Zune vs. Ipod

[LaW]Maverick

Personally, I'm going to pre-order a Zune on friday (probably). I've read a lot about them, and Microsoft's initial releases on hardware are always good. My original XBOX had no trouble, and neither has my 360.

I know it's basically a revamped..uh...I can't remember which brand, but I'm thinking Toshiba or Samsung, but the key word is "revamped"

I love the idea of WiFi sharing and the fact that I don't have to plug into a computer to log on and buy a song if I want to. Who knows, maybe I'll pay for my songs! It's a novel idea...I know

They're also launching with it several accessory packs to complement it, and they are quite attractive. So what do you guys think?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's all about the 'pod, baby. the biggest reason i'm anti-zune? the proposed wifi implementation SUCKS. it's nothing more than a glorified bluetooth, and basically only zune to zune. if you're going to wifi the device, make it fully wifi-able. let me connect to the web, email, myspace (lol) and most imporatantly, to my legal torrent sharing services itunes store or zunetune store. it'd also make sense to incorporate a smartphone/pda feature. one can dream, right?

@ lazy pants:

http://www.digg.com/?s=zune

Okay then.

I prefer the zune. Becuase I am anti-apple software and hardware.

good reason.

I will be getting an ipod soon, i love apple, computers and mp3 players. I will wait on the Zune, if it becomes amazing like the ipod did, maybe i will buy it but i love my old 2nd Gen ipod so im gonna get a new ipod for now

Perhaps the most appealing to me is the home A/V pack. It comes with any accessory you need to sync the thing with you PC, to plug it directly into your stereo, and even comes with a remote. Why do I like this so much?

Well, with an Ipod there are a million and one accessories you pop your ipod into to make it a stereo. The home A/V pack comes with a cradle that connects to any of your home A/V stuff, including your TV. That means you can pop your Zune in, sit back in the chair of your choice, and control the music without having to get up thanks to the handy-dandy remote. You can do it with your existing stereo, and still get the "cool feeling" of just being able to plug the thing in and sit, no messing around with wires more than once. The cradle is nice, and accessories that have Ipod cradles are one of the reasons the thing is a success.

The travel kit is also nice. It comes with retractable "fashionable" headphones. (I could care less 'bout fashion, but it's a selling point). It also comes with a case and all the syncing stuff. It also comes with more charging methods (car, USB, etc.). I'll see if I can find a link a lil' later to post up the packages.

Why do I like it over the Ipod? Well, I agree that crippling the WiFi is...well...dumb, but you can bet it'll be hacked within a month or 2 of launch or there will be 3rd party software out there to add capability to the connection. The main reason, however, is itunes...I hate Apple's software. I use it regularly, and I have to tell ya' that Creative has better software for mp3 players.

Also, MS is trying to be a little less exclusive...I think. The Zune will have its Zune specific accessories, but it looks to me like MS is trying more to incoroporate it into the A/V stuff you already have rather than replace it all like Apple does.

I also hate the touch wheel. That's purely a taste thing though.

The Zune is cheaper and has more features.

The Zune has a better screen.

That 'bout sums it up

n00bs its all about da spoons and da kazoo. but relly i have a video ipod and its awsome im not fond of apple at all. hate itunes i use win amp but relly my only complaint for teh ipod is that apple couldnt put the most obvious feture on thier program the ablility to get songs off ur ipod onto ur computer errr its so frusterrating. and as far as the zune goes i was to cheap to by my own ipod <3 christmas

I would never get an ipod because of:

Proprietary audio format

Needs iTunes

Hardly any features

Expensive

Short battery life

I will have to do some research on the Zune; I have never heard of it.

wrong, it takes any audio format except wma

wrong again

249 for 30gb? thats expensive? same price as zune i believe

ya 20hrs is way to short for HD player and not Flash, actually its very good battery life

BTW Maverick, I have the Apple A/V connection kit for the ipod and it has a remote and everything too, sounds great on my stereo. And mine is a 2nd Gen

Proven Mp3 player vs something that could be good or bad

Maverick' date='Oct 5 2006, 01:24 PM' post='369845']

Personally, I'm going to pre-order a Zune on friday (probably). I've read a lot about them, and Microsoft's initial releases on hardware are always good. My original XBOX had no trouble, and neither has my 360.

I know it's basically a revamped..uh...I can't remember which brand, but I'm thinking Toshiba or Samsung, but the key word is "revamped"

I love the idea of WiFi sharing and the fact that I don't have to plug into a computer to log on and buy a song if I want to. Who knows, maybe I'll pay for my songs! It's a novel idea...I know

They're also launching with it several accessory packs to complement it, and they are quite attractive. So what do you guys think?

I wait... to see if it flops or flys.