Taking a bike = big fat reduction

*BiGBonES**

I've recently started cycling to college and back twice a day, each time takes roughly 15minutes to get there along a pretty straight road so i can cycle hard and fast. Its actually quicker for me to cycle to college than to catch the bus (i usually over take a couple of buses) and if you add up the time it takes to park a car its equally as quick as driving.

After cycling for two weeks I've basically noticed a thinner waist line and a reduction on the scales, without putting much effort into motivating myself to exercise, as getting to and from college doesn't seem like a chore it just seems like something I have no choice about so I get on and do it.

My basic message, is that if you live within a 40minute cycling radius of your place of work/college, you should seriously try cycling as it has so many health benefits, both in terms of keeping trim and keeping fit. You can also keep thin and fit, without having to take extra time in your daily lives to go about exercising because your naturally doing it whilst transporting yourself to and from work/study places.

Other positivies include being environmentally friendly and saving money that would be spent on bus/gas.

Negatives for me so far:

-At the moment as I'm still getting fit I'm tending to sweat a fair amount which could be a problem if you dont have a change of clothes or a jumper to hide the sweat marks.

-For me, I'm a newb on the roads so its hard going with all the cars bossing me about and beeping etc

-In the first few weeks of cycling you'll need to work on getting your average pace well up so you can accelerate quickly at lights and move quicker on the roads, which basically means your less of annoyance to drivers and you can get to your destination quicker. It takes commitment to build up the relevant muscles but it pays off after a month.

So hopefully some of you will consider taking a bike, look up a route and give it a try, as its benefitted me a lot and I know there are people out there that may also find this useful. Theres no need to reply unless anyone wants to ask any questions or give tips, but I hope it helps! :luxhello:

you too, eh?

i've been riding back and forth to the subway. same gig, about 15 minutes each way, twice a day, 5 days a week. last time i was at the gym i was a hefty 228. i was down to 213 as of last night, and i haven't been to the gym in about a month.

the sweat thing is, or was, an issue. i spent a couple bucks and bought an under-armour style shirt. helps to pull the moisture away from your body. i pack a shirt to change into, carry a stick of deodarant, and i'm styling. not really an issue anymore.

for me the positive isn't the environment or gas saving or any of that junk. i'm so not stressed when i get home. i HATE traffic, i HATE dumb gawkers that look at anything on the side of the freeway, and I HATE traffic. i get home stress free. big plus.

and since i'm taking the subway a good portion of the way, i've read more in the past 8 weeks than i did most of my academic career.

I cycle during the summer for fun and there isn't a better stress reliever than pedaling your butt off for anywhere from 15 to 20 miles a couple times a week. My other moviation is bicycle races. Every summer I do a 50 mile bike race and a 27 mile bike race. I know I can't win either race but its fun to meet so many people from age 14 to 70+ even if there are 60+ year olds kicking my butt. They are some of the most fit people I have ever meet and probably will ever meet. If you really are getting into bicycling maybe think about doing a race or two in your area depending how serious you become.

I used to ride my bike when I was in undergrad.... the negatives I noted were rain and cold. Since I went to Ohio University, there was much of both of those negatives, hence I spent more days walking then riding.

I ditto everything said....

Awhile back I used to bike 20-27miles a day, talk about some ripped quads and abs. Anyone thinkin of doing it, look into getting some good quality biker shorts with double stitching and good gel padding..... sitting on a carbonfiber seat for an hour can hurt the kids and make you infertile simultaneously. Also get light colored "Underarmor" or biking shirt, because 10-15mph wind resistance can be irritable on the skin if you have loose clothing. Personally, I love "UnderArmor", it's elasticity clings tight to the skin and is virtually unnoticeable, second to being naked. Along with the good clothing, you need good gloves, cuz there is a high ratio of vibration felt on the cushiest handlebar grips, so I suggest you look into Pearl gell gloves. They're awesome and you wont have the aches in your arms and hands after a long bike ride.

Hopefully, this is helpful. Next on the list would be bikes, but you can do your own research for that cuz that's a whole different thread!!

Have any of you got anti-pollution masks? I know the pollution in London is terribly bad, and I get annoyed when I cycle behind massive lorries and buses coughing up loads of pollution into my lungs. Are anti-pollution masks effective?

This one costs about as much as gc membership, with 3months of filters (need changing every month)

city%20mask%20200.jpg

slim smiley, if you ever recommend or discuss "good quality biker shorts" again, you're kicked out of the club.

pshssshhhhhhhh.........

those arent quality my stuttering friend, they're a poor student's method to saving up for a weekend in Tijuana.....

bike = saving $$$

cheap biking gear = saving $$$

more $$$ = more fun in Tijuana...... yep yep yahhhhhaaahhhhaaaahhhhaaaaaaAAAEEEEEEE!!!! *insert sombreo here* :ylusy:

SJ you, my burrito eating compadre, should know about that..... no? si? :rolleyes:

Have any of you got anti-pollution masks? I know the pollution in London is terribly bad, and I get annoyed when I cycle behind massive lorries and buses coughing up loads of pollution into my lungs. Are anti-pollution masks effective?

This one costs about as much as gc membership, with 3months of filters (need changing every month)

city%20mask%20200.jpg

never heard of them mainly cause up where i am never had to worry about pollution but my suggestion is that if it is really unbearable then maybe search for something cheaper. otherwise i would make the dive and get one.

• 3 weeks later...

Cycling to work? I would probably have a 10-15 minute bike ride, but.....

I have option

A. Cycling down a 6 lane highway and across an 8 lane interstate.

B. taking short cuts through the woods and trying to cross an 8 lane interstate.

hmm.. I think i will continue to take my motorcyle. :)

Cycling to work? I would probably have a 10-15 minute bike ride, but.....

I have option

A. Cycling down a 6 lane highway and across an 8 lane interstate.

B. taking short cuts through the woods and trying to cross an 8 lane interstate.

hmm.. I think i will continue to take my motorcyle. :)

a bicycle ride then a motorcycle ride makes you enjoy your motorcycle more :) I understand why you wouldn't bicycle to work but you could just ride a bicycle in your free time.

• 2 weeks later...

I commute an hour and fifteen minutes to work almost all freeway, i cant really bike that right now.

I will soon be moving closer to work, it will be a fifteen minute commute straight down the freeway, but thats becouse It is right next to the onramp. a bicycle ride to work may well be an hour or so, though half of it could be along a bike specific trail... Its possible, ill find out next spring, as its cold here and just about snow season, no way im going to do that during winter.

there is a midnight bike ride in chicago every year starts at 1 am at buckingham fountain you ride all through chicago and end up riding down the lakefront as the sun rises! they then serve breakfast at the fountain total is about 25 miles

its funny as people are leaving bars at 3-4 am all stumbling yelling at us some stupid some funny comments--- girls in high heels trying to give the bike riders high fives its really funny

last time I did this I didn't really workout or train or anything just grabbed my bike and drove downtown. I had a two liter bottle of wiskey/pop strapped to the bike and when I was done I had 4 buttocks :zombie: took about two weeks my butt to heal :)

I didn't have those cool gel filled riding shorts haha

good time highly recommended

Edited by w8t4time