Which would you upgrade first?

Magruter

$$$ Is alittle tight but i want to start to plan for the furture and do some piece upgrading. What would be the first to go??

Motherboard: ASUS P4S8X

http://usa.asus.com/mb/socket478/p4s8x/overview.htm

processor: P4 2.53ghz northwoods

Video card: rad 9800xt

sound card: Audigy 2

Ram: Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Unbuffered System Memory Model KVR333X64C25/512 - OEM

CD-RW sony 52x

DVD-RW

Floppy: cheap one

Hard Drive: WD (80 gig)

2nd: Hitachi 120gb

Case: Antec

350w power supply

Monitor: 19" NEC

(edited)

it's agp.

mag, that system is rather hopeless. one small upgrade you could do right now is add another 512mb stick of ram. ddr400 would work fine. that would be a worthwhile short term upgrade especially for cs:source. when it came out is when i upgraded to 1gig.

otherwise just prepare to spend around $1000 on a new decent system. nothing in that system would be compatible with any new hardware right now. everything is moving to ddr2 and pci express. not to mention socket 478 cpus (like yours) are no longer produced.

Edited by Cujo

ya mags im in the same boat as you right now, i want to upgrade but looks like im gonna have to just buy a new comp, AMD is very cheap right now, could get a good system for 700-800 bucks

Just to put in my upgrade...

I picked up a new pci-e mother board, and a new ati x1600pro from new egg for less than 200$.

I just kept my amd proc. and ram and everything else and it has worked out great for me.

it's agp.

mag, that system is rather hopeless. one small upgrade you could do right now is add another 512mb stick of ram. ddr400 would work fine. that would be a worthwhile short term upgrade especially for cs:source. when it came out is when i upgraded to 1gig.

otherwise just prepare to spend around $1000 on a new decent system. nothing in that system would be compatible with any new hardware right now. everything is moving to ddr2 and pci express. not to mention socket 478 cpus (like yours) are no longer produced.

I must concur with cujo on this one. You cannot really upgrade CPU with that motherboard, wouldn't be significant performance boost for the $$$. You could upgrade your vid card, but your cpu, northbridge, and ram would bottleneck that real quick. Harddrive upgrade is really pointless, from a performance standpoint, unless you went all out and spent buku $$$.

If you want a 200-300% increase in gaming, here's what I'd do...

*Buy Asus mobo (pci-e vid card capable) for around $100-120.

**Buy Athlon 64 single core 3700 cpu for around $105-120 (newegg.com)

***Buy PCI-E vid card (middle of road ATI or NV) for around $150. (my personal opinion is that NVidia has more bang for the buck at the middle/low price range...)

****Last buy one for 512 mb stick of DDR for around $35.

Total you have spent around $400 and you have a BIG performance boost.

Keep your PSU, keep your HDD (for now...a 250 GB SATA is only $85), keep everything else...

Im not sure that 350 watt Flux Capacitor would work either. I havent seen one that small since....well, since I built by Celeron 300A and OCd it to 450 lol.

That would be a good thing to change to prevent major future issues. I can name some good ones, but theyre a little pricey ( like OCZ Gamextream or Fortrons version of same) . Im sure one of these guys could name a decent <$100 one.

(edited)

it's agp.

I must concur with cujo on this one. You cannot really upgrade CPU with that motherboard, wouldn't be significant performance boost for the $$$. You could upgrade your vid card, but your cpu, northbridge, and ram would bottleneck that real quick. Harddrive upgrade is really pointless, from a performance standpoint, unless you went all out and spent buku $$$.

If you want a 200-300% increase in gaming, here's what I'd do...

*Buy Asus mobo (pci-e vid card capable) for around $100-120.

**Buy Athlon 64 single core 3700 cpu for around $105-120 (newegg.com)

***Buy PCI-E vid card (middle of road ATI or NV) for around $150. (my personal opinion is that NVidia has more bang for the buck at the middle/low price range...)

****Last buy one for 512 mb stick of DDR for around $35.

Total you have spent around $400 and you have a BIG performance boost.

Keep your PSU, keep your HDD (for now...a 250 GB SATA is only $85), keep everything else...

only draw back is his current memory is ddr333. that means running your memory slower than your cpu which equals bottleneck. best bet would be to go ddr2 right now.

also, his psu, even if antec, is still only 350w. i wouldn't risk putting all these new things with that power supply.

Edited by Cujo

only draw back is his current memory is ddr333. that means running your memory slower than your cpu which equals bottleneck. best bet would be to go ddr2 right now.

also, his psu, even if antec, is still only 350w. i wouldn't risk putting all these new things with that power supply.

*sniffs...yo...why you gotta be like that, yo?