Sobering Story/Video on the Dangers of Street Racing

ScubaDan

it's insane man. california has a habit of building oversized roads to accomodate the future (continued) growth. so you've got 8 lanes where maybe 4 are necessary. it's the perfect drag strip.

i ride a bike and skateboard and don't stand a chance against these guys. even if you look both ways, if you look right, then left, by the time you cross, they could pounce you from the right without ever hearing a thing.

a lot of the towns and cities around here are taking pretty aggressive anti street racing measures. some will confiscate the car, all have mandatory jail terms, and murder (not vehicular manslaughter) will be sought if a non participant is involved. too fast, too furious. :boo:

I'm not condoning it but man...I can sure understand it. Guess the shame is the risk to other lives. I mean, I'm sure jumping out of an airplane is a HUGE rush, just like going 240 kph on a motorcycle, just not worth the risk to me...but I can understand it.

yea.....this isnt good at all. i mean, if they want to go street racing and risk their own lives, thats their choice. but what they dont know is at any moment they can lose control and possibly kill/injure other people on the road. it really sucks to see people die like this, especially when they arent part of the street race.

Yeah I've been seeing that on the news just about every morning since they got that footage. It's just a shame that this thrill seeker took not only his own life but the life of the person he hit too...and his two buddies will probably never be allowed near a bike again...

I'm not condoning it but man...I can sure understand it. Guess the shame is the risk to other lives. I mean, I'm sure jumping out of an airplane is a HUGE rush, just like going 240 kph on a motorcycle, just not worth the risk to me...but I can understand it.

I can understand it too because if you owned a bike like he had you would want to go at insane speeds too. I wouldn't be that brave to do it in the same fashion as him just because I know enough rural roads that I could do my own testing.

u know what i can't feel sorry for this guy. I have personally lost a few friends in accidents that involved motorocycles and cars.

If you are careless in the way you operate your vehicle then you deserve what you get. Sounds cruel but that's how it is. Granted some people do this for a living, but they are pro's and they do this in enclosed races etc. When you do this on public roads with other motorists around you are a MORON. I myself have many times been challenged at a stop light or something to race, just cuz i have a sports car doesnt mean i'm gonna race you. Good riddance.....

sorry if the post sounds insincere but this topic hits close to home.

Edited by Xterminator

It's hard to charge someone on stupidity. It reminds me of a time when a guy j-crossed RIGHT next to a street light at MIDNIGHT. A bunch of cars made the turn, and such street being a long, one-way road, they gun it pretty fast --- the car that's going to kill the stupid fool tries to avoid him, smashes into another car, which then flipped many times over, to the other side of the road.

I was on break, so I saw the latter, learned the rest later (heheh, i made a pun) and since the j-crosser ran off, I went out with my cel phone to check if the guy was still alive - he was out the whole time until the ambulance took him away, if he lived, it wouldn't be pretty either way.

Its sounds different but it's really the same - these people just dont have the brains to realize 'Gee, this might be a little stupid'. No law/religion can really give out a fitting punishment for such a thing.

It's hard to charge someone on stupidity. It reminds me of a time when a guy j-crossed RIGHT next to a street light at MIDNIGHT. A bunch of cars made the turn, and such street being a long, one-way road, they gun it pretty fast --- the car that's going to kill the stupid fool tries to avoid him, smashes into another car, which then flipped many times over, to the other side of the road.

I was on break, so I saw the latter, learned the rest later (heheh, i made a pun) and since the j-crosser ran off, I went out with my cel phone to check if the guy was still alive - he was out the whole time until the ambulance took him away, if he lived, it wouldn't be pretty either way.

Its sounds different but it's really the same - these people just dont have the brains to realize 'Gee, this might be a little stupid'. No law/religion can really give out a fitting punishment for such a thing.

if that happened to me i would be TICKED! the nerve of the guy to run off!

my uncle just died in a motorcycle accident last month, which wasn't his fault. He raced professionally when he was in his 30s, but at 60 this year, he was just a commuter. He died going 30 mph, when somebody hit him in an SUV at 45mph. So i understand that death like this is tragic and bikes are dangerous....

for these bozos...keep racing on a track, not on a street...that way when Darwin comes for you, it won't kill anyone else, hopefully.

BTW, the first video that Warpig posted, is the aftermath of those people that this whole story/thread is about.

Edited by Tek-Almighty

sorry to hear about the Tek Almighty, there are alot of accidents that are not the bikers fault just people not seeing the bikes. I try to wear bright colors when I ride that way people notice me more, I also have a yellow bike. I still have people not see me but thats just the risks of riding. I love to ride but I dont street race or do stunts, I just enjoy riding.

sorry to hear about the Tek Almighty, there are alot of accidents that are not the bikers fault just people not seeing the bikes. I try to wear bright colors when I ride that way people notice me more, I also have a yellow bike. I still have people not see me but thats just the risks of riding. I love to ride but I dont street race or do stunts, I just enjoy riding.

I used to race bikes (not the motor type...)...try pedaling around town at 25 mph on a 20lb bike and have cars continually not see you...

that is a lot of fun...lol

Yesterday I was driving down the freeway and saw a cycler coming behind me at about 90 mph... moved over to let him by. He got up to the next few cars and instead of slowing down he buzzed between two cars on the lines. At about 90 mph. While he flipped one of them the bird. This is the sort of stuff that makes me angry at motorcyclists. I see things like this all the time. I almost hoped he would lose control and crash.

Yesterday I was driving down the freeway and saw a cycler coming behind me at about 90 mph... moved over to let him by. He got up to the next few cars and instead of slowing down he buzzed between two cars on the lines. At about 90 mph. While he flipped one of them the bird. This is the sort of stuff that makes me angry at motorcyclists. I see things like this all the time. I almost hoped he would lose control and crash.

Dude must have a death wish! alot of my buddies I ride with drive like that.....I might take off fast but I rarely ever speed.

Two things to share.

1. I do my speeding on a race track... I go to the track 7-10 times a summer, and go as fast as I want on my bike.

2. There is nothing inherently dangerous about a motorcycle. The danger is added by the rider, or the environment, or other traffic. That's it. A motorcycle sitting by itself is not dangerous, just sitting there, shut off... no danger.

Personally I don't speed on the public roads, and I certainly don't race. I know a lot of people who do though... and they'll get what they have coming to them...