Let the towns drift slowly by

Listen to the steel rails hummin'

That's a hobo's lullaby

Words and Music by Goebel Reeves

© Copyright 1961 (renewed) by Sanga Music, Inc

song by woody guthrie

http://www.woodyguthrie.org/index.htm

Edited by w8t4time

I always wanted to hop trains when I was a kid. I only had the chance to do it twice and we didn't go more than a couple of miles. Then back in 1995, me and my buddy who is now the 3rd SF tried to canoe from St. Louis to New Orleans. You may remember "the floods of '95". After a couple of weeks we were down by Memphis and got hit by a couple of tornados and the next morning were sucked under by a giant whirlpool. We got separated as I swam after the dry bags with the guns and money and Justin wrangled the canoe over to some trees.

He got picked up by a tug boat pushing up river, while I was left swimming in the river for 7 hours. Greg Periman was the pilot of the Bernard F. and under maritime law was able to over ride the captain's request to press on. After a few hours, and sightings of a body, Justin had to call our parents and let them know I was presumed dead. But Greg Periman didn't give up on me even after Search and Rescue called off its search due to bad weather. They spotted me where I had managed to swim the dry bags to some trees. I'd loaded up the shottie and pistol and fended off snakes and rats and was very happy to see a boat. I didn't know the back story at this point.

Then over the loud speaker a distinct bayou voice straight out of Mark Twain said that they'd get to me. Keep in mind that this boat is pushing many barges and stretch hundreds of feet. It came to a hover, pushing north into the fast moving Mississippi River current. Slowly it rotated counter clockwise, maintaining its hover while angling against the current. Then ever so slowly, it started walking over toward me. As it got to me, there's Justin! And the crew with a 20 or 30 foot extension ladder that they lowered down to me.

After hand shakes and hugs and them stowing the firearms, we were taking to the bridge where a furious captain told us how many 10s of thousands of dollars an hour was being wasted. All the while, Greg Periman was in his 30s and thought we were "so f'n cool" to have done the Mississippi in a canoe. He talked about Twain and his life on the river and on and on.

Later we were the top story on the 10 o'clock news in 3 states. So I guess we were either cool or stupid.

Now this wasn't the life of a hobo, but it was a heck of an adventure. And isn't that what hobos are? Adventurers?

Hobo's are real, but very few are around today.. There were alot during the great depression. A GREAT movie about hobo's a real Must see is called "Emperor of the North Pole", staring Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine, and Keith Carradine.. Really is a VERY good movie..

(edited)

Yep. For better or worse. If you ask me next year at FragFest I can tell the story in an hour or two over some beers.

Greg Periman sighting!

Chief, is that a real story?

And dunlavy are you saying that just because one does not own a house, they are not a person?

Exactly, I find this topic a little offensive.

I think he meant is it a bag or a person since nowadays there aren't many folks riding the rails illegally. And there houses are railyards huddled around steel drums burning newspaper and cardboard boxes.

Edited by Chief

Chief, is that a real story?

And dunlavy are you saying that just because one does not own a house, they are not a person?

Exactly, I find this topic a little offensive.

Only a person without a house would find this offensive.

Are YOU a hobo?

- Dun

Oh, and guys... don't read too much into threads like this from me. I'm totally joking from my house.

Only a person without a house would find this offensive.

Are YOU a hobo?

No, I am not a hobo. And what do ya know! I do have a house, and I did find this offensive.

"Be kind. Remember, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle"

- Thompson

even bugs bunny would tell you that there is a difference between hoboing and being homeless!

hoboing was a lifestyle choice for many years! these days it does have a more negative view some people do not respect why people would travel on foot or by thumb around the country?

or as the australians put it a "walkabout"

I spent 6 months hiking the appalachian trial in 1991 june 14 to second week of december--- maine to the virginia tennnesse border

living out of a backpack is an interesting way to live and you meet so many cool people!

I have always wanted to take a whole summer off and backpack all over europe that would be so much fun and very interesting I am sure!

even bugs bunny would tell you that there is a difference between hoboing and being homeless!

hoboing was a lifestyle choice for many years! these days it does have a more negative view some people do not respect why people would travel on foot or by thumb around the country?

I got the impression that dunlavy was making fun of all homeless people.

I got the impression that dunlavy was making fun of all homeless people.

Seconded... seems like we have done this all before.

Wow Chief, just wow!!

As to the topic, part of my sociology degree was spent studying hobos. It really is an interesting way of life. In the past, America's economy depended on them as cheap labor for farmers. This is likely rarely the case anymore.

I've represented many homeless individuals. That is much different than a hobo. A hobo might inspire you with their ingenuity. A homeless person leaves you thinking "but for the grace of God go I...."

Wow Chief, just wow!!

As to the topic, part of my sociology degree was spent studying hobos. It really is an interesting way of life. In the past, America's economy depended on them as cheap labor for farmers. This is likely rarely the case anymore.

I've represented many homeless individuals. That is much different than a hobo. A hobo might inspire you with their ingenuity. A homeless person leaves you thinking "but for the grace of God go I...."

Nicely put. :peace:

After a couple of weeks we were down by Memphis and got hit by a couple of tornados and the next morning were sucked under by a giant whirlpool. We got separated as I swam after the dry bags with the guns and money and Justin wrangled the canoe over to some trees.

Mythbusters episode 56

Does anyone watch this show? I caught the very tail end of it, but I'd like to hear what all happened. I'm sure it'll be on reruns for the next week so I hope I catch it. Giant whirlpools are my nemesis! I'll never buy a whirlpool branded appliance, I know that much.

Mythbusters is a great show. Those guys have a lot of ingenuity.

Episode 56 summary: the whirlpool they created spun Adam around a lot and woulda sucked him under if he didn't have something to hold on to. He eventually puked in the water from spinning, which ended the testing.