freeze new memberships?

Chief

20 more members and there will be 1066. The year of the Norman conquest and for a while the number of seats on the NYSE. I propose freezing new memberships for one week in honor of the mileston. :ylusy:

:puppy_dog_eyes: Don't want to sound like I'm wiccan or a mystic or something, but I grew up thinking that 1066 was an important number. I like numbers. Clearly nobody cares about 1066, but what about Pi? If you like numbers there's a good movie called Pi that is worth watching. Avogadro's number, the speed of light, different constants are all cool to me. If you didn't already think so, here's another reason to think I'm whack! :wavey:

Be careful what you wish for... heh I find it amazing that in all the different mathematics, science, and physics classes how prevelant and necessary PI was. Forgive my spelling and grammer as I do not feel like proofreading this darn thing.

Most people know the geometric properties of PI. It is used in calculating pretty much every geometry (surface area, volume, etc) of any object that involves a circle (circles,ellipses, spheres, cones, torus, cylinders etc). But it has creepy geometric properties as well. For example it is impossible to create a perfect square that has the exact same area as a perfect circle. Comes from the fact that PI is an irrational and trancendential number.

PI is all over the place when it comes to probability. For example, the probablility that two numbers have a common factor is 6/PI^2. PI is also essential in the probablilty density function that connects means and standard deviations in any set of data. There are tons of other probabilities that include PI, but do not remember em.

Amazing amounts of mathematic formulas involve PI. They are used to describe so many different mathematical realations. Tons of infinate series that seem incredibly complex converge to a relatively simple number that involves PI... even if the series does not describe anything circular in origin. Some of the most important special functions used to solve complex calculus problems require the number PI, for example the Gamma function. PI is also used to relate real and imagionary numbers in Eulers identity (which is a really amazing identity in of itself).

Now all this math stuff is neat to those that like it but may not impress others. What is neat is how often PI pops up in physics and natural science. It is used in atomic theory (Heisenburg's uncertainty principle and Einsteins general relativity equations), electrical fields and the properties of light waves (coulombs law), magnetic fields (permiablility of free space), orbital motion, cosmological constants of energy in free space, describing DNA strands, the natural time periods of any oscillating object, and so many more.

Creepy to me that a number that is derived from a simple circle could have so many vastly different uses and occur in so much of our natural world.

Who needs Pi (The number of times the diameter of a circle fits into the circumference.)? When you have Phi!

phi2.gif Phi (1.618 033 988..) is the divine proportion. It appears many times in life, geometry, mathematics, and more.

Yes, PHI is a creepy number as well.

Yes I am a big Phi fan, and I think the Davinci Code book created a few others in the past few years.. :)

I get more question about Phi now then I have ever in my life.

Yes I am a big Phi fan, and I think the Davinci Code book created a few others in the past few years.. :)

I get more question about Phi now then I have ever in my life.

yea, PHI is a verrrry creepy number..

after i read the chapter where Robert Langdon talks about PHI, i was just amazed. I did a bit of reading about PHI and it really amazed and scared me at the same time. I mean like the number of females in any bee hive divided by the number of males = 1.618....There was something about the human body too, but i forgot it. I'm pretty sure some of you may know what i'm talking about...

But anyways, it's scary how these numbers occur so much in life....

Ahhh, numbers. Too bad 1066 doesn't mean anything to anyone else but at least some other freaks dig on the potent relationships of the physical world and the maths that can describe them.

• 1 month later...
Be careful what you wish for... heh I find it amazing that in all the different mathematics, science, and physics classes how prevelant and necessary PI was. Forgive my spelling and grammer as I do not feel like proofreading this darn thing.

Most people know the geometric properties of PI. It is used in calculating pretty much every geometry (surface area, volume, etc) of any object that involves a circle (circles,ellipses, spheres, cones, torus, cylinders etc). But it has creepy geometric properties as well. For example it is impossible to create a perfect square that has the exact same area as a perfect circle. Comes from the fact that PI is an irrational and trancendential number.

PI is all over the place when it comes to probability. For example, the probablility that two numbers have a common factor is 6/PI^2. PI is also essential in the probablilty density function that connects means and standard deviations in any set of data. There are tons of other probabilities that include PI, but do not remember em.

Amazing amounts of mathematic formulas involve PI. They are used to describe so many different mathematical realations. Tons of infinate series that seem incredibly complex converge to a relatively simple number that involves PI... even if the series does not describe anything circular in origin. Some of the most important special functions used to solve complex calculus problems require the number PI, for example the Gamma function. PI is also used to relate real and imagionary numbers in Eulers identity (which is a really amazing identity in of itself).

Now all this math stuff is neat to those that like it but may not impress others. What is neat is how often PI pops up in physics and natural science. It is used in atomic theory (Heisenburg's uncertainty principle and Einsteins general relativity equations), electrical fields and the properties of light waves (coulombs law), magnetic fields (permiablility of free space), orbital motion, cosmological constants of energy in free space, describing DNA strands, the natural time periods of any oscillating object, and so many more.

Creepy to me that a number that is derived from a simple circle could have so many vastly different uses and occur in so much of our natural world.

Who needs Pi (The number of times the diameter of a circle fits into the circumference.)? When you have Phi!

phi2.gif Phi (1.618 033 988..) is the divine proportion. It appears many times in life, geometry, mathematics, and more.

Yes, PHI is a creepy number as well.

GREAT post. GREAT. A very good read.