I quit smoking

benjester

well... day number 24 of no tobacco... quit cold turkey on labor day.

It really is amazing how much your senses get drowned out by smoking...

now for those of you who have quit in the past... how did you slow your eating habbits??

eating seems to be the most common substitute for smoking. In any case... gained 9 lbs of fat... now if was 9 lbs of muscle, I would be much happier. 8)

Congrats on your quiting!

The Melaleuca oil is very good for your system as well. I went to Fiji a while back and got a really bad sunburn. The only thing that would help it (and help heal it by the way) was Melaleuca oil.

I use to smoke. I quit cold turkey too. As for eating, try chewing gum; it worked for me.

The other thing I suggest, join a gym. After you have worked out for some time, you will feel so much better that the idea of smoking again is disgusting.... but that isn't to say you will not want one some day, but even that desire fades more and more.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE: Still not smoking. I have gained a little more weight. I am now working out daily if I can. My schedule is a little crazy right now.

I just ordered some of the tooth picks too. Somehow I did not see that post, so I will try them.

I am hoping to lose 20lbs of fat and gain 10 lbs of muscle... it will take awhile... but a worth while goal.

Congrats benj...I wish I had your willpower...alas...I may never stop smoking...thanks government! I can't get US TV shows on my Xbox 360 but I can get addicted to a completely un-beneficial substance...woo*coughcoughhax*t

FYI on those trying to quit smoking (congrats to Jester).

There's a new product on the market that's pretty cool. It's called Chantix and it works like nothing I've ever seen. You start taking it 1 week before you want to quit and take it twice daily for up to 6 months.

The drug binds to the nicotine receptors and produces receptor activity, but much lower activity than what nicotine creates. Additionally, it prevents nicotine from binding to the receptor if you happen to be smoking while on treatment (bonus). Because it has lower activity, the dopamine response is not activated at the same degree as when nicotine is involved. It is the activation of the dopamine response that creates part of the addiction to cigarettes.

What does all this mean to you? Based on the people I've dispensed it to (one being my wife), you actually develop negative responses to smoking. In the beginning, you'll brush your teeth to get rid of the taste, wash your hands to get rid of the smell and eventually cringe at the thought of smoking.

And as an added bonus with your purchase of the Ginsu knives, increased appetite and consequent weight gain is scarcely reported.

The major side effect is nausea, which is consistent with nicotine withdrawl.

t's not cheap, about $120/month. But my wife only needed 1 month and another patient only needed 2 months.

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it.

There's a new product on the market that's pretty cool. It's called Chantix and it works like nothing I've ever seen. You start taking it 1 week before you want to quit and take it twice daily for up to 6 months.

The drug binds to the nicotine receptors and produces receptor activity, but much lower activity than what nicotine creates. Additionally, it prevents nicotine from binding to the receptor if you happen to be smoking while on treatment (bonus). Because it has lower activity, the dopamine response is not activated at the same degree as when nicotine is involved. It is the activation of the dopamine response that creates part of the addiction to cigarettes.

What does all this mean to you? Based on the people I've dispensed it to (one being my wife), you actually develop negative responses to smoking. In the beginning, you'll brush your teeth to get rid of the taste, wash your hands to get rid of the smell and eventually cringe at the thought of smoking.

And as an added bonus with your purchase of the Ginsu knives, increased appetite and consequent weight gain is scarcely reported.

t's not cheap, about $120/month. But my wife only needed 1 month and another patient only needed 2 months.

Hook mo up...my mom would gladly pay that to see me stop smoking! I'm going to assume however that Chantix hasn't been approved by the CFIA

Oooh...I have Pfizer coming in on Friday...I'll ask them if they can bring me a sample!

I quit recently too...cold turkey...i've done it before, so I knew what to expect. I use gum most of the time. As far as the eating goes...just keep a bottle of water nearby...the body treats hunger and thirst almost the same, drinking will almost always curve the craving the same :)

• 4 weeks later...

I would be skeptical with anything that alters the natural function of your body. Not that it doesn't work, but I would be careful.

I quit recently too...cold turkey...i've done it before, so I knew what to expect. I use gum most of the time. As far as the eating goes...just keep a bottle of water nearby...the body treats hunger and thirst almost the same, drinking will almost always curve the craving the same :)

what about the insane 42oz meat cravings? that would take like 2 gallons of water =)