sales for me i could give you a hefty discount... :)

unfortunately all my "friends" are freeloading bums without jobs....and I get all my pc stuff from my dad's old boss's son who owns his own gaming pc company...wait a minute...you rl name isn't dave is it?

Homer' date='Jun 14 2006, 09:21 AM' post='344289']

There is a cheaper FX-62, it's called the Opteron 165 (dual core, 1.8ghz stock, 2x1mb cache). Just get a cheap $267 one and overclock the bejeesus out of it. I've put a couple together and with decent mobo and ram 2.7-2.9ghz is easy on air.

Wooaaa, who is this new guy running around in here. :D

How ya doin' Homer?

(edited)
Homer' date='Jun 14 2006, 09:21 AM' post='344289']

There is a cheaper FX-62, it's called the Opteron 165 (dual core, 1.8ghz stock, 2x1mb cache). Just get a cheap $267 one and overclock the bejeesus out of it. I've put a couple together and with decent mobo and ram 2.7-2.9ghz is easy on air.

Yeah, that is socket 939... http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....rice=&maxPrice=

However, what keeps them selling the others...I mean if this is essentially better than Athlon 64, for cheaper, why does anyone buy Athlon 64??

I have read much about unlocked multipliers with Athlon vs. Opteron and 3 vs 1 uncoherent links for HT...

First to answer gets cookie! :unsure:

Edited by Tek-Almighty

cmon price drops! I can't wait to build my new beast!

Oh nvm...Cujo...1 assailant please...

ditto

cant wait to go from 3000+ Barton

to..

5000 64

:spin2::spin2:

Opteron was orginally AMD's line for servers(somoene correct me if Im wrong). The Athlon 64 was put on the market and advertised to consumers.

someone correct me again if Im wrong, but when A64's first came out, they were all socket 754. The opterons were 939. And the 939's were more expensive at the time. Over the years A64's moved to Socket 939 and it leveled out the playing field. Either way, I would have gone with an Opteron back in the day if I was building a system. But I unfortunatly had to upgrade to a 939 platform for cheap, I got a decent mobo with a cheap 3200+ just waiting for a dual core opteron.

someone correct me again if Im wrong, but when A64's first came out, they were all socket 754. The opterons were 939. And the 939's were more expensive at the time. Over the years A64's moved to Socket 939 and it leveled out the playing field. Either way, I would have gone with an Opteron back in the day if I was building a system. But I unfortunatly had to upgrade to a 939 platform for cheap, I got a decent mobo with a cheap 3200+ just waiting for a dual core opteron.

actually when opterons first came out they were socket 940. they, for the most part, still are socket 940 but there was demand for a s939 (able to use unregistered memory) part so they released one.

homer, i'm gonna get technical with you and say that there is no fx62 that competes with the current opterons as the fx62 is am2 only and afaik amd are not making opterons for am2. ignoring the technicalities you are right as long as you have high performance ddr ram and the fx62 is on value ddr2 then clock for clock the s939 opteron will outperform the fx62. if you throw high performance ddr2 (3-3-3-5 timings and better) then the fx62 will clock for clock outperform any s939 part.

I've been waiting to overclock my 64 3500+ since I installed it but afraid to void my warranty on a cpu that was 200 smackers. But at 7/24 I can get a replacement for half the price, I won't be afraid to bump it up a few bins.

(edited)
I've been waiting to overclock my 64 3500+ since I installed it but afraid to void my warranty on a cpu that was 200 smackers. But at 7/24 I can get a replacement for half the price, I won't be afraid to bump it up a few bins.

you will not damage your cpu overclocking it provided you don't set the voltage too high. on stock cooling you can use up to 1.5 volts safely and with no danger of damaging anything. your cpu should do 2.4ghz without increasing the voltage. i would go ahead and set it to 1.5v and see how far it'll go and maintain stability. don't forget about changing your memory dividers otherwise you will get memory related instability.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

any settings mentioned apply mainly to dfi motherboards but there is lots of valuable theory.

Edited by Cujo

Yeah...OC that proc!

Just do it bit by bit by bit...not all at once...it takes time, so don't be impatient.

From what I've read, the 939 opterons are essentially the same, except for how they handle HT applications. However, when you consider that a 1.8ghz dual opteron is about the same as a 2.0 ghz Athlon x2 (but more L2 cache), I don't know if the price is justified. In fact, when you look at their dually cores that are up there in clock speeds (2.4 etc...), then the price is just about the same for Athlon x2...

Only thing I keep seeing over and over is that Opteron will overclock very well.

hmmmm

Yeah...OC that proc!

Just do it bit by bit by bit...not all at once...it takes time, so don't be impatient.

From what I've read, the 939 opterons are essentially the same, except for how they handle HT applications. However, when you consider that a 1.8ghz dual opteron is about the same as a 2.0 ghz Athlon x2 (but more L2 cache), I don't know if the price is justified. In fact, when you look at their dually cores that are up there in clock speeds (2.4 etc...), then the price is just about the same for Athlon x2...

Only thing I keep seeing over and over is that Opteron will overclock very well.

hmmmm

heres how the value works out.

I jsut bought an Opty 165 for about $350. I got a GREAT stepping (CCB1E 0609 FPMW). On avg, this particular chip gets to about 2.5- 2.8 Ghz on STOCK VOLTAGE..It surpasses 3.0 Ghz on Air cooling, and "can" hit 3.2+ Ghz on water cooling.

SO, for about $350 , I jsut bought a dual core CPU with 2MB L2 cache that will outperform ( In a BIG way) a $1200 amd cpu.

You simply dont buy a higher clock speed Opty as it is a total waste of $. The 175 and up only clock to = or less than the 165/170s.

Works for me!