Low FPS and temperature

Snowblind

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 3.2 GHz (Hyper Threading enabled)

MoBo: MSI P4N Diamond

HDDs: Maxtor 160 GBs (main) and Western Digi. 240 GBs

Vid Card: nVidia (MSI) 7900 GTX - running monitor at 1280x1024

Mem: 2 Gigs Corsair DDR2

Case: Antec P180

And this is my heatsink

kk, my idle temperature is ~44C and on CSS Load it is ~55C--Is this to hot? I think it is, I have two 120mm fans exhasting near it--1 above the heatsing and 1 behind it (blowing out the back of the case). And on the front I have two intaking, I'm unsure of the heatsink and video cards heatsing direction.

For my FPS, the video stress test gave me 96 FPS, I was running net_graph and I'd say it averaged 101ish..

In game, though, I'd estimate ~55-85 It obviously pretty low for my rig, any thoughts?

mdl detail: High *

texture detail: high*

Shader: High*

Water: Simple

Shadwo: High*

Color correct: Disabled

AntiAliasing: 2x

Filter mode: Trilinear

Vertical Sync: disabled

HDR: None

Well I hooked up my CRT monitor because my max fps is only 60 on my LCD. I maxed out all my settings in CS and in the ATI control panel.

I played cs_millitia in CS:S for about 10 min. and watched my fps stay pretty much at 118-120 the whole time. After exiting I found my CPU Temp was 35 degrees C.

CPU AMD X2 4800

MOBO Asus A8R32-MVP Crossfire motherboard

HDD: Maxtor 250GB SATA2

Video Card: Saphire X1900XTX 512mb running at 1280x1024

RAM: 2GB GSKILL Extreme Series 2-3-2-5 RAM

I have the Thermalright 90c heatsink and a Thermaltake Silent Cat fan

I have an Aerocool Extreme Engine case with a thermaltake bigwheel fan for exaust.

Now that I'm done typing my temp has dropped to 28 degrees C.

can't ever go wrong with lower temps. I highly recoment Thermaltake smart fans for the loud cool solution and if you case can fit it the thermaltake big wheel is awesome.

Edited by Preacher

when i had my old p4 630, it would generally run about that hot. those cpus run warm, period. I did throw some artic silver in, which dropped my temps some.

my new conroe, on the other hand, 31c under load.... gotta love that :D

(edited)

kk, I wasn't sure on the temp thing--it started spiking up to 60C recently. Tomorrow I'm going to switch it out with a sonic tower heatsink I have, and as for the cold air I haven't really away to do that, unless I switch the back fans to intake and the front to exhaust. Not ready to do that though, I'm trying to dust proof my case .

512 on the vid card, LCD Monitor is at 75Hz atm, I'll try my CRT tomorrow.

Thanks for all the tips/advice--an so quickly too :)

Edited by Snowblind

(edited)

snowblind, nothing wrong at all with those numbers. you're cpu limited. those p4s suck the big one.

btw, you didn't average 101 if your result came back as 96. you averaged 96. that's what the test gives. the average.

Edited by Cujo

It could be anything. Your mobo/chipset has everything to do with performance.

AMD 64 2.2 ghz

2 gigs corsair ram

x800 GTO

ECS motherboard

I was having some reliability issues with my chipset, so I got a new DFI nf3 motherboard. My FPS in source went from 40-60 to 100-200. It's incredible.

snowblind, nothing wrong at all with those numbers. you're cpu limited. those p4s suck the big one.

btw, you didn't average 101 if your result came back as 96. you averaged 96. that's what the test gives. the average.

I got the 101 from a few numbers I took down off net graph. Though the test is probably more accurate

But I switched heatsinks to the sonic tower, it has a 120 mm fan on it, blowing up and out, and I moved my HDDs down to the bottom part of the case (look up antec p180 and you'll understand) so now I just have a 120 MM fan there intaking air and room temp air enters the case vs air heated by HDDs.

I've seen a considerable temp drop, as I'm typing this (just finished playing GWs a few minutes ago too) it dropped to ~37C, as for gaming it is between ~44-48C So I'm satisfied there.

For the FPS, I switched to my CRT for a bit but I couldn't get used to it, but I noticed a performance increase in overall, didn't reflect in the tests but reflected in gameplay. But we'll see after I play a bit with the LCD again.

(edited)

i'm quite familar with the p180 and i believe you have the best set up now though i'd still leave the hard drives with a fan on them.

btw, your monitor will not affect your fps what-so-ever. any performance increase you saw would be probably a lack of ghosting.

i re-read through your settings at the top of the page. i would turn your aa to 4 and af to 16. max your water as well. none of those settings should affect your fps at all with that card and that resolution.

again, if you're looking for a performance increase then ditch that old p4 and get a new core 2. you'll see fps gains in the area of at least 50%.

Edited by Cujo

(edited)
again, if you're looking for a performance increase then ditch that old p4 and get a new core 2. you'll see fps gains in the area of at least 50%.

I made such a switch, and got performance changes in CS:S from 65-80 fps average to 180-200 fps average. Went from P4 630 to core 2 E6600. Here's my setup (only changes were mobo/cpu):

Intel Core 2 E6600

Asus P5B

eVGA 7800GT CO

2GB Corsair ValueRAM (cheap, yet effective)

WD200GB SATA2

Edited by boilersax

i'm quite familar with the p180 and i believe you have the best set up now though i'd still leave the hard drives with a fan on them.

btw, your monitor will not affect your fps what-so-ever. any performance increase you saw would be probably a lack of ghosting.

i re-read through your settings at the top of the page. i would turn your aa to 4 and af to 16. max your water as well. none of those settings should affect your fps at all with that card and that resolution.

Wow, thats quite a gain.

I may check out compat. with my MoBo and consider it or just wait till I build a new computer. Thx for all the advice. ;p