New Rig Ordered :)

akaM2

Well I just finished ordering my new rig.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4000+ Socket AM2 2mb L2 Cache $189

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe nForce 570 AM2 $149.99

36GB 10,000 RPM Raptor from friend for $75

Case/500w Enermax PS from diff friend for $100

2GB Corsair XMS DDR2 $152.00(after rebate)

eVGA 256mb 7900GT $269.99

Samsung DVD Burner $32.99

All in All stayed under 1k (my goal), I like my setup now, cant wait to receive it all to put it together.

BTW: If you see anything I shouldnt get tell me now! I can still cancel portions of it.

Nice one M2, hopefully you dont have the problems that I am, but then again, yer smarter than me, so I hope you do, then figure it out, and help me :)

I'm havin random crashes and freezes, some with BSOD listing an nVidia driver as the problem. I have been doing alot of reading, and apparently there are driver issues with the cards and a dual core cpu :(.

Athlon64 X2 3800+

Gigabyte Triton K8 Mobo

160gb SATA H.D

1 Gig RAM

BFG GeForce 7900 GT OC

looks good.

i'm not sure about the ram cause since they went ddr2 i thought it's 800mhz-1066mhz or something like that. i'd want some input from someone who knows. XMS though prolly means it should be good?!

the processor should be the best value if it could be oc'd to 2.8ghz.

also, i'd like to know how that burner works. it's really cheap compared to plextor but if it's good i may want one too.

(edited)
looks good.

i'm not sure about the ram cause since they went ddr2 i thought it's 800mhz-1066mhz or something like that. i'd want some input from someone who knows. XMS though prolly means it should be good?!

the processor should be the best value if it could be oc'd to 2.8ghz.

also, i'd like to know how that burner works. it's really cheap compared to plextor but if it's good i may want one too.

I've had the same burner in my rig for about 6 months and whilst I'm not a heavy user (probably 1 burn a week now, but probably abour 25 in the first 2 weeks of having it) I've not had one coaster out of it.

And indeed looks like a tasty bit of kit M2.

Edited by Leveller

m2, your ram is too slow. the new dual cores use ddr2 800 aka pc6400. get some of that instead. otherwise looks good. nice deals from friends. make sure that power supply is a newer 24pin one.

keep us posted.

clueless, check here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429

have you tried the latest bios and latest vid drivers on a fresh install?

m2, your ram is too slow. the new dual cores use ddr2 800 aka pc6400. get some of that instead. otherwise looks good. nice deals from friends. make sure that power supply is a newer 24pin one.

keep us posted.

clueless, check here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81429

have you tried the latest bios and latest vid drivers on a fresh install?

Yeah, thanks Cujo, I did try that actually, and it got a little worse, so i undid that and I am using 3rd party drivers which made it MUCH better, but still crashing a bit.

Just an update....I was having more problems...I did a clean install of Windows....did NOT put in SP2, also, when I installed the mobo drivers, I did NOT install the AMD cool n' quiet. I have also NOT installed the AMD optimizer, or the MS Hotfix, since most of those fixed problems associated with cool n' quiet (so i've read).

I'm using dhZeropoint drivers from driver-heaven, an older version since the newer ones are crapola.

So far....no issues, but i'll keep ya posted.

my cs crashes randomly. once every couple of days.

mine usually crashes when i'm the last one left in a 1v1... i will see the guy then start to fire, then BLAM. game crashes. Then I almost pull my scalp off

clueless, sp2 is a definate must. as for the others it's up to you. do what works.

installing the amd optimizer, the x2 driver and the hotfix gave me lots more source performance.

clueless, sp2 is a definate must. as for the others it's up to you. do what works.

installing the amd optimizer, the x2 driver and the hotfix gave me lots more source performance.

SP2 has been a true source of evil on every machine that I have ever installed it on. I think it was even the main problem on this one, because I uninstalled everything 1 by 1, with SP2 being the final straw, which of course made everything fubar, hense the clean install afterwards, lol. But everytime I have used it, on every machine, it has come with strange random crashes and BSOD's. Thats just my experience, I dont have it now, and I have no more BSOD crashes.